Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Why did you go on the Birth Control pill and how long have you been on it?
By Anonymousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 02:37 PM
Locked by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-10-25 14:43:22 not a secret
Moved to Girls Only PG-13 by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-10-25 14:45:58 on second thought--moved to correct forum
Unlocked by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-10-25 14:46:06 unlocked

I'm 22 and not sexually active. I'm hoping to be sometime sooner rather than later and I like the idea of being on the pill "just in case" as I do think my fear of getting pregnant is contributing to my ability of not getting physically close with guys, but I don't like the idea of pumping chemicals into by body "just in case"

I've also had some problems with ovary cysts so I do have some medical justification to be on the pill.

I'm trying to decide if my reasoning to go on the pill is sufficient or not. I really don't like the idea of starting BC when I don't actually need it yet, knowing that when I do become sexually active it'll be my method of choice, but that I could end up being on it for many years as my child bearing years are far away. I will consult my dr. but with them it's more of a "you say the word and you'll get it"

I was just wondering:

Why did you start taking birth control pills? Was it for medical purposes (skin, period, cysts etc..) or for it's intended birth control purposes?

How long have you been on them/how long were you on them?

Thanks!

28 Replies to Why did you go on the Birth Control pill and how long have you been on it?

re: Why did you go on the Birth Control pill and how long have you been on it?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 02:43 PM
I went on the pill for heavy periods. I ended up becoming sexually active not long after, so the actual controlling birth aspect ended up being nice, but that wasn't the reason I went on it at all.

I ended up going on and off of the pill (as my needs and/or patience with my ridiculous periods dictated) for about eight years. Then I had my son, and got an IUD. Which, if you can talk your doctor into it, I TOTALLY recommend. They're a lower, more localized dose of hormones, and I don't have to worry about pills, or what time I took my pills, or any of that business. I'm just protected, all the time. It's AWESOME.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
I was 16 and was intending to use it for birth control purposes, although as it turned out I didn't have sex for about six months after I went on it. Nearly 25 now, so nearly 9 years. Been on the same one, Microgynon 30, the whole time.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
I've been on birth control since I am 17 and I am now 22...so roughly 5 years. I made the decision to get on birth control mainly because my period was out of control and giving me so many problems. It wouldn't get on a regular schedule, I was in intense pain, had awful migraines, etc. While it hasn't solved all my problems, it has definitely helped them out a bit.

And the whole no babies part is definitely a great thing. I don't know how other girls enjoy getting freaky without being on the pill...it's a heavenly invention in my world.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 03:04 PM
I'm currently 21 and started on the pill about 2 and a half years ago. I was not sexually active at the time (although am now) and actually was encouraged to "do something" by my mom. I think she had really awful periods when she was growing up and went on some hormone-esque thing (although not BC...something else...i have no idea) and I was having really long, heavy periods (ie. I'm a cheerleader who was wearing a white uniform at the time and would easily go through two tampons a game....um yeah...no bueno). So that is why I went on it. Plus I wasn't really all "save sex for marriage!" or super stadfast about waiting for anything in particular, so in the back of mind I knew it would be nice to not worry.

Also, my doctor is also "if you want it..we'll give it to you!" however, that DEFINITELY doesn't mean you can't talk about your concerns with them. Also if you voice your concerns over the whole hormones and chemicals thing, he will probably be able to better find an option that better suits your need.
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 03:09 PM
I first went on it because I was going to be married 4 months down the road (would not be, and was never sexually active before then), so it was partly for the birth control thing, I wanted the pill to be fully working by the time I got married, and I wanted to have enough time (the 2-3 months) to work out what pill would be best.
I also was trying it for moderate adult acne, because everything I had tried up until then had not worked at all.

I was on the pill a total of 1 year 5 months. I stopped it because
1. didn't do anything for my acne
2. Moods were alright, but I didn't *quite* feel like myself
3. was having increased heart palpitations (was better after I dropped the Yaz)
4. Unwanted permanent bloat, and stretch marks.

(as far as the stretch marks go, I know they were related to the pill, because I am still the same weight, a couple pounds heavier now from when I stopped, and the stretch marks are gone. THey appeared, and were bright red/purple only during the time I was taking the Pill)
By moomintrudemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 03:10 PM
I went on it when I was 14 for extremely heavy periods and bad skin. I think the one at the time was Dianette. It turned out I became sexually active at about 15 so not that long. But that wasn't a reason for going on. I was single when I went on it.

I changed to Microgynon about three years ago and have been on that ever since. so over all 12 years.

My doctor talked to me about other methods, but this works for me as I'm in such a routine of taking it now

MOOM
By Holo
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 03:11 PM
I was on Diane-35 from gr.10 to 2nd yr university (5yrs) for skin, because I had awful acne.

I switched after 2nd year to Tricyclen, and I've taken tricyclen since, for the same reason (2 yrs)

My reason for switching was that I felt like I gained a bit of excess weight with Diane-35, and my sister told me that I should just go on the same BC as her, and shes a doctor, so of course that sold me haha!

