Forum: Arts / Acting

Memorising Difficult Lines
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 03:44 AM

I'm in my second semester of Drama, and I am alright at rememering lines. It takes me longer than most, but I eventually get there. I am just wondering what are some tips to remembering them? Also, I will be performing a scene from Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing on Monday morning. I can only remember up to a certain point and I desperately need help. So are there any tips to memorising these difficult lines? I have trouble getting my tounge around most words and then I stop, panic and have to look at my lines. My teacher has been quite angry that I can't read without it, so I have to get this right.

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies to Memorising Difficult Lines

re: Memorising Difficult Lines
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 AM
Write out the line once or twice. It reaally helps to get it STUCK in there. practice JUST your trouble lines in front of a mirror, with WAY TOO MUCH expression, and memorize the lines before and after. Remember the point of the line, try to figure out WHY its important. By the time you've focused on it that much, it'll be pretty much stuck.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:32 PM
Record yourself saying those lines and listen to it over and over again. That's what I did when I had to memorize monologues and such.

Dani
On Fri Oct 08, 2010 02:48 PM
Thank you so much. I'll be trying those ideas today!
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:18 AM
Make "memory stops". Pick spots throughout your monologue and memorise the first few words of each stop. If you have a lapse, then instead of looking at your lines, you can skip to the next stop. Then once you've gotten to the end, check back on your script to see where you made the mistake and what the correction is. Looking at the lines becomes a crutch. You will never be able to get through the monologue without the lines if you keep using them as a safety blanket.

This method is what I've used for years and I can learn three page scripts in an hour or so now.

Helen
On Sat Oct 09, 2010 01:01 AM
Wow, thanks Helen. It's more broken up lines, like there's me, then a few characters, then my lines again. But I'll try that for sure. Thank you.

ReplySendWatch