Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Pre first class
By balletlad20
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 01:02 PM

Hi guys just wonderring what people think about weight loss and flexibility. I'm starting back classes on Monday and wonderring if any one has any advice?

3 Replies to Pre first class

re: Pre first class
By liamsayywhaat
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:15 AM
for weight loss, I try calorie restriction. it's hard, and I only eat 1520 calories a day. on average, I lose 2 pounds/week. I'm also 6'3", so if you are shorter/lighter, you'll need less calories a day. dance is a workout in itself, so if you dance regularly, you will see results.

for flexibility, there are great stretches on the stretching forum. for leg flexibility, try to work down to the splits as often as you can (preferably every day). for back flexibility, try bridges and backbends. if you have a decent backbend, try moving your feet and hands closer together while in a backbend. also practice straddles, which I consider the hardest stretch.
By balletlad20
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:31 AM
Cheers liam, yeh I'm callorie cutting I'm only 5'7 I'm trying to reduce to around 1200 obviously within reason as it can efffect your health. But cheers for the stretching tips.
By PerfectFeet
On Tue Oct 26, 2010 07:26 PM
Ballet is ALL relative. There are indeed a select few people that have a perfect body, perfect turnout, perfect feet, and otherwise flawless presentation. But there will always be somebody with more turnout, better feet, better technique, etc. The ONLY reasonable thing to do is internalize your battle. Only compete with yourself.

So, in terms like those, the only answer I can give you is to simply become as flexible and light as you can become - before and during your experience with ballet. The further you develop those and other attributes, the more personal success you'll enjoy. You already know what success looks like, and you already know that you'll have to do a lot of work to get there. Stretch A LOT. Eat right. Strength. Stamina. You'll get out of it what you put into it!

ReplySendWatch