Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

chair dancing (NOT sexy)
By dance_dreamer
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 07:58 PM

hey sorry if this is in the wrong place, i wasn't really sure where to put it.
So for our dance class in school we were broke into groups and have to come up with unique routines based on one thing, our group is doing chairs.
We have a few moves and a couple of basic tricks but it's challenging to come up with a whole 1 or 2 minute routine using a chair the whole time. We are not trying to do the whole "sexy" thingy, so if anyone could think of some moves/steps or tricks that we might be able to do involving a chair that would be really helpfull!!! thank you!

4 Replies to chair dancing (NOT sexy)

re: chair dancing (NOT sexy)
By dancinislife0607member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 08:18 PM
you could use the chair as an image. For example, there could be a character that feels bound by something he/she can't control. The other dancers are that force, and the first dancer is "bound" to the chair by the others. Or you could do something with the chair being lifted above your heads and passed from dancer to dancer...I'm not really sure what that story would be, but it would be a nice change from what people usually do with chairs. As for moves and tricks, it's really easy to make chair dancing awkward. So if you just make the whole dance feel awkward, you can sit on the chair for parts of it and use it that way. You can also use it as a sort of combination partner/barre--cartwheel over it, use it as a base, hold onto it while you do a balance of some sort, etc.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 08:27 PM
I don't know the first thing about Jazz but the title of this thread reminded me of this dance from "So You Think You Can Dance Canada"

www.youtube.com . . .

The whole thing is with chairs. I thought I would share it just in case something in it made you think of something jazzy you could do.
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 08:46 PM
There's a big part of Billy Elliot that involves a dance with a chair and it's definitely not used to be sexy.
www.youtube.com . . .
www.youtube.com . . .
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:50 AM
I choreographed a chair dance for an 8 year old that most definetly wasn't sexy. The "trick" is to think outside of the box. What sort of steps can you do sitting down? What can you do standing on the chair? You can leap off the chair, so there's something.

If you're using fold up chairs, you can also stand behind the chair, and use it, you can fold the chair and dance some of the steps holding it.

If you're brave, you can do that move where you step up on the chair and then put one foot up on the chair, and step, and push the chair down. I've never been that brave, but maybe we're different, haha...

ReplySendWatch