Popular Teachers

Bunny In A Hat? by kabourgeois
Anyone have the song Bunny In A Hat? I think it was from a Hoctor Record - Magical Mr. George. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Kallie my email is kabourgeois77@gmail.com

Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 10 of 161 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
re: Out of the Nether in my finest dress... en>fr fr>en
By Luthmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1605, member since Wed Sep 21, 2005
On Thu Jul 28, 2011 01:07 PM
Hihihi Epica...theyre from my country *feels a bit proud* Actually to be honest Im not that big a fan of them, there are a few songs I like but thats it. I LOVED nightwish before they threw out Tarja Turunen (typo) now...not so much. Sentenced I do like, but I think my metal days are coming a bit to an end as I listen to classical music much more now.
By Sumayah Comments: 6191, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:42 AM
I'm much the same way. If I'm going to do something, I do it thoroughly and painstakingly. I think it's why I hate cleaning so much. I can't just wipe down the surfaces and vacuum, I feel like it isn't good enough unless I break out the toothbrush and q-tips and clean each slat in the blinds, every groove in the furniture. So it's easier to just not clean at all then get overwhelmed by all the minutiae of doing a proper job of it. It's both frustrating and infuriating because things would be some much simpler otherwise.
By Puss_in_Bootsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4516, member since Mon Jun 03, 2002
On Sun Jul 31, 2011 03:52 AM
ZOMBIE ANTS ARE GOING TO DESTROY THE WORLD.

I just sent off an email to find out if the intensive basic Finnish course at the uni here has any spare places. The registration cut-off was back in June and I missed it by like two days so I was all whatever, I totally just did a basic course and got nearly top marks so I don't need this. Now that the summer holidays are nearly over I'm not nearly so awesome (I've cemented a lot of vocab that is relevant to the house/children that I probably wouldn't've remembered, but I've also forgotten a lot that I have no reason to use). Besides, there are some things that I didn't learn in the last course that I would learn this time, and this is a lot more intensive - 4 hours of class every week day for the whole month, as opposed to 1.5 hour classes twice a week for 6 weeks. I was holding back because I wasn't sure that my host parents would want to pay for ANOTHER basic course, but my host mother actually urged me to send the email because it would give me something to do and I'd be able to meet people. I guess all this talk about money running out for the house doesn't include "money to spend on everything else". I need to stop feeling guilty.

If I can do that course, I should be ready for Suomi 2 in September. If not, I guess I'll just have to read the textbook I got in Oulu until I am ready.

I said HEY - WHAT'S GOING ON?!?!

It's also really weird when you open a link and see your kitten drinking from a tap even though it's not actually your kitten but holy crap does it look like her. (Forgive me for inflicting the lack of capitalisation on you all. It was necessary to include context. And also image credit.)

We went blueberry picking yesterday. We've frozen some but there's still a big bucket of them that should be used in a couple of days. Blueberry tea cake? Don't mind if I do...

... of course, I still need to find something that can be used as a cake tin. And hopefully they have skewers so I can stab it to check that it's cooked because I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to cakes.

Payday tomorrow! Most of that will be going towards buying riding lessons for the next 10 weeks (works out quite a bit cheaper in the long run) but still, having 35 euros in one's bank account is definitely better than 6.

Someone totally* ditched me as a friend on facebook. All I can think about is how much more aesthetically pleasing 176 is. Although "177" was cool because I like double/triple/quadruple numbers. Well gosh, I'm undecided now!

Somehow I don't think this is how it's supposed to work.

*You know when you start using words ironically and then it backfires on you because suddenly you've developed a habit of using that word and don't know how to cope without it? That happened to me. True story.
By Puss_in_Bootsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4516, member since Mon Jun 03, 2002
On Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:52 PM
And it's the start of a new month, so I finally bit the bullet and logged onto my Australian internet banking to check the balance of my Visa debit card - the one which made my Helsinki trip possible.

