Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Might have made an awful mistake!!
By emydivah
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:43 PM

Hello,
I started dance when I was six did it for 2 years then quit started back up when i was 10 til 14 and then I quit at the beginning of the year. I quit because of the teachers and the students and it got to the point that I actually dreaded going. So i quit and i thought it was because i was dreading dance. Yesterday I found old dance stuff and I was looking through it and I realized I was crying...does that mean I still want to dance? I make up dances all the time and lately everybody is saying to me "Why did you quit dance?" "You were so good" "You could have been great" and I don't know what to do. Did I make a terrible mistake? I think it might be different if I went to a different studio...help! I'm so confused. I found my first pointe shoes the other day and I went to put them on and they didn't fit and I freaked out i felt like they were my last connection. HELP! I also feel like i want to prove my other teachers wrong and show them they messed up is that normal?

6 Replies to Might have made an awful mistake!!

re: Might have made an awful mistake!!
By DancinAngel19
On Mon Oct 04, 2010 07:47 AM
Is there another studio you could go to? Try that and see how you feel then. Teachers and students make all the difference in the world. You may have better experience somewhere else and end up loving it.
By mcdancer13
On Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:38 AM
I would suggest trying a different studio. If you feel like dance is your passion then continue dancing. I had to stop dancing my sixth grade year and I thought I was ok with it until I went to my studio's recital and I cried through the whole thing. I had the ache in my heart that told me what I was missing. I went back to dancing and I haven't stopped since. I am now a Sophomore Dance Education major and I love every minute of it.

So the moral of my story is if you feel like you have something missing in your life then keep dancing. Try a new studio and dance to make you happy, not to prove someone wrong. Dance for yourself. I hope this helps.

~Peace*Love*Dance~
By luvs2dancealot
On Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:22 PM
I agree with the above posters, go to a different studio!
By Starfly
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 06:05 PM
I was in a really similar position to you...but I didn't get back into dancing for years and really regret it! Don't let what anyone said or did stop you from doing what you love...dance will always be in you...you just need to find the right outlet for yourself :) and hey, its not like mistakes can't be undone!

Definitely agree with the other posts...find somewhere new where you can just be yourself doing what you love in freedom. You have a beautiful gift...prove it to yourself that you are capable of doing what you were designed to do.

All the best x
By footundeez
On Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:19 AM
Try a different studio! If this is what you love, and you know in your heart, it will not be too late. goodluck hun!
By maddieluvs2dance
On Mon Nov 08, 2010 08:53 AM
I agree with everyone else that you need to try a new studio. Not all studios are the right fit for everyone, so be sure to observe a few classes or take a class if the studio will allow you. No matter what you do, don't give up! You have a special gift so KEEP DANCING!

ReplySendWatch