Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Just failed my road test :(
By xoDancingQueenxo
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:45 PM

I got an automatic fail for not yielding the right of way. I was stopped at a stop sign and did not see another car in the turning lane and I went anyway. Luckily, the guy stopped before I hit him. I'm super embarssed and upset because everyone was expecting me to pass. What sucked even more is that I had my automatic fail at the very beginning of it, but the officer still got me to go through the entire test. I knew the night before the test that I was going to fail, but my driving instructor reassured me that he hadn't had a student fail in months. What makes me feel even worse is that my driving school says it has a 98% pass rate on the first try. I have to wait a week before booking another road test. I'm seriously trying to hold back tears, does anyone have any advice?

17 Replies to Just failed my road test :(

re: Just failed my road test :(
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 01:26 PM
Besides realizing that you're TOTALLY not alone? No.

My friend in high schools aunt took the test so many times that she had to start filing for permission from the state to take it again. One of the times that she took the test, she actually TOTALLED the car she was driving.

One of the times I took the test, I failed for supposedly running a red light. To this very day (13 years later) if you took me back to that corner and asked me to show you the red light I ran, I couldn't do it.

My brother failed his drivers test on the first try too. He was so embarassed, he told everyone he hit a pedestrian. That story lasted for YEARS.
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 02:56 PM
I failed my first try too. Parallel parking killed meee. And I could always do it fine when I was with my instructor. Nerves tend to get the best of us when we let them.
I thought I was going to pass, too, so did everyone else. But nope.
I was so upset. Cried the whole way home, cried at home and felt miserable and embarassed beyond belief.

My advice would be to practice as much as you can until you take it again. Get your confidence back up!
Secondly, it's ok to cry. You're disapointed and shedding a few tears is perfectly acceptable.
re: Just failed my road test :( (karma: 1)
By HollieErin
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 03:34 PM
I failed the first time for not making a turn fast enough WTF!
My boyfriend failed FOUR times!
My best friend from high school failed seven times.
My mom failed the first time.
My dad failed the first time for HITTING the instructor.
My mom actually knows someone who failed for hitting a pedestrian.

A LOT of people fail the first time. I cried like crazy too I was so dissapointed in myself, but really it isn't the end of the world. Pick yourself up and get some practice in before you go next week. I'm sure that you will get it the second time around.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 03:45 PM
I failed two times.

The first time I went through a yellow light. As soon as it turned yellow the person I was doing the test with slammed her foot down as if she were the one driving. I panicked and hit gas instead of break. I hate when people do that while I am driving. Second time I MISSED the exit of the parking lot at the start of my test. Seriously, 15 seconds in I failed. Third time though I did a near clean test.

You are not the only one who has failed so try not to beat yourself up over it! I know how difficult it is though

(((hugs)))
By xoDancingQueenxo
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 04:15 PM
Thank you everyone so much, I really do feel a lot better. It's really nice to know that I'm not the only one who didn't get it the first time. The nerves were defintely getting to me today. I think I'm going to wait a few days before reschduling another test so I can build my confidence back up. You guys are awesome :)
By amichelle523member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 04:58 PM
My dad failed the first time for HITTING the instructor.

This made me laugh so hard. How is this even possible? Wasn't he/she IN the car? Baha. Dang.

Anyway, sounds like you're doing better, and I'm glad for that. As you can see, lots of us didn't make it on the first try, so no worries! You'll be just fine :)
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 05:12 PM
My cousins both failed nine times each.
I haven't taken my road test yet (I am TERRIFIED to), but I'm sure I'll fail at least once or twice.

My Papa told me that one of his coworker's sons was taking his test, and about halfway through the tester told him he wasn't going to pass anyway, so he might as well head back to ICBC- well, the kid taking the test pulled his car over, looked at the tester and said "get out". He left the poor tester to walk a block back to ICBC! I'm so curious as to how that turned out when he went back to take his test again.

Anyway, the majority of people here fail at least once.. don't feel too bad.
By xoDancingQueenxo
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 06:10 PM
^ Wow nine times?! Well I hope I don't have to take the test that many times. And hitting the instructor would be so embarssaing! I defintely deserved to fail today, I got too nervous and wasn't paying attention. So I'm for sure going back to that same spot and doing it a bunch of times.
By ChristinePremium member
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 07:02 PM
My sister failed so many times my mother had to hire a therapist to take her to the test after a while. The fourth time she failed, my mom and "Sandy" (why don't therapists have last names?)were waiting for her to return to the examination area when the examiner pulled up, driving my mother's car. My sister was in the back seat sobbing.

The examiner just shook his head, my mother got into the drivers seat, and Sandy got in the back with my sister. Not a word was spoken for the seven mile drive home. When my mother pulled into the driveway, she went inside and Sandy sat with my sister till nightfall. It wasn't the last time she failed the road test. After a while, it just wasn't discussed.

She finally got her license when she was away at college. And guess what? Her driver's license looks just like mine and I passed the first time. So what? Her new cars don't cost any more than mine, her insurance is the same. She rents cars when ever she is out of town and no one has ever asked her how many times she failed her road test.

Hugs...

It will be just fine. Just keep trying till you pass.

Keep On Dancing*
By Catherinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 08:20 PM
Be proud that you had the guts to take the test. My mother got her 90 day (temp licence) many times in her teens and then did not go for her licence until she was 30! She even took Drivers Training again and extra in car lessons and the instructor kept telling her to just take the test.

Next week call the centre and book another test and in the meantime, get someone to run through the test route that you did as an extra practice.

Catherine
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 20, 2010 09:37 PM
The last time I took the test was the last time I had to take it before I had to start filing for permission myself. (Missouri has or had at the time, a law that over a certain number of tries on taking the drivers test, you had to file for permission to take it again. 5 or 6. Although to make myself sound better, most of my tries were used up getting through the written test. I'm a horrifically bad test taker!)

I was in my moms extended cab pickup truck. I failed parallel parking. Did it exactly right, but too far away from the curb. The guy told me that he reasonably ought to fail me for the parallel parking, which was enough points off to cause me to fail the test, but he took pity on me for being in such a big vehicle, and he wasn't going to fail me. Nice guy, right?

I didn't get my license until I was 18. Driving kind of freaked me out, and there was always somebody to take me anywhere I needed to go anyway, so who cared? Then it dawned on me that I wasn't going to be able to drive myself to my own high school graduation, and I got my butt in gear. I actually ended up getting my license one week before I graduated from high school. As it happened, I didn't actually end up driving myself to my graduation. lol...
By rosalinde
On Fri Oct 22, 2010 01:33 PM
I failed my test twice. The first time was a total waste of time, if they'd let me pass then I would've been a complete hazard, I was soooo not ready to be let out on the road all by my lonesome.
The second time I was sort of ready, but the examiner annoyed me so much that about half-way through I was ready to pull over and get out of the car. Oh, and then I tried to run over a group of kids (not on purpose, but an instant fail nonetheless).
The third time I did pass, even though I failed to spot a car as I turned a corner. But as my examiner said, "He saw you so there was no real problem. Besides, for the rest of your driving career you'll be finding yourself in situations where you thought, 'I wondered where THAT car came from?'" which was a very sensible opinion because I've now had my licence for 13 years and that still happens.

You'll get your licence, just don't give up. Actually passing my test was one of the best feelings of my life, it made me feel really grown-up. And it opened many doors job-wise because so many employers want employees to have a driver's licence.
By forgetxmexnot
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 03:53 PM
Yeah don't worry about it. I failed my test once and I failed it at the very beginning. We have to do three separate parking maneuvers at the very beginning and have to pass those before we can even go on the road. You're allowed to have 6 points altogether before you fail and I did so badly that the guy just told me he totally stopped counting all the points I was racking up half way through. The parallel parking is what really killed me though, at least I hadn't knocked over cones until I did the parallel parking.

I have my license now and barely even remember that I failed my first time. Practice a lot, especially yielding, and take it again. No big deal. I think part of the reason why you're so upset is because it's been made out to you like people don't normally fail and believe me, they do.
By rosalinde
On Thu Oct 28, 2010 09:55 AM
For everyone who passed first time (and I'm talking about proper driving tests, not the ones your granny had to take), there are at least twenty people who didn't I'll bet.

Yes, it's awesome if you pass the first time. And it's totally acceptable if you need a second or third go.

www.dailymail.co.uk . . . Now SHE needs to get worried ...
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 05:47 AM
Here in Australia, it's actual rare for people to pass the first time. Good revenue raising I think. But yeah, most people I know have failed the first time.
By SPCPADANCER
On Mon Dec 20, 2010 08:53 PM
I am sorry to hear that. I hope i pass mine when it come time to. Can you give me some tips.
By CatScratchDancer
On Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:21 PM
My instructor had me pull over for a few minutes during mine because we were both laughing uncontrollably. We were driving through this one area of town where there was a pond with ducks and I mentioned something about the book Make Way for Ducklings and the instructor said something about the ducks dealing with traffic and the only response I could come up with was duck soup. Still have no idea why it was so funny, but it took a few minutes for me to stop laughing and be able to drive.

One of my friends was directed to a dry cleaner's so that the instructor could pick up his stuff.

ReplySendWatch