Forum: General / Contests

Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4
Contests
It's back! The 4th Annual DDN Karaoke Contest!! (karma: 7)
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:08 PM
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-11-16 06:40:30 Contest extended
Locked by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-12-20 20:44:49 Contest over! Stay tuned for results!

You asked for it, so here it is again!

This is the Fourth Annual DDN Karaoke Contest!

Contest closes at 11:59pm November 12th, 2010, DDN time.
Contest extended until 11:59pm November 20th, 2010, DDN time.

You have just over a month to enter. This is to give enough time for people to select, rehearse and record a song.

What to do: Upload (or link to) video footage or audio of yourself singing karaoke. Audio files or footage where the face is not visible should contain an introduction with your DDN username.

There will be two major prizes awarded.

The winner of the Best Karaoke Singer will win a Premium Membership, a trophy and karma.
The winner of the Funniest Karaoke Singer will win a Premium Membership, a trophy and karma.
Runners up in each category will win ribbons and a surprise.

You may enter more than once. You may enter in both categories or have multiple entries in the one category.
Entries must have an accompanying backing track. Unaccompanied entries will be deemed ineligible for prizes. Karaoke is, by nature, performed with backing tracks.

Criteria:
The singers in the "Best" category will be judged on song choice*, accuracy, technique, interpretation and overall performance.
*Song choice is with regard to the appropriateness of the song for the singer.

The singers in the "Funniest" category will be judged on the laugh-o-meter, interpretation and overall performance. "Funniest" does not necessarily mean "Best intentionally bad performance". Humorous songs, satire and parody are all acceptable.

The judge's decision is final.

To see some of the fabulous performances from previous years, see the 2007 Contest, 2008 Contest or 2009 Contest
To see the complete results, look here: 2007 Results 2008 Results 2009 Results
Who will take the prizes in 2010?

Helen

88 Replies to It's back! The 4th Annual DDN Karaoke Contest!!

re: It's back! The 4th Annual DDN Karaoke Contest!!
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:13 PM
Yay! I'm glad you brought the contest back, Helen, it's so much fun!

{runs off to search for the perfect song}

:)
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Sat Feb 05, 2005
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:30 AM
Ahhh that's sooo weird, so I was thinking of doing the Smith's "There is a light that never goes out", because it's a current fave, but I wanted to check out the waters first, so I decided to click the first link to check out one of the videos, and I clicked on panic's 2007 entry, and it was the SAME SONG. WEIRD WEIRD, and panic is not going to believe in this coincidence, but I LOVE THAT SONG, and he did it really well! Maybe I should still sing it to try and do it better! muahaha.
re: It's back! The 4th Annual DDN Karaoke Contest!! (karma: 2)
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 02:44 AM
To kick things off, here's me today singing "There's a Fine Fine Line" from Avenue Q. Of course, this is ineligible for any prizes. www.youtube.com . . .

Helen
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2331, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 03:20 AM
Do you have any language limitations? I got a Chinese pop song that I managed to find the accompanying track to.
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 03:22 AM
You can sing in whatever language you like. As long as you have a backing track, it's all good!

Helen
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 05:14 AM
Meh I can't find a song I like :(
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 07:04 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, turn your volume down, don't get over excited and be prepared to turn it off and run away......here is my entry:

Claireyfaerie85 singing Amazing Grace....
www.youtube.com . . .
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 07:57 AM
Ok I found my song!!! Can I shotgun it haha I just have to wait til my roomate is not here
By Caulfieldmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 400, member since Mon Aug 31, 2009
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 08:29 AM
YESSSS! I'm so glad you went through with the contest. Once my family has evacuated the premises, I'll be all over this...if I can choose a song.

Because right now, I'm completely torn between ripping up some Queen or Barry Mann.

Typical Caulfield.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 08:53 AM
OMG I just came here to post There's a Fine Fine Line from Avenue Q! Damn you Helen!
re: It's back! The 4th Annual DDN Karaoke Contest!! (karma: 4)
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 09:10 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2010-10-08 09:15:20 fixed stuff
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2010-10-08 09:17:14 more fixes... if only I could fix my voice...
'Kay... time for the first of the tone deaf to try. Right, let me clarify some things, I don't pretend to be able to sing, typically people leave the room when I do... or turn the music up louder to drown me out. Secondly, this song is way above my "range." Quote-unquote range. (That's assuming I have a range.) Colon-pee. Um, stop before the end of the song because the end is especially painful, even to me - at about 4:00 mins is really cringe worthy and it only gets worse from there.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Don't listen to this, because Sumayah can't sing.
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:03 AM
^ nice one!! Love the cat.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:46 AM
Sumayah wrote:

'Kay... time for the first of the tone deaf to try. Right, let me clarify some things, I don't pretend to be able to sing, typically people leave the room when I do... or turn the music up louder to drown me out. Secondly, this song is way above my "range." Quote-unquote range. (That's assuming I have a range.) Colon-pee. Um, stop before the end of the song because the end is especially painful, even to me - at about 4:00 mins is really cringe worthy and it only gets worse from there.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Don't listen to this, because Sumayah can't sing.

Hey! I've been pronouncing your user name correctly! WHOO!

Hmm...it's time for me to pick a song and hopefully not embarrass myself.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:41 PM
I'm so ready for this this year. I have the worst cough in the world and practically no voice but I'm doing it anyway. *goes song searching*
By Helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6305, member since Tue Dec 03, 2002
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 02:33 PM
Helen you have a great voice, much better than this Helen anyway.

Helen
re: It's back! The 4th Annual DDN Karaoke Contest!! (karma: 6)
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 03:49 PM
Disclaimers:

1. I've had a cough for a month, and my voice is kinda shredded.

2. I'm classically trained but I have no idea how to sing pop music, so I just kind of shout, vaguely in-tune.

3. I obviously don't speak German. Sorry for the butchery in the one verse.

99 Red Balloons
re: It's back! The 4th Annual DDN Karaoke Contest!! (karma: 3)
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2331, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 04:18 PM
Edited by iliah (130543) on 2010-10-08 16:37:53 added youtube link
Well, here's my entry! I'm sorry you have to download it as an mp3 file, because my camera doesn't let me record long videos.

www.fileden.com . . .

-edit- I managed to figure out how to upload it on youtube! :D OFFICIAL ENTRY LINK

Here's the original: www.youtube.com . . .

And I wrote a rough translation of the lyrics:

I cannot see through your lost soul
I cannot guess the color of your eyes
Love, like a gust of wind or a dream, is too unpredictable in life
What blinded your heart?
Your outline fades into the night
I watch the cherry blossoms, and wonder what kind of fruit they will bear
Watching you hold me
Your gaze is lonelier than the color of the moon
You are happier in someone else’s arms
My love for you, like heartbeat, is difficult to feel with bare hands
I can paint your portrait, but not your bones
I will stubbornly wait for you, and remember your face
You are my unfinished song
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 04:35 PM
OK guys...I haven't sung since my voice broke at age 13 and I've never done karaoke in my life. I also don't really DO pop music. But I do play fiddle so here is my contribution...collectively with the other members of the Ars Nova Chamber Orchestra. The excerpt is the Scherzo from
Shostakovich's 9th symphony recorded live in concert this past June.

www.ancowashington.org

I am the #4 violinist in the 2nd fiddles, the old guy with a full head of hair just in front of the two horn players at about 10 or 11 o'clock from the conductor and with a light orangey colored violin. The photo is from an earlier concert at the same auditorium (a church actually.)
re: It's back! The 4th Annual DDN Karaoke Contest!! (karma: 4)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 07:29 PM
OMG, this was an ordeal. I couldn't hear anything while I was singing and the mic levels are terrible. I probably should have just used the laptop mic. Everybody's Changing by Keane.
On Sat Oct 09, 2010 06:15 AM
Wow! It's so great to have five entries already! Go team!

claireyfaerie85 - Woohoo! Brave first entry! Great effort! That song is deceptively difficult. And your accent is totally cute.

Sumayah - This was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, based on your description of your voice. I actually think you've got a trainable voice in there. :) And the cat pictures were gold.

Megan - For someone who is so seriously trained in classical singing, you did an admirable job of the pop style!

iliah - This is a lovely song. I really enjoyed listening to it and it was a good choice for you. Good job!

Panic - As always, you're such a star. I'd love to hear another entry if you can get your sound issues sorted out.

Helen
On Sat Oct 09, 2010 06:56 AM
more entries possibly coming up later today...ha ha ha
I have a weird accent - I travelled a lot and my ex was in the army so I kinda picked up words and phrases here and there. Grew up in Kent and now living in Notts and going to uni in South Yorkshire so a right mix...I just don't want a northern accent :D
On Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:56 AM
Entry number 2...just had to do this one...badly
re: It's back! The 4th Annual DDN Karaoke Contest!! (karma: 3)
On Mon Oct 11, 2010 02:52 AM
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-10-11 02:53:30 Fixed markup code.
^Um... no entry attached.

I've decided I'm going to do as many of these as I can. Here's "Let's Play a Love Scene" from Fame the Musical.

Helen
On Mon Oct 11, 2010 02:59 AM
Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed