Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

help with a new lift
By hpballerina12
On Mon Oct 11, 2010 05:49 PM

Hi everyone!

I am Clara for Nutcracker this year, and I have to do a pas de deux with my prince. I'm new to partnering, so it's been quite the challenge, but everything is going smoothly except for this one lift.

I don't know the name of it, so I'm going to try to describe it. Basically, the prince and I run from the upstage right corner, and then I turn sharply to stage left so I'm facing the corner we just ran from, and I do an assemble closing my right foot in front.By that time, the prince has reached me and his hands are on my hips and my hands are on his shoulders, and he's in a deep plie. From there, as soon as I finish the assemble, I do a saute but bring my back leg (so my left leg) into a coup de pied derriere, and the prince lifts me up and straightens his knees as I push off his shoulders.

We are having problems getting the height the director wants. I feel like I'm not able to push off of his shoulders at all, which doesn't allow for a lot of height, ends the lift early and results in a clumsy landing.

Any advice as to how to do this lift? The director really wants it in there and so I really need any advice to make this lift happen.

Thank you!

5 Replies to help with a new lift

re: help with a new lift
By tempsleve
On Mon Oct 11, 2010 05:54 PM
Well, pas de deux is all about partnering - you need to work with your partner. Let your partner know about your concerns, and perhaps you can practice together, and find out what work and what doesn't. Perhaps its the timing, as well?
By hpballerina12
On Mon Oct 11, 2010 09:50 PM
Thank you for your response.

I talked to him last time we had rehearsal and we agreed that I need to play around with where I place my weight. We both think that I could be too far back, which wouldn't allow for me to push off of his shoulders. However, practicing this lift outside of rehearsal is not going to be easy, as we don't go to the same studio and I only see him on the weekends.

I didn't even think about the timing, that's a good point. We can play around with that too. Thank you!
By BalletdogPremium member
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:17 PM
Since you're not getting enough height, maybe you could end up closer to him, so when you push down on his shoulders you can get up higher. Being closer to him will result in you being able to push more straight down, which may get you up higher. If you're too far away from him when pushing on his shoulders, you can't push as much straight down. I don't know if this is a contributing factor to your not getting enough height, but it's what comes to my mind.

Rick
By SABHope
On Sat Oct 23, 2010 06:39 PM
We struggled with that lift too! It just means that you need to get closer to your partner and throw yourself into it more!
By hpballerina12
On Sat Oct 23, 2010 08:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice! We may not be doing this lift anymore because the directors want something else, but if we end up doing it I'll definitely try what you all suggested.

ReplySendWatch