Forum: General / Administrative

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Administrative
GypsieFree banned permanently
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:44 AM
Locked by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-11-16 09:24:31 I think everyone's been able to have their say in this matter.

Banned for formulating numerous lies, inconsistencies and half-truths. After some digging by the moderation team we found that some of GypsieFree's statements were false, or at best, wildly contradictory. DDN is a place full of real people, and when users make up stories to gain sympathy, it harms the atmosphere of trust and friendship that has been built up over many years.

The bottom line: do not lie. You WILL be found out.

Dani

62 Replies to GypsieFree banned permanently

re: GypsieFree banned permanently
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:36 AM
*Gasp* It wasn't true??

I do not understand why people do things like that. :(

kk~
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:40 AM
If she lied about her boyfriend? What a hideous person. You do NOT tempt fate when it comes to being seriously ill. Trust me on that one.
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Mon May 19, 2008
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:41 AM
What did she say about her boyfriend?
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:48 AM
^That he was in a coma.

I felt so terrible for her! People lying about things like this make me ill...I feel like it's tempting fate, you know?
re: GypsieFree banned permanently (karma: 1)
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:49 AM
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2010-10-17 11:53:37
I had my doubts about this girl. Do you remember the post she made about being sexually harassed at a well-known chain restaurant? Well I went to bat for her and made a formal complaint to corporate headquarters about treatment of workers and linked the post. I received numerous contacts back from the HEAD of human resources for the entire chain who took the complaint very seriously. They investigated and told me that she wasn't even on shift on the days in question. There were other details that were incorrect about the story as well. I was embarrassed about the whole thing (but impressed with the company's response and commitment to fair treatment of workers).

Ever since then I have been wary of this person's posts. I didn't want to tattle on her at the time because you just never know the full story. I have to say I'm not too surprised to be hearing this now but it's pretty shocking behavior to make up such a sad story.
By pointeprincess5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 864, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:51 AM
That was a lie?! How could she make up something like that when there are people out there (and possibly here) who are going through the same thing? I felt so bad for her. Now I just feel bad for her that she felt she had to make up stories to get sympathy.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:16 PM
Oh, d4j, really? I felt so bad for her on THAT post too, because I have been in a similar situation and understood how crappy it really was. I would have loved to have someone help me out the way you did...ugh. It's always so upsetting when this stuff happens and it's a really well-known member.
re: GypsieFree banned permanently (karma: 2)
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:18 PM
d4j wrote:

I didn't want to tattle on her at the time because you just never know the full story.

Though that is very true, that's why we have a mod squad. If you ever know a post is blatantly false (especially if you have proof backing your claim), please inform the mods. It is not tattling and nor it a guarantee that anything will immediately come of speaking up - we take our time to find out the truth of a situation before going through with a major ban. It's rarely one event that transpires, it's a culmination of things. Please never feel bad for speaking up privately to the mods, that's why we're here; we try to keep DDN a safe place where people can feel free to be open and honest and we want to encourage that atmosphere.
By Lauretta Comments: 1048, member since Wed Dec 01, 2004
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:21 PM
I can't imagine what would drive someone to do such a thing and i'm so glad it has been found out now before she had the chance to receive more sympathy/attention under false pretences. Just hoping at this point that she didn't manage to gain money and/or gifts through these lies. Through my baby naming activity i've unfortunately seen several horrendous cases of lying about babies in NICU and people sending items or money to the family and then it comes out that there is no baby at all. And you know the worst part? Because of this, when someone here does genuinely have a crisis to deal with, some may inevitably find themselves doubting. I remember there was a woman who had triplets and a few people were making loud noises about her faking, well it was verified beyond any doubt that she wasn't faking and it caused a lot of upset. Hopefully the forum as a whole can strike a balance between being overly trusting and overly vigilant though.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:25 PM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-10-17 12:43:48
Sumayah wrote:

If you ever know a post is blatantly false (especially if you have proof backing your claim), please inform the mods.

I'd like to add on to this and say even if you have just kind of a weird feeling that something isn't adding up--tell the mods, because we go through the same process and everything's done privately and behind-the-scenes. If nothing's amiss, that's fine (it's happened before). If we feel the same way, at the very least we can keep an eye on it and see what happens.

We promise you won't get in trouble for speaking up--and if the member in question hasn't lied, they won't get in trouble, either.

Dani
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Mon May 19, 2008
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:28 PM
Oh my gosh, that's a terrible thing to lie about!
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:38 PM
Wow, this is crazy! I'd told my boyfriend and family about this tragic story, too!
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:45 PM
oh no, what a horrible lie!!

I'd like to know her side of the story... what possessed her to do that?
By balletgirl125member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 236, member since Sun Oct 18, 2009
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:46 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question but couldn't she just create another account?
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:52 PM
^The mods are pretty good at catching people who do that.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 01:03 PM
She can come back and view DDN anytime, if I understand how it works. She just can't be a member and post anything.

Maybe he was injured in some way and she exaggerated the situation. Still, not cool. Especially for a longtime member who has surely seen this kind of thing happen with others who were less than truthful.

kk~
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Sat Feb 05, 2005
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 01:43 PM
I have been waiting for this for a very long time. She has been lying to me for years, and I am sooo done with it.

How can someone seem so normal and yet act sooo nutty? Oy.
By seacaptain Comments: 2111, member since Mon Sep 19, 2005
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 01:48 PM
Edited by seacaptain (141392) on 2010-10-17 13:52:19
Interesting, because parts of that post didn't ring true - especially that there was NO mention of the guy's family at all which seemed a little odd - like it was just her waiting, talking to drs. etc all by herself.

I also thought today's post on picky eating was odd - like just a rant blaming her picky eating on her parents, like, seriously?!

Obviously she is troubled in some way - hope she gets help or is able to work it out herself.
By punkgirl59 Comments: 4805, member since Wed Feb 13, 2002
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 05:10 PM
Wow, I'm kind of shocked. I haven't been around here much so maybe I haven't noticed, but she didn't seem like that type to me. That's pretty terrible.

I also thought the coma post seemed fishy, just because she never seemed to...be with him, you know? If my boyfriend was in a coma, you'd better believe my butt would not leave his unconscious side. I figured she just had a different way of coping so I kept my mouth shut and sympathized.

I almost feel bad for her, because you'd kind of think she must have something amiss her life to lie like that.

~*~Punkgirl~*~

Long live punk rocK
By lux Comments: 1178, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 06:57 PM
It never ceases to impress me how well you guys catch this stuff. The whole "on the internet, no-one knows you're a dog" platitude doesn't seem true here on DDN at all! (no, i'm not calling anyone a female canine, it's from a cartoon, i promise!)

I know this seems like a nosy question, but how did you guys discover beyond a shadow of doubt that she was lying? I know a lot of people are saying they thought it seemed fishy, but how do you prove something like this?
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 07:16 PM
No, never saw this coming. I felt so awful about her boyfriend, too.
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1463, member since Sat May 31, 2008
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 07:21 PM
lux wrote:

It never ceases to impress me how well you guys catch this stuff. The whole "on the internet, no-one knows you're a dog" platitude doesn't seem true here on DDN at all! (no, i'm not calling anyone a female canine, it's from a cartoon, i promise!)

I know this seems like a nosy question, but how did you guys discover beyond a shadow of doubt that she was lying? I know a lot of people are saying they thought it seemed fishy, but how do you prove something like this?

I'm really interested in this too. I don't mean to pry, but how on earth did you guys figure it out?
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2092, member since Wed Feb 02, 2005
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 07:26 PM
No way! I told some of my friends about the story of her "boyfriend" and how tragic it was. I really don't understand people who do this, isn't it just a HUGE waste of time? Do these people really not have anything better to do?!

Props to the mods though for figuring this out!
re: GypsieFree banned permanently (karma: 2)
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:16 PM
angelfish10 wrote:

how on earth did you guys figure it out?

What would a ghost from outerspace want with yesterday's newspaper?
Image hotlink - 'http://www.top39.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/scooby_doo_characters.jpg'

...and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids.
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed