Forum: General / Travel - Photos

Travel - Photos
Kenya - it wasn't all bad!
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:33 AM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2010-10-20 10:55:01

Me being me, I went utterly insane and took at least 1,500 photos. Fear not; I shalln't post them all. Just my top ten photos from each national park, ten from the beach, and some randoms including the spectacular view from my hospital room.

There are many more on Facebook, so if you think you're the kind of person I'd be likely to add, PM me for my proper name and add away.

The ten attached to this post are from the first, best and most famous park - the Masai Mara. I probably don't need to caption them but I will tell the lion story.

Our first drive had a disappointing beginning as we pulled away in driving rain and freezing cold. After a few minutes the clouds began to part and we spied our first of the Big Five - some very furtive buffalo playing hidey-peep in the bushes. The general mood on the bus was buoyed - one of the big five within ten minutes? Excellent! We jokily suggested to Tom, our legendary driver, that we might like to see some lions next please.

A few minutes and some random antelope later, Tom's safari radio crackles - but it's all in Swahili, so we can't understand a word, yet we know something's coming as his right foot is edging a little closer to the metal. Then we saw the vultures, and a collection of little safari buses surrounding a small, sparse thicket of bushes. "Let's go and see what they're looking at," suggested a very coy Tom.

With our eyes yet to adjust to wildlife-spotting in the early evening murk, it took Tom's keen eye to point out the stripped-bare ribcage of a poor unfortunate in the middle-distance. Focusing on the carcass, we were oblivious to the perpetrators...until a still-spotty lion cub emerged from a bush and went to nuzzle against dad, a magnificant black-maned male right under our noses.

Obviously well fed and no longer requiring shelter from the rain, the entire pride began to emerge from under their leafy umbrellas. Scratching, licking, crapping and rolling, they began to cross directly in front of our bus to the grassy knoll on the other side.

Ever ready to secure us a better view, Tom about-turned and placed us in what was to become the best, most ridiculous vantage point.

One of the adult males (for some reason, there were two) began to appear restless. We safari virgins thought he might be a little annoyed at the open-roofed Toyotas littering the area, but Tom knew it must be something else. Ears pricked up, the lions began to roar. It was heart in mouth time as the sound of two adult and one adolescent male (with the wispy beginnings of a fabulous mane) reverberated through our chests, eyes fixed on the hill behind us.

I will never know how he saw this with a naked eye, but on the hill and less than 800 metres away were three more lions - two females and a male, all young, free agents. We were in the middle of a territorial dispute!

Somewhat sadly, the younger lions took the warning and advanced no further - so I didn't get to film the ruck that I hoped might match "Battle at Kruger" for YouTube hits. Still, we did get them roaring on film, even if Tim didn't realise he was filming and actually got more footage of the sky than the lions!

The next day we saw all of the Big Five and cheetahs beside. Tom called us the luckiest group he'd had all year :D

19 Replies to Kenya - it wasn't all bad!

re: Kenya - it wasn't all bad!
By Euphoriamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1909, member since Mon Dec 05, 2005
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:54 AM
I am just ridiculously jealous!

Those photographs are fantastic! Is the second one of the lion, um, defecating? Nice.

Well, it looks like you had a fantastic safari.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:06 AM
Yep...King of the Jungle, doing a poo. :D

Comment #9292784 deleted
Removed by Louise (29559) on 2010-10-20 11:27:11 Having a mare

Comment #9292791 deleted
Removed by Louise (29559) on 2010-10-20 11:27:28 Having a mare

On Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:34 AM
These are from two of the Great Rift Valley's Great Lakes - Nakuru and Naivasha. It won't let me do ten at a time so I'm having to split them up unfortunately.

Please note that the buffalo are both male.
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:51 AM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2010-10-20 11:53:20
More from Lake Naivasha, including some from our walking safari.

1 and 2 are of an African Fish Eagle - our boat driver threw some fish into the lake to attract them down. The last one is a Superb Starling - they really are!
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:01 PM
These are from Amboseli National Park.
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:14 PM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2010-10-20 12:29:29
And now for some randoms...

That's Kilimanjaro in the second one, and a Marabou Stork in the last one which I love because it doesn't look as if that branch could support that giant bird!
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:20 PM
I love the dancers! That must have been so cool!

kk~
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:25 PM
So jealous! I didn't get a cheetah when I was in Africa!

I think my favourite is the lion on his back. He looks so sheepish.
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:35 PM
Three more because I fell in love with these zebras. They did everything in a line!
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 01:33 PM
LOL! I'll try again with the beach pictures, lest I break the entire website.
By Helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6305, member since Tue Dec 03, 2002
On Thu Oct 21, 2010 03:54 AM
You dund broke the interwebs!

Those photos are all fantastic, I am very jealous. This is something Gordon would love to do, I'll need to show him the pictures.

Helen
By ShandaLeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2645, member since Sat Nov 30, 2002
On Fri Oct 22, 2010 02:05 PM
Those are great pics! I love the zebras in a line!
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Fri Oct 22, 2010 03:18 PM
OMG, SO AWESOME! Seriously, looks like the holiday of a lifetime! How hot was it? I think my boyfriend would love to do something like this, but he doesn't do so well in the heat.
By punkgirl59 Comments: 4805, member since Wed Feb 13, 2002
On Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:54 PM
I am sooo insanely jealous! Kenya is at the very tip top of my travel list (that I will probably never get to, sadly). In fact, when I was planning my wedding, we were planning a safari instead of something beachy and tropical for the honeymoon. That was the biggest disappointment of the wedding falling through, ha.

Fantastic pictures, and I'm so glad you're feeling better!

~*~Punkgirl~*~

Long live punk rocK
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6898, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Sun Oct 31, 2010 01:50 PM
I just love the two of your "pick of" pictures were bum chums and a zebra with his tail lifted... Delightful!!!
By irishdaydreamermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1538, member since Tue Jul 10, 2007
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 03:01 PM
Is it terrible that this song was playing in my head the entire time I was looking at these pictures?

www.youtube.com . . .
By TinyDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 772, member since Fri Aug 19, 2005
On Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:47 PM
I know I'm a bit late to comment on these but I just wanted to say that I am soooo jealous! I have some amazing stories accumulated through my many safaris but yours is by far the best one I have heard. These pictures and the fact that my sister is in South Africa at the moment is making want to go back so badly. Biggest disappoint of the relationship break up - we were planning an epic 3 month trek around Africa!

Amazing photos and so so lucky that you got to see so much game!

ReplySendWatch