I spent a LOT of money. Like, $150 more than I was expecting. And my balance is low enough that that is a big deal. And by "big deal", I mean I'm actually teetering on the edge of a panic attack. Not that I can quite find it in me to regret going to Helsinki and to Tuska and to Hämeenlinna because I had a fantastic time and am seriously considering moving to Helsinki when I can afford it, but all those damn train tickets....

Quick, think happy thoughts!

Cake! I made one. With blueberries inside and icing sugar on top. It's not bad either, for me.

Finally watched Black Swan last night. Actually it was funny, because on Saturday afternoon I saw on Facebook that one of my old dance teachers was watching it for the first time, and about 10 minutes later my host father was browsing the R-kioski website for new rental DVDs and said "A-ha! Black Swan!" And then we rented it. It freaked me the hell out, too. Fantastic movie of course, but I'm not good at even the tiniest bit of gore (other people's blood makes me cringe) and it was disturbing seeing the way perfectionism can destroy people and knowing that I could be one of those people if I'm not careful. :?

And back to happy thoughts: just realised that my host mother will be home for most of tomorrow so I should be able to see Harry Potter tomorrow evening! I'm not a big movie-goer but I've seen every other HP movie in the cinema so I couldn't handle it if I missed out on this one.
On Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:36 PM
I had a relatively early night last night. So early that I was actually afraid that I'd be tossing and turning for a few hours, but when all I was doing was getting myself into a state I figured that trying to escape by sleeping was worth a shot. Apparently I needed it, too, because I not only went to sleep quite quickly but I also slept really well.

Before I went to the cinema to see HP7.2 I ducked into Punnitse & Säästä to buy some coffee and there was totally a cute guy behind the counter. HE WAS CUTE *AND* HE WORKS IN AN ECO GROCERY STORE. Maybe Jyväskylä isn't so bad after all...?

So. Harry Potter. Brilliant, of course, and I cried less than a minute into it. Then I didn't cry for a while, and then I sobbed for most of the second half. I was worried that I'd feel empty afterwards, like I did when I finished the book, but actually I feel more fulfilled than anything else, which is great because emotionally it's been a rough week and it's not even halfway through yet.

Back to riding tomorrow. I feel so unfit that I actually did a bit of ballet this afternoon, just by myself in the house. I'm half expecting to be completely out of condition but then I remind myself that not much can happen in 2 weeks and that I'm paranoid and also too hard on myself.

The 12 free music therapy sessions have been confirmed! I'm starting in September. I know 12 weeks isn't long when trying to beat 20 years of thought patterns but it's got to be better than nothing.
On Thu Aug 04, 2011 05:31 AM
Edited by Puss_in_Boots (29298) on 2011-08-04 05:37:14
I always get it into my head that I'm unlikeable and people find me weird, even though most people that I meet tend to show signs of liking (or at least being able to tolerate) me. I don't know why I do it; it's stupid.

I mention it now because something triggered it yesterday. Not going to go into it though, because dwelling on problems tends to make them bigger than they should be. My skin is enough of a mess without me stressing out even more.

Having said that, here I go.....

You know what makes me mad? Fearmongering. Not only because fear makes people do things that they would normally say are bad... it's the whole condescending aspect as well. Like because we don't agree with somebody, we're incapable of understanding logic, so they need to frighten us into submission. It's sad how many people fall for it, too. :?

Starting to think that my host mother is completely unrealistic. She pretty much wants me to JUST be her son's friend - meaning I'm not to discipline if, say, he's annoying his sister to the point where she asks me for help... of course that wouldn't happen though - so that he doesn't miss her while she's away, but then she wants to be all close-big-happy-family with him when she's home. Not going to work with this kid. The amount of times I've tried to coax this kid into doing something: "Come on, it'll make me happy." "Come on, it'll make Daddy happy." He doesn't WANT me or Daddy to be happy though; he only wants MUMMY to be happy. She also keeps telling me that he's "only 5 years old", and yeah, every so often I wonder if I should just let him go, especially seeing as he's not my child. Thing is, though, every time I start questioning, out comes proof that persistance does pay off: this morning he tried to demand something from me, I said no and told him how to phrase it more nicely, he was silent for a couple of minutes and then calmly asked me, using the words that I'd suggested. Two months ago that same scenario resulted in a big mess... now, no drama at all. So no, I don't expect too much from him. If I did, I would be punishing him for not adhering to some set of artitrary standards. I think she's confusing that with me not backing down as soon as he starts screaming. Although I'd like to know how she's making judgments on my expectations of him when she's not even around to see most of what goes on between the two of us. Harrumph. And yes, while I realise that I let off a lot of steam about him, I am still making an effort to improve our relationship, and while he seems to be mostly indifferent to me, we do have some fun, and I always make sure that I use positive reinforcement when he does behave. I'm not a horrible person, I swear!
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10636, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Thu Aug 04, 2011 05:43 AM
Sounds to me you´re better in educating a kid then she is... Saying "oh, he´s only five years old" leads directly to a kid that is years older, but learned he does not need to listen. Kids are never too young to learn to listen. Educating a child starts with giving birth! And I think you do right with the way you handle him. Yes, he is not your child, but you still have to live with him for half a year!
On Thu Aug 04, 2011 05:56 AM
Yeah, that's the thing: he already doesn't think that he needs to listen to anyone. Honestly I feel like she needs to drum it into him that when it's just me looking after him, he needs to listen to me. She's said it a couple of times to him, but because he says yes when she has a talk to him and then asks if he understands, she's under the impression that she doesn't need to repeat things because he understand the situation. I think having my host sister first is part of the problem. She's just so easy... I can only think of a handful of times where she's defied me and even that was very quietly continuing to do what she was doing. It was annoying, but I wasn't tearing my hair out over it.

She seems to not like to hear anything bad about her children though. About the only thing she'll concede to is that her son throws tantrums, and even that's easily explained away by the fact that he's 5 and strong-willed and adults just need to be able to pick their battles. I should probably start making a bigger deal of the good things that happen while she's away to try to soften it for her. I'm the sort of person who tends to be happy with, "it all went fine," because if I want more details I'll ask more questions, but I guess we don't have as much in common as I originally thought, so it's time to change my approach.
By Luthmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1605, member since Wed Sep 21, 2005
On Thu Aug 04, 2011 06:03 AM
I dont think I would like to hear anything bad about my children either, if I had them that is. Because it would also reflect on me and my parenting skills and I would feel bad. But we have to be realistic and know that children are not perfect and they still need to grow up, therefor there can always be improvement in parenting :P
I have a dog which well she is like a baby to me, I ALWAYS get very upset when someone says something bad about her, but when its an honest and realistic comment that makes me think and say well your right, then I can do something with it. So its a double feeling. I know a dog is not a kid :P but I can understand why the mom might think that
On Thu Aug 04, 2011 02:22 PM
I can't begin to imagine how difficult it is to essentially be a second-in-command parent. Being a teacher is probably a million times easier because when they're in my care, I'm the boss and my discipline structure for my class is consistent in my class and they learn what they can and cannot get away with. In my class I am the only authority, so I can't imagine how frustrating it is to be undermined by the parent at every step of the way.

She sounds like one of those parents who doesn't get that discipline can be loving and children actually like and thrive with structure and a disciplined environment. It doesn't hurt the child to give them boundaries, it makes them feel safe because then when they push out and test you, they know what will happen when they get caught and get in trouble. The mom excusing the behavior is only setting him up for failure in the future. Such a shame. Stick to your guns, obviously the loving discipline you're giving the boy is having an effect and he'll be a better person for having had you in his life, even if he doesn't show it now.
On Fri Aug 05, 2011 01:11 PM
Thanks for that. This morning he came straight out with the "model" request I suggested to him yesterday... no demands.... "please" right in the middle of the sentence. Looks like I'm on the right track after all!

I've been putting off writing an email for over a week now. It's nothing too serious, but I'm getting panicky every time I look at it sitting there in my inbox and it's just getting to the point where I know I'm being ridiculous. Somebody PLEASE kick my butt and make me tackle it. I know I'll feel better after I've done it; it's just getting to the "after" that's the scary part.

Maybe the world isn't doomed after all. Kind of made my day, and I hope that people read it and get a smile out of it too. If I ever procreate I would like to think that my minions would be just as sweet and empathic.

Looked at dance classes in the big smoke and did the calculations and was SO close to emailing to find out if they'd hate me terribly for being mostly English-speaking and what sort of standard I'd be at if I did RAD Grade 7 but didn't really do much of the Majors syllabus (ie minimal pointework). Then I thought about how I'd have to coordinate large riding bills with large dance bills and how even if that miraculously worked out it would only leave me with 50 - 60 euros of "spare" money a month which isn't much when I'm trying to travel around while I'm here and afterwards, and I closed all windows reminding me of dancing and how I'd quite like to still be doing it.

Should probably start hatching schemes to get a well-paying job when I go back to Brisbane. Looked up riding schools there and holy crap, I am getting a REALLY good deal here. Finland's supposed to be more expensive but in this case, no flipping way. Have chosen a school (assuming I can afford it) and have also shared the link with my sister who is still jealous that I get to ride horses and she doesn't. With any luck she'll check it out for me and we can totes carpool next year, seeing as she and her boyfriend have a car now.

My host father just put AC/DC on over the lounge room/dining room/kitchen speakers. This displeases my ears, especially when I already have Blackfield already playing (admittedly on laptop speakers, but it's Steven Wilson; I CANNOT GO WRONG HERE).

I'm wearing the shirt that Wil Wheaton wore for a scene in an episode of The Guild. Speaking of which, I need to try watching the first two episodes of Season Five again, now that they've been uploaded and the internet is being kind of decent.
On Sat Aug 06, 2011 03:49 PM
Tonight I discovered Spiritual Beggars. Always good to know that you like a band AFTER you skip out on an opportunity to see them. (Although to be fair, they were playing on a different day, and I didn't like enough bands on Friday/Sunday to buy a 3-day ticket, so I probably would have still said no...)

Now my host father's home and I'm being assaulted by Finnish hip-hop and some more Acca Dacca. Good time to go to bed? I think so.

Except for the part where I'm engaged in some sort of Dr Horrible Facebook sing-a-long with some random mod from some obscure site somewhere. You know who you are. I'M FALLING ASLEEP AND YET I'M STILL POSTING.
On Sat Aug 06, 2011 04:56 PM
Here's a story of a girl
Who grew up lost and lonely
Thinking love was fairy tale
And trouble was made only for me

Even in the darkness every color can be found
And every day of rain brings
Water flowing
To things growing in the ground

Just think of how your sacrifice of sleep has helped ease the burden of that random mod from some obscure site somewhere who is having a stressful day. I know she appreciates it more than you know. <3
On Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:46 AM
Suma, you are a wonderful person. That is all.

I just made granola bars! Well, they're still in the oven, but I actually made them! It was kinda like making ANZAC bikkies but more fruity and nutty and less exploding-all-over-the-pan. Not that they're supposed to explode all over the pan, but crazy things happen with baking soda....

I'm recovering my more optimistic outlook on life, finally. The last couple of days my host mother has had off work, so my duties have been less looking after the kids and more manual labour around the place. At first I was all grumble-grumble-why-should-I-be-the-one-picking-up-the-builders'-cigarette-butts-anyway, until I realised that all of this is an incredible learning experience, and also at least I didn't to deal with Million Questions An Hour. I know, I'm a terrible person.

I made pasta bake last night with a bolognese sauce. I obviously don't eat mince but for some reason I'm still super keen to make it for other people. The kids were completely confused as to why I had made something that wasn't vegetarian and were reluctant to eat it, even when it was drowned in ketchup - it IS only the second time they've had it after all! The parents seemed to like it, and my host mother especially loved that there was enough to feed the kids the next day as well.

And the next day, I heated it up Host Brother, and didn't put any ketchup on it, and left him to eat.... and he didn't even ask for it until his mother came into the room. Win!
On Fri Aug 12, 2011 01:18 PM
This is the story of my life.

Do any Eurovision watchers remember this? My host father has it playing, and my host mother and I are headbanging and singing/humming/mouthing along to the words. The kids are around too. I LOVE FINLAND.

Been slowly de-weeding the front yard over the past couple of days. I know the proper word is "weeding", but I put the "de-" in front for emphasis - it is ALL weeds/unwanted grass, and it all needs to be removed. I was congratulating myself a couple of weeks ago for managing to somehow avoid getting stung by nettles for 23 years... Alas, that ended on Wednesday. I am now very good friends with Nettle. It's slightly painful, but not at all surprising because since when have I had coordination/been fast enough on the uptake anyway?

It's nice to be out getting my hands dirty again. It's just a pity that my back can't take too much.

Went grocery shopping this morning and was a little too enthusiastic. Went $5 over the amount of money I'd actually been given to spend, and was really lucky that I happened to have my last $5 note for the month in my wallet... that could have been really embarrassing. :?
On Sat Aug 13, 2011 05:48 AM
yesss Lordi! I thought they were pretty funny and good, they really did deserve to win! Its so difficult these days to make a good song and stand out and they stood out allright! I always watch Eurovision, sadly my country hasnt been in it for i think 6 years now or so.
On Sat Aug 13, 2011 01:56 PM
My skin-picking has gotten me into a mess again... nice big dark patch underneath one of the corners of my mouth. I don't know whether I need to be harder on myself, or to just relax and find something else to do instead. I keep being all GRRR YOU HAVE NO SELF-CONTROL WHY ARE YOU EVEN DOING THIS WHY THE HECK IS THAT HAND STILL HOVERING AROUND YOUR CHIN HUH BEC, but that half-awake state is the most evil, because I'm lying in bed and the room is (mostly) dark and sometimes I'm still not sure whether I'm awake or just dreaming, and next thing I know my face is bleeding...

Ugh, okay, TMI.

But I DO need to do something about it.

I've also developed a thing for Jenkki salmiakki-flavoured chewing gum. I don't even LIKE chewing gum... well... I guess I do now. But only the one type. And it contains xylitol, which the Finns assure me is very very good for my teeth. I hope so; my teeth need all the help they can get!
On Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:11 AM
Riding went okay. Tried cantering again... Apparently this is the only time that the horse wants to trot rather than walk. He MUCH prefers travelling in an anti-clockwise direction, and has this thing where he avoids corners when we're going clockwise. I couldn't figure out what was so scary about the corners, but today I let him go a little and found out what it's all about - the sneaky bugger is trying to change direction on me!

Going to try a different horse next week. I like this one, and he's definitely a great beginner's horse, but I did enjoy riding a new horse back when I took that group class, so when my teacher asked if I wanted to change horses next week I decided to go for it. I'm not sure whether I'll get the same horse that I rode in that lesson, or whether I'll get a new one... will be interesting to find out.

My host mother is looking up dance classes for my host sister, and has sent me a few emails with suggestions for me. It's really sweet of her to think of me, but I've already told her that I can't afford any more than the one riding lesson a week, so it's kinda like, well thanks for rubbing it in! Still, I shouldn't complain; she remembers nearly everything I tell her, as opposed to my own mother who remembers very little.

Cleanliness gripe: I had a few cartons rinsed and drying next to the sink, and she told me that they just needed to be quickly rinsed and put straight in the bin. I told her that the last time I took a bag of cartons to the recycling bins, they stank up the bag and the car, to which she said that I just shouldn't wait so long between trips. Or, you know... you could just make sure you clean them out properly? I mean, it's fair to say that I COULD take them more often, because I usually forget a couple of times before I actually do dispose of them, but she's SO obsessed with appearances that her main concern here is that the kitchen might look less than immaculate. Seriously... it's a kitchen. And it's not like there's never a mad dash to clean the house up before we have guests anyway...

/vent
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 2942, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Tue Aug 23, 2011 04:38 AM
I'm a few posts late, but just re Lordi: after Eurovision, N went off and did some research about the band, and bought a couple of their albums! He only plays them when I'm not around, though... ;)
On Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:04 PM
Haha! One of my friends at uni got into Lordi after Eurovision too. I had already come across a couple of their songs before then, somehow - I think they're great fun.

My left eye keeps twitching. The almighty Google tells me that it's probably stress, seeing as it's never been a problem before. Only problem is, I don't feel stressed. I actually feel pretty good!

I normally wouldn't think any more about this, but the other night my host mother told me that she's worried about me, mostly because I'm not going out and doing a heap of things during the day or on the weekend. I'm fairly certain I had mild depression while I was at uni so I know what it feels like... and I don't have it. Honestly, right now it doesn't make much of a difference to me whether I'm inside or outside. Sure, it'd be nice to be able to sit outside of an evening and read (currently impossible thanks to no outside furniture and a heap of construction materials lying around everywhere), and as I'm sure I've mentioned before I would love to have a second riding lesson a week, or to have one or two dance lessons a week... but I want that one riding lesson a week, I want it to be private, and I want to have money left over to spend on things like birthday presents for my family and the odd luxury here and there, so no, not going to happen. She did say that she could lend me money but that is the last thing that I want. I'm too proud, for starters... I am also an impulsive spender, and while half of that tends to be me lavishing gifts upon people, I do still need to learn how to control my spending.

The clincher is that I've been dreaming about going back to my family's home in Queensland. It's always just popping back to pick up a few things that I've forgotten. The details tend to be different but it's a recurring theme which makes me wonder what my subconscious feels I need to go back for. Keeping in mind that I still don't want to go back...

Is there something wrong that I'm missing? I mean, looking at this objectively, I can totally understand someone thinking I'm depressed. But I don't feel it. If anything I'm actually content - I'm living in a country that I love; I have a way of keeping in daily contact with people that I care about back in Australia; I'm being looked after by a family who I may disagree with on some issues, but are kind and genuine and have embraced me as one of the family.

I guess part of this is that I think they're expecting that I will want to do as much as I can here, while I'm here. I don't. I was happy to do all kinds of tours and spend my days out and about while I was in Mexico and London, because I didn't know if I would be back and wanted to make the most of the short time that I had there. But this is different. This is somewhere that I am thinking about spending an extended period of time in, when I come back. I can't objectively think about how I am going to cope here if my memories are all of playing the tourist. I'm happy just to keep a normal lifestyle and see if it's really any different to my life back in Australia (language barriers aside). And honestly... it's the little things that make me happy. Taking my host brother to preschool, going to the grocery store, taking the odd trip into the city. I don't need a lot. Eight hours at a music festival had me drained, both times. Four-hour car trips to Lapland, or three-hour train trips north/east/south weren't exactly the highlight of my day. I've already seen more major cities in Finland than in Australia.

I could go on and on, but it would sound like the lady doth protest too much. :P I guess I'm just paranoid that maybe there is something wrong and I'm in denial. :?
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6897, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Wed Aug 24, 2011 06:43 PM
I think you're viewing your current situation in a very well thought out way. No point having tourist memories.

As for the dreams, try to remember them. dreammoods might help...
On Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:50 AM
Yeah, I think I need to start writing them down again. I did it all through uni and I was remembering SO many of them, often in detail too. Now I barely remember anything, especially by the end of the day when I decide I could be bothered to write them out.

Last night my host mother mentioned that I should try making falafel sometime. Well tonight I had to make dinner anyway, so I decided to take the opportunity to make it from scratch (no convenient packet mixes in the supermarket!). And of course I needed to make a sauce to go with it, so I decided to make a proper tzatziki. I was going to go with plain old rice and maybe steamed peas and carrots because there was nothing much in the house and I didn't have enough money to do a proper grocery shop, but then a friend suggested tabbouleh. Not that I had bulgur. Or fresh parsley. Or red onion. But I did have quinoa, and cucumber, and tomato, and capsicum (did you know that they call capsicum "paprika" in Finnish? I wonder what they call paprika...) so I made a tabbouleh-inspired salad instead.

So. The tzatziki was amazing, which is definitely a good thing as I may or may not have used a litre of yoghurt and a massive cucumber and way too much dill. I will probably make some more falafel for myself tomorrow night, and organise some chicken wraps or something for the others, but if anyone else has some ideas on other things that one can use it with (excluding lamb; this Aussie was shocked to discover that it's expensive here and usually only eaten around Easter. Easter? Elfie did tell me and then I half-forgot.) then that would be AWESOME. Awesome like my tzatziki! :D

The salad was a bit of a fail. I think I overcooked the quinoa cos it kinda clumped a lot. The dressing didn't really have much of a taste even though I used a lot of apple cider vinegar and lemon in it. My host mother had never had quinoa before, though, so she didn't know any different and seemed to find it okay.

The falafel tasted great, but it fell apart really easily. I guess that just means MOAR LEMON next time? Which like I said, will probably be tomorrow. Stay tuned, folks!

Also in true Bec style I managed to cut myself with the food processor blade once. Just a small nick on my fingertip, and yes it was switched off! I guess that's what you get for sticking your hand straight into the food processor jug...

On an unrelated note, "me" means "we" in Finnish and it blows my mind every time. Thanks, English and Spanish.

Oh and yesterday I was experimented on for a study involving dancers and endurance athletes and brain stuff. I sort of half understood what was going on at the time, and then came home and forgot about it. I'll need to look it all up and then post properly, because it was pretty cool. Well, the electric shocks were uncomfortable and weird and I'm super impressed that I managed to withstand 200 of them in 10 or 15 minutes, but now that it's over I just think it was totally cool and I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing the results of the study. Which will inevitably be that dancing is awesome and people who do it have superior brains. (My old dance teacher would love it!)
On Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:03 PM
Gonna have to make the tzatziki. That sounds amazing. And I've got nearly everything at home already.
By Elfiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4186, member since Thu May 01, 2003
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 07:59 AM
Every time I hear hi, my mind translates it to shark in finnish hai, and then that's yes in japanese. That still blows my mind.
On Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:14 PM
Edited by Puss_in_Boots (29298) on 2011-08-31 12:17:40 I haven't been very good at words this week. :(
I didn't even think of that, Elfie. I also didn't know that it was shark in Finnish! I'm glad I'm learning the important things here.

Recurring dreams stopped as soon as I mentioned them here.

I've started feeling restless again. Feel like this is going to be the story of my life, because I don't see it changing any time soon.

Been thinking about how I might like to go into Central American indigenous cultural studies for postgrad. Also been thinking about how I don't think I'd want to stay in Mexico for more than a couple of weeks at a time. Guess I'm not dedicated enough then. Scrap that plan?

I can't shake the feeling that I'm not good enough at anything to make it into a career. I already know that my idea of "good enough" is probably closer to "ridiculously talented" but when I've had that distorted way of thinking my whole life I can't really be sure of what's realistic.

Also wondering why, after feeling fine last week, I've gotten myself all in a tizzy over crap like this again. Self-sabotage is a terrible, terrible habit. :?
Page:
Page 10 of 161 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

ReplySendWatch