But yes, I use it for my skin - still do. I recently became sexually active and so I guess that will also be an added benefit.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 03:37 PM
I started the Pill when I was 16 for birth control, and tried a couple different forms of it until I switched to NuvaRing a year or so ago. My mom was concerned, like you are, with the whole being-on-it-forever thing, but honestly, I don't see why it would be so difficult for me to go off it, you know? I don't really get that perspective. Eventually she got over it, though. ::shrug::
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 04:15 PM
I started using BC years ago because of ovarian cysts...luckily the BC got that under control and I didn't have to do anything more drastic. I also have the lovely genetic predisposition for screwy hormones and PMDD, so the BC helps me stay evened out and from attacking people. ;)

Luckily I found a doctor that would give me the pill that works for me (generic of Seasonale) and give me enough refills to just take all of the packs back to back. It's just too much for my body to handle having a period, so I don't bother with it.
By Balleticmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 04:37 PM
I first tried the going on BC pills when I was in grade 12, so about 17. I went on them because I would get horrendous cramping that 8 hours leading up to the beginning of my period, and almost every month would get so nauseous when it actually started I would vomit.

In grade 12 I was going on a trip with my school's travel club, and as my period was fairly regular, I figured out it would be starting the day we were due to fly about over seas from Canada to Tunisia (Africa). Needless to say, I didn't want to be stuck on the plane in pane and puking everywhere for hours on end.

At that time my doctor gave my 4 packs of sample pills (I can't even remember what they were). I used those four up and just realized that the pills weren't for me. They worked well for my trip, but I didn't feel as if they would work for me in the long run.

Fast forward to my first year of University (18 years old)and the cramps and vomiting had increased, so had my responsibilities for going to class. It was a lot harder just to go home and sleep of the pain when I had classes. So I went back to my doctor halfway through that year and she prescribed the Evra patch. It works extremely well for me and I have been on it for about 1.5 years.
I still get occasional mild cramps, but I haven't gotten sick during my period once while I was on it.

By the way, I am still a virgin and plan on staying that way for awhile, so that did not factor into going on Birth Control at all for me.
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 05:31 PM
I went on the pill at 15 because I didn't have my period for 8 months and hated being paranoid of getting it when I'm not at home. Plus, my mom and I suspected I had PCOS since she does which it turns out that I do...

Then it also did turn into a form of birth control as well. Though I do plan to go off of the pill in a year. Right now it's mainly for my period, but I don't want to mess with hormones forever so I plan on trying to regulate my period in other ways.

Also, my grandma had breast cancer years ago, and my aunt (her daughter) was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year so I also don't want to have this extra risk of breast cancer myself. My cousin was already taken off the pill by her doctor because of this.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 07:30 PM
I will consult my dr. but with them it's more of a "you say the word and you'll get it"

My doctor that agreed to my IUD has since left the practice, but with him, birth control was NEVER a matter of "Well you asked, so here you go!" Getting on any birth control with him was practically signing over your first born, heh...
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 07:50 PM
I went on the pill at 15 to regulate my periods - or rather, to stop having my periods, because I HATE having my period. The whole birth control thing was rather secondary. I did start having sex right after I went on the pill, but the two reasons really went hand-in-hand... and still do.

I switched pills a few times, was on Nuvaring for a year or two, then switched back to Desogen.
By JavaChip
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 07:54 PM
I first went on the pill my sophomore year of high school, so I was probably around 16 at the time. I originally started taking the pill because of my unmanageable cramps that I had the first few days of my period. I would be throwing up every month at the start of my period, and basically had to go home to often yell into a pillow because the cramps were just crippling. I also went on BC to try and regulate my cycle more, since it was often unpredictable and would last nay variety of days from 4-9 full days.

I am 20 now, almost 21, so it's been about 4 years that I have been taking BC. Now I continue taking it for birth control purposes, but also for the reasons mentioned above. Been on the same brand, Zenchent (I think it's called?) for the entire time.
By CaffeinePremium member
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 07:57 PM
I went on the Pill at 17, to control insanely long, heavy periods, and because I was always anaemic. The one at the time was Triquilar, and had no problems with it.

I went off it briefly when I was 25, because I didn't really like putting all the different hormones into my system.

Went back on it again when I was 26, for birth control reasons. Unfortunately Triquilar was no good for me anymore, and I've had a fun time over the past seven years trying to find one that fits my body now. I've tried different strengths, different sorts, and nothing seems to work - for the period control, anyway - like it used to (and side effects of some are scary). We also use condoms, so I don't know how well it works for BC.

Total time on the pill: fifteen years.
By HollieErin
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 08:08 PM
I went on the pill because when I got my period it was like a had a bad massive stomach flu. I would vomit, have cramps, and have massive diharreah. I miss 22 days of school in one semester because of it. I ended up going on the pill to quell the symptoms and it helped. I went on the pill when I was about 17... I think, and I am still on it at 24, 7 years and counting....
By rincedragonflymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:37 PM
Oh crap, I'm so glad I ran across this thread...

*runs off to take BC pills an hour and a half late*

I just started the pill 2 months ago. I started it for the birth control reason, because I was moving in with my boyfriend. I wish I had started it when I was a teenager, because GOSH has it been a lifesaver with my stupid period. No more laying in bed all day, no more extreme nausea, none of that. Just a little bit of pain, but nothing a few advil can't handle.

Oh, and I take Yaz.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 26, 2010 01:19 AM
I first went on the pill at 14 due to extremely painful periods. I went off it at 16 when I got my period for a month straight. I went back on it when I was 18, because after 3 months of being sexually active it was time to stop saying "We made a mistake, but now we're waiting until marriage again" and start facing facts. Now we're actually waiting until marriage again (and have been for a while), but I still haven't stopped taking the pill just because I never got around to it, and now I'm getting married in less then two months and will need it again.

Comment #9301052 deleted
Removed by lidwina (172256) on 2010-10-26 02:59:46 Double post

By KaptainKlancymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:34 PM
Went on because of my heinously irregular periods (cycles of 21-42 days--what the smudge?!?), which has cut my six day, heavy, irregular periods down to five day, heavy, regular-ish periods. All fine and dandy.

Though I could have done without the boob boost, thanks.

Been on since 15.5/16 range, I don't quite remember. Still a virgin, though not purposefully so. Hopefully some day they'll help to actually do their intended purpose of controlling my birth rate. =)
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:23 AM
I went on them briefly at 16 to clear up a few pimples. I went on again at age 18 (almost 19) for birth control and was back off within a year. My body just can't handle the hormones. I got the copper IUD at age 20, and I'm now 21. Best decision EVER! No hormones, unaffected periods and I'm effectively sterile until age 30 if I want.
By forgetxmexnot
On Wed Oct 27, 2010 01:16 AM
I went on birth control pills when I was 14 to regulate my periods. I got my first period when I was 10 and they had never been regular in that 4 years and it really started driving me insane and bothering me. I've been on them ever since, now for it's actual intended purpose as well. I love it though, the only "bad" reaction I had to it was that my periods were kind of rough (really strong cramps) for the first few months I was on it, but that's definitely settled down. I know pretty much down to the hour when I'm getting my period, when it's going to end, and the extra protection of no babies is great.
By Mendelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 28, 2010 04:34 PM
I was on the pill for a few months about 10 years ago, when I was 21-22. I was on it to regulate my cycles and help with symptoms, but not for contraception. I had a horrible time with it and quit.

Fast forward to about a year ago when I met my current boyfriend who's a physician. When he discovered that I pretty much became non-functional every time I got my period (debilitating cramps, backache, migraines, diarrhea), he insisted that I try the pill again. I was very hesitant to after my previous experience, but he convinced me.

My regular doctor started me off on the lowest possible dose with a pill called Aviane (20 mcg of "estrogen" + 100 mcg of "progesterone"). I experienced incredible fatigue, but few other side effects, which was similar to the first time. I'd feel like I needed a rest after walking just one block. After 2 cycles of the full dose and no sign of side effects improving, my boyfriend suggested I take a half dose by cutting the pill in half. My doctor had never heard of this being done, nor had the gynecologist. Neither could see anything really wrong with the scheme, so they let me try it. Apparently the half-dose was too low, because I started spotting half-way into the cycle.

Then my boyfriend suggested trying 75% of the lowest available dose-- I got a prescription for Reclipsen (30 mcg "estrogen" + 150 mcg "progesterone") and have been taking half of that, again with my doctor's permission. This has been the best option for me so far. Still feel a bit more fatigued than usual, but not too bad. The positive effects have been pretty good-- I can barely feel it when I have my periods. I do sometimes start spotting on the last day of the cycle, so I probably couldn't delay my period by combining packs. I also don't use it for contraceptive purposes, since the efficacy of such a low dose has not been verified.

Try to find a doctor who will work with you in adjusting the dose. Some will be more open to going "off the beaten path" than others.
By Tittlemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 28, 2010 09:46 PM
You sound a lot like me. I went on it at 21 soon after I got in my first serious relationship "just in case." I also went on to help clear up my skin. A couple of months after the relationship ended I went off of it though. I too don't like the idea of pumping hormones into my body "just in case." I'm 22 now. My skin did act up again, but it's gotten much better since my last dermatologist appointment. I'm sure I will go back on it at some point, but I just don't see the point of spending the money and putting the hormones in my body unless I'm having sex...which I'm not. Also I gained a tiny bit of weight and felt bloated, and I'm finally starting to lose the weight I gained in college...so I'd rather not go back on the pill for that reason as well.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch