Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

I miss skating ALOT
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 08:02 AM

I've been skating for about 10 years till I stopped about 3 years ago to concentrate on exams, then moved on to serious dancing. I really miss skating, so much has changed since I last skated competitively. My original coach left and I found another who was good, but just not the same. Prices for lessons where I live have tripled, and the number of rinks have HALVED! Now we only have one minuscule rink.
Ive also grown heavier and bigger and my skates have broken down. I don't know if it is worth buying new boots and changing blades, paying for new lessons and squeezing with other skaters and people in our tiny rink just to hope to improve and skate and compete again. Going overseas to skate is only possible during the holidays, which are pretty much never.
But I miss it so much. The speed, the music, the spins, landing jumps, pair work..
Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?
Get back to skating and spend a bomb? Or just stick to dance..

3 Replies to I miss skating ALOT

re: I miss skating ALOT
By RosePremium member
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 03:49 PM
If you don't do it, you will always wonder about it. You have to go back to a rinck, get back on the ice - I'm talking about a recreational hour-, to find out if it really is like you remember. Try to do some exercises from the past. How does that feel? Like you could back in a reasonable shape, or not?
This is the only way to find out if your dreams should/could turn real, or should stay dreams forever.
By skateballetPremium member
On Thu Oct 21, 2010 04:22 PM
I'm in the same boat actually. I only have time for my dance classes now and I haven't skated in about a year. I have skating dreams! It makes me cry because I miss it so much. I think it's worth going back-even if you only skate some public sessions. Just get out there and feel the speed, the Zamboni/Olympia smell in the rink, and the freedom. I would maybe visit the Pro shop if you can and see if they have any boots that have been marked down. Sometimes they have display models or overstock and maybe you can get a deal on some skates? Just a thought. Or, check online because a lot of boots get marked down because they are older models. Riedell I know has come out with all kinds of new models and their last years and 2008 models are cheaper. Good luck. You HAVE to go back.. it's just a matter of intensity, just don't skate in broken down boots because that will just frustrate you and you could be injured if you try to do much in them. I plan to do some publics soon and then maybe down the road do some f/s sessions. Take care!
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 21, 2010 06:00 PM
Thanks so much for your advice and encouragement.. lidwina, you're right. If I don't get back on the ice, I'll just keep wondering what if, what if for the rest of my life. And sheskatesalot, do you know where I can get my hands on the 2008 models? Our local proshop is dismal and really dodgy.. I have a friend who distributes for riedell where I live and her 2010 models are quite abit more expensive than in the USA. Perhaps I'll ask a friend in the USA to hunt around skating shops for me.. Are you from the states?

ReplySendWatch