Forum: Advice / Stretching Photos - Members

Stretching Photos - Members
Backbend, advice?
By cara_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 335, member since Mon Jun 21, 2010
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 01:35 PM

This is my backbend/bridge. Its not the best picture but its the best i have :) I know there is room for improvement so tell me what you think and what can i do to improve?
Cara :) xx

11 Replies to Backbend, advice?

re: Backbend, advice?
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2092, member since Wed Feb 02, 2005
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 02:26 PM
Edited by DancingBeaner (121335) on 2010-10-03 14:27:08
That looks great already!
Try shifting your weight a little more onto your arms and shoulders from your legs, to be able to straighten your legs out (make sure they are together too!). You should have your arms straight with your shoulders in line with your hands.

Here is a picture of what I mean since I am horribly bad at explaining things sometimes.

Image hotlink - 'http://z.about.com/d/gymnastics/1/5/N/8/-/-/DSC_0038.jpg' (from gymnasticbodies.com)
By Supergirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5658, member since Mon Jul 21, 2003
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 03:00 PM
^ I agree with the above comment.
We can see from your picture that you back/lower back has quite a lot of flexibility, but at the moment your shoulders do not. If you worked a little more on your shoulders and upper back, your bridge/backbend would look like the above picture in very little time. Keep up the hard work.

Lauren
By cara_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 335, member since Mon Jun 21, 2010
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 03:11 PM
Thankyou for replying :) I've been looking around for tips on how to increase the flexibility in my shoulders but I cannot find anything. Anybody have any stretches or something I could try?
Cara xx
By MisterMistermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1063, member since Sat Apr 10, 2004
On Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:33 AM
Great photo! I like your stretching very much. I am not good with backbending...

MisterMister
On Mon Oct 04, 2010 01:08 PM
I took the advice given by DancingBeaner and this is how my backbend looked. If anybody could give me anymore advice please do :) x
By leanne100 Comments: 409, member since Fri Apr 02, 2010
On Mon Oct 04, 2010 01:18 PM
hiya
try to straighten your legs
(so no bent knees)
:D
and try to put your weight to the upper part of the body!
hope this helps
:P
xxx
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2092, member since Wed Feb 02, 2005
On Mon Oct 04, 2010 01:56 PM
The new pictures look great! Just aim to straighten your arms and have your shoulders directly above your hands if you can! (So that your shoulders, arms, and hands all make one straight line.)
On Mon Oct 04, 2010 03:21 PM
I was trying to straighten my arms and when I did manage it I felt a stretch so I'm doing it every night to see if it helps :) any other advice welcome :)
By Supergirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5658, member since Mon Jul 21, 2003
On Tue Oct 05, 2010 09:39 AM
Edited by Supergirl (69641) on 2010-10-05 09:41:25
You can make your shoulders more flexible using a theraband or a rope instead of linking your arms in the pictures below. (I used to use a Bathrobe Tie) Bend forward Then straighten your arms as far as they go and try and keep them close together.
Like this: Image hotlink - 'http://www.dailystoke.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/forward_bend_shoulder_stretch1.jpg'

Then stand up and try this:
Image hotlink - 'http://www.fpes.com.au/images/Abdominal_Shoulder_Stretch.JPG'

The most recent pictures are a great improvement already!
Also try 'rocking' your bridge keeping your hips up, with your legs as straight as possible and push through your shoulders.
Hope this helps.
Lauren
By Chihiro Comments: 81, member since Fri Sep 03, 2010
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:42 AM
You can also stretch your shoulders by kneeling on the floor, putting your arms out in front of you, and stretching your armpits toward the ground with your butt in the air. You can also do the same thing standing with your hands on the barre.
By Dancer5000 Comments: 8, member since Sat Jul 31, 2010
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:27 AM
Try tucking your head under mmore
Straitening your arms
Straightening your feet
Walking your feet in closer
Lay on your belly and try and lean back as far as possible and bend your knees to touch your head with your toes

hope ive helped :)

ReplySendWatch