Popular Teachers

Need help finding a title for choreography by darcey
... I need a Title for a Solo - the Title needs to let the audience and judges know - what the piece...

Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
How To Dye Your Ballet Pointe Shoes Black, a Step-by-Step Guide en>fr fr>en
By Dancess Comments: 38, member since Sun Jun 15, 2008
On Thu Oct 14, 2010 02:06 PM

I know there are a bunch of links on this and other boards already on how to dye your shoes, but I thought this one was really nice with the pictures and clarity.

www.dharmatrading.com . . .

This is to dye them black, for other colours I wouldn't use marker :P

If anyone also has any other Shoe Dyeing tutorials or want to put some pics of your results, I'd love to see them!

Disclaimer: I didn't make the Tutorial, just found it at thought it was good. I'm trying them out with my dead ones when I get home. Your results (good or bad) are not due to me, its due to the tutorial.

11 Replies to How To Dye Your Ballet Pointe Shoes Black, a Step-by-Step Guide

re: How To Dye Your Ballet Pointe Shoes Black, a Step-by-Step Guide en>fr fr>en
By Mandymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2035, member since Tue May 16, 2006
On Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:44 AM
This is extremely helpful. I'll have to show my teachers..Considering once we colored our pointe shoes black, all by marker. She was thinking about bringing the dance back again..This might save some time.
By PerfectFeet Comments: 342, member since Mon Feb 11, 2008
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 03:14 PM
I did this once, and came up with the same exact method. However, I used UNdiluted Rit dye and made no attempt to rinse out the excess other than to wipe it with a wet cloth - and so that has left me with a pair of shoes that makes your fingers black when you put them on, leaves black rings on your feet, and leaves black marks on the floor.
By hummingbird Comments: 8370, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 02:30 PM
I love the way the example is a pair of brand spanking new Grishko's that you can buy already dyed.

On any other it wouldn't be ironic because you can't buy them dyed.

That's not to say this isn't a very useful link, it is but they're using the one brand of shoes that offer the service professionally as an example.
By tempsleve Comments: 505, member since Wed Jun 09, 2010
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 05:32 PM
^ I agree, it IS ironic. However, the pictures and the method was extremely helpful and had brilliant results. Thanks for posting - I'll keep this method in mind :)
By Antlersmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 109, member since Sun Jul 13, 2008
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 03:07 PM
Hey everyone, this is actually my tutorial. ;) Those are my shoes, my hands, and my mother's camera work. Mum works at Dharma Trading.

I -do- realize that Grishko sells dyed shoes, but no one sells dyed shoes in my location, and I needed these shoes fast. In addition, I bought them off a dancer who had stopped dancing. I bought two pairs for $10 a pair, brand new.

Also, both my mother and I are artists - doing stuff like this is no big deal. To wear shoes that I dyed by hand gives me a proud feeling - and I'm already very attached to all my pointes.

I had been looking for good pointe shoe dyeing tutorials before, but none of them really impressed me, so mum and I decided to create one that would be clear and easy. Plus, you can buy all the supplies right off the website.

By the way, the shoes held up beautifully, with no staining of clothes, tights, or floor. ;)
By Fayetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2836, member since Fri Jun 09, 2006
On Tue Oct 26, 2010 04:12 AM
^So is that picture at the end with the girl en pointe in front of the fountain you as well? Because that picture is freaking awesome! I love the costume, the scenery, everything. Just woha!
By kitri4life Comments: 33, member since Tue Nov 09, 2010
On Thu Nov 11, 2010 02:09 PM
I have to dye my shoes pink like really pink for a cancer awarness dance for charaity. will this work for pink too?
By Antlersmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 109, member since Sun Jul 13, 2008
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 02:46 PM
Yes, the photo of the girl in front of the fountain is indeed me. :)I do cosplay, and that photo was for a anime convention.

Yes, this tutorial should work for any color. However, what makes this tutorial work are the paints themselves. Dying can be quite a science, and it's important that you use correct dyes and fixatives. The paint used in the tutorial is called "Dye-Na-Flow" and comes in a wide variety of colors, including a few different shades of pink.

Here is where you can purchase it - www.dharmatrading.com . . .
By PowerPointe Comments: 537, member since Fri Nov 21, 2008
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 02:15 PM
This looks really good! I'm glad to hear that the shoes didn't stain anything. I've been considering dying shoes black for a solo, but I didn't want to be "that girl" who wrecks the nice gray vinyl floor with her smudgy pointe shoes... Any idea if it would work well with shoes that have had the satin cut off the tip (so the canvas is exposed on the platform)?
On Mon Jan 17, 2011 05:21 PM
I would use the Fabric marker to color the exposed canvas. :)
By pondflyPremium member Comments: 1099, member since Thu Dec 24, 2009
On Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:11 AM
I've done a couple dye jobs and I used the simplyspray.com on them and it worked great. I did a pair of GM's and after stuffing the box and masking off the areas I didn't want dyed it was done in a few minutes and then looked great.

One of Amy's formal dresses somehow got sunbleached on an area and I was able to dye the satin back to match perfectly and after washing it you couldn't tell.
Right now I'm working on a wrap skirt that we picked up from Leo's outlet for $3 and I'm dying it from pink to purple which should be done this afternoon.

She wants one done in a rainbow, so I'm going to need to get some airbrush dye so I can be more precise on my lines.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the results by using the spray.

ReplySendWatch