Forum: General / Administrative

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: GypsieFree banned permanently
By alwaysonmytoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2895, member since Thu Aug 17, 2006
On Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:18 PM
Holy macaroni!!! This is unbelievable. :O

I always thought she was one of the good ones. How can you make something like that up? I also felt so bad for her, but I did think it was fishy that his family didn't seem to be involved and that she wasn't with him very often (as others mentioned). Wow. I want to know why!
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1262, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 07:52 AM
I'm currently very angry at hearing this. I feel duped. I prayed for her and her boyfriend and his family through their 'crisis'; does she even HAVE a boyfriend? Even so, more than anything I feel sorry for her, that she feels she needs to make stuff like this up for attention, as if we wouldn't accept her simply for being her true self.

Thank you mods, for taking the time and attention to detail for this. More and more I appreciate the work you all do to make this site a safe and honest one for the rest of us. *HUGS* to ALL of you!!

(I also would like to hear how you figured this out, because I'm just so impressed. But I understand if you want/need to keep some details private.)
By Helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6305, member since Tue Dec 03, 2002
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 07:57 AM
We have magic powers given to us in the form of cookies when we become moderators!

Helen
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 08:10 AM
^ Helen got it in one!

Seriously, though, we'd rather not tip our hand. :)

Dani
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 08:35 AM
Yeah, I stayed away from the posts because I've known someone in a coma- especially in the first 48 hours they don't let ANYONE that's not an immediate family member see them, and the doctor certainly wouldn't notify her that he woke up. Fiance? maybe. But definitely not just a girlfriend.

Sad day. Although, if he DOES exist I'm glad her boyfriend's okay. I wonder what he would say if he found out that she had all but killed him off in DDN-land?
By GingerPremium member Comments: 1528, member since Thu Feb 14, 2008
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 08:46 AM
I am totally shocked! I also told my boyfriend about her story with her boyfriend in a coma- it's always been a big fear of mine and I was really affected by it. It sickens me to know that it was just some story she made up for giggles.

Although I looked back at some of her other old threads and the girl did have a lot of drama in her life- exboyfriends killed by drunk drivers, sexual harassments, tumour on her ovary...stuff that would really shake me up quite a bit, and it just seemed to roll off her. I don;t know exactly what bits she was making up but I am morbidly curious to know!
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 09:05 AM
This really, REALLY sucks.
By Mandymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2035, member since Tue May 16, 2006
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:12 AM
I had never seen the "coma" post, so I went back to read after I saw this, and I really am just dumbfounded. To make something up like that is not okay really. I would've never expected this from her though. Eh.
re: GypsieFree banned permanently (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:38 AM
I know I'm going to sound like Pollyanna...but is there any chance this is a mistake?

Like, maybe she was so upset she got some of the "facts" wrong?

If it is true that she "lied" I feel like a total idiot. (And notice, I'm still looking for "A Reason to Believe")

The details were so "human". Maybe she misunderstood the doctors? Is a bit dramatic? Doesn't write as well as I thought she did?

The "soccer" detail had me worrying about my own college kids. I went on a rant with them about how they should require helmets...oh...I should know better than to quote the "CB Radio" of the internet.

I think I top the "stupid schmuck" list though...I called my brother in law (professional hockey player) and asked him to get some tickets for the two of them when "Timm" is better.

nb...I also believe the check is in the mail.

This is a bit heartbreaking...

Why, Why? WHY! :C

Keep On Dancing*
By alwaysonmytoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2895, member since Thu Aug 17, 2006
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:45 AM
Another point I was thinking of...did anyone else think "Timm" with two "m"s was kind of odd? Would his name be "Timmothy"? I believe she actually called him "Timmbert" once, but I just assumed that was a silly nickname. Hmm...
re: GypsieFree banned permanently (karma: 1)
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:02 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2010-10-18 11:05:09 added quote as we all posted at the same time
topphilly wrote:

is there any chance this is a mistake?

Believe us, we didn't like finding out what we did. It was not a decision made lightly or without great consideration, and it is unfortunate. You're not the only one who feels betrayed by this situation; being false for a play of sympathy is a really sad and maddening thing. In this sort of community we get close to people who are essentially perfect strangers - we feel like we know them, but the sad truth is anyone could be sitting on the other side of the monitor. We try to protect our members the best we can by enforcing salutes and trying to stay abreast of situations, but there are people who exist online in a tangle of lies and deception and they enjoy playing with people's emotion and toying with them. I don't know if this was conscience attempt to pull the wool over our eyes, but regardless of intentions (good or bad), the end result is that other people have been hurt by Gypsie's lie and we cannot allow someone who is knowingly breaking the TOS (posting material that is knowingly false/misleading/inaccurate) to remain on the site.

:(
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
I take most DDN posts at face value. Odd name spellings, a few vague or confusing details don't usually pop out at me as being phony. Some people when they are upset don't communicate clearly, especially via the written word. It has to be pretty obvious to leap out at me. I like to think I'm a little wise and wary, but in some cases, I'm just a trusting fool, lol.

That's the part that hurts, too. This kind of thing DOES damage the trust among DDNers.

kk~
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
^ Plenty of people have oddly spelled names. I know someone named Jadeha and it's pronounced Jada. What does that have to do with anyone's story being fictional?

Props to whomever figure this one out. I never read anything she posted so I can't take the credit for this one :P
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:41 PM
^I just meant that, in light of everything, the spelling of his name seems fishy to me. Of course I'm well aware that practically any spelling of any name can exist. I never had a clue that her story was false and the odd spelling of "Tim" certainly didn't tip me off. It just struck me as kind of odd and unusual, and now I'm thinking there might be more to it. *shrug*
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Sat Feb 05, 2005
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 01:16 PM
but is there any chance this is a mistake?

NO. There is no chance. It was time for her to go. I'm just hoping she doesn't come back with some other alias, because it's very likely that she will in a few months. This girl has huge issues.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 04:17 PM
^ Game on!
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 05:52 PM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2010-10-18 18:52:35 clarification
I'm a trusting fool, and take people at face value online.

I simply don't understand why people feel the need to lie on the Internet. Especially such convoluted, dramatic, highly detailed, well thought-out ones. What does it actually achieve? When the poster is caught out (and they inevitably are), their credibility is shot, and any feelings of friendship, empathy or compassion towards that person are obliterated.

Many years ago on another forum, I knew someone who
(spoiler for triggering)
Spoiler: Show
faked their own suicide when they realised people from the board were going to be in her hometown for an event (PM me if you want more info; I'm not sharing it here)

The whole thing was so warped and twisted and so many people (including themself) got hurt as the extend of their lies became known. And for what?
(edited to add, for the record, that I'm in no way suggesting or implying the reasons behind Gypsie's banning are this dramatic or warped - I've no idea - just giving an example of how stuff like this can really damage communities, and hurt the perpetrator)

I hope Gypsie learns from this experience and doesn't try to pull similar stunts elsewhere, either online or in real life. It's just not worth it.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive..."
By amichelle523member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 608, member since Sat Sep 02, 2006
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 06:30 PM
I would just like to point out, as someone else has said, that she is clearly troubled. There are several disorders that compel people to do such things. Am I saying she is in the right because of a disorder? No, but she may not be this awful monster of a person. She gave me some really good feedback and advice.

I too am hurt by this unfortunate finding, and am very curious to the degree of her lying. I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that everything she said was a lie. Though, clearly, I do not know the whole story, and I don't think that we're going to get it (I don't mean that as a hit at the mods at all, in case it sounds that way. Just saying that maybe it's just not something they are at liberty to do).

But yeah...regardless, it sucks. I hope this situation gives her some insight about what she is doing to herself and it's impact on others.

:(
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 07:28 PM
Edited by tumblebug (25049) on 2010-10-18 19:31:18
Wow...I'm shocked. She seemed like such a nice person. I guess I'm not on here enough to notice fake people anymore.

Wow.....

Why were her last 5 threads locked, but none of the others?
By Incarnadinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9923, member since Thu Oct 25, 2001
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 07:42 PM
WOW- I'm with Tumble- I guess I'm not around enough to be prevy to all the drama. Crazy!
By lux Comments: 1178, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 08:07 PM
Edited by lux (197070) on 2010-10-18 20:31:18
topphilly wrote:

I know I'm going to sound like Pollyanna...but is there any chance this is a mistake?

Like, maybe she was so upset she got some of the "facts" wrong?

Whilst this is a very sweet & trusting sentiment, I think we can safely say that this isn't the case. I imagine that the member concerned, whilst unable to actually post on DDN, would be able to somehow get in contact with either another mod or a well-known/trusted member to argue her case if this were some giant misunderstanding.

Whilst it would be nice to believe that everyone here is telling the truth, we've seen time and time again that this isn't the case. I haven't been around long enough to see this sort of thing happen too often, but I do remember at least one similar incident occurring since I've been a member.

EDIT: So all these veiled references to past untruths that weren't able to be proven got me curious, and I was looking over a bunch of her old threads... and there's this one-off reference to her being 10 or so weeks pregnant that just NEVER got brought up again. I hate to even bring this up, in case the pregnancy was lost, which would be horrible, but it just seems... weird. And I know that so many of the lies that get spread around here involve pregancy =/
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 08:46 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2010-10-18 20:48:39 not a plural
When someone is banned, temporarily or permanently, they have the option to request an appeal to the decision. In that request they can speak their mind, defend their position, prove their innocence, or otherwise explain their side. The mods can make mistakes and if a mistake is made, we are quick to rectify the situation. And amichelle523 is correct, we are not at liberty to give any details regarding the situation beyond what we have said.

Once again just realize that with established members it isn't one infraction that leads to a permanent ban, it is usually a culmination of events over a period of time. Regarding her intentions, we have no way to know why Gypsie posted what she did - we have no way to know if she was acting maliciously or out of some benign unknown need/problem. All we know is at this point, we did establish more than just the truthiness of the situation and action was required on our end.
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:04 PM
Okay, out of curiosity, I did some investigating, and I retract what I said about the name "Timm." He appears to be real.

But...now I'm doubting that any pictures she posted were legit, like the ones of her "adult ballet class."

Ugh, wow, I'm just totally in shock. I always really liked her!!! :?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:25 AM
^ The photos of her are real. So don't get too freaked out that she was a 80 year old creepier on DDN looking at your photos.
By GingerPremium member Comments: 1528, member since Thu Feb 14, 2008
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 04:40 AM
^I looked at those photos too, and I don't know if they are fake or not, but the last one is clearly in a different studio with a different group of people. I'm not sure if it's a different day and studio or what, but it in light of recent events it seemed pretty off to me...
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed