Forum: Irish / Irish - Achievements

I patched my shoes! :D
By jlhaygoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 27, 2010 09:42 AM

I decided to save myself seventy bucks & patch up the trouble spots in my ghillies: big toe, little toe, side of the ball (bad turn-out :/ ), & along the seam of the sole where it tends to pull up. It got better & better as I went, so here are my results! :D

6 patches, by hand, in 6 hours...with embroidery needle and thread, since (AGAIN) I didn't get to Hancock's the night beore last...

1 - This is the first patch I ever tried...I was really proud of it until I did some more & realized how crappy it is, lol, but it's held up to dancing for about 3 weeks now with no sign of wear!

2 - A sole-patch I did for a friend. The stitching is still janky, but at least it's smaller? Side note: Fay's Celtic Choice soles are thinner than Rutherford Cavans...for what it's worth. I've danced in both with great success (switched to Rutherford's to get away from arch seaming) & couldn't tell the diff, but the CC's are easier to patch.

3 - Rutherford Cavans, take 1: sole & pinky-toe patches. If I had remembered not to lace them first, I'd have shown you the inside patch on the pinky toe. I did the inner patches rectangular, but only b/c I'm lazy.

It's right about here that I realized a GLUE STICK will serve you really well in your patching endeavors...for obvious reasons. Also, you might see the the old black stitch lines on my patch. I took apart an old, worn-out Gazelle (of like 6 pairs I have lying around) & used the loop-area. This cut down on the waste, since it's already about the right size.

See? I'm getting better...

4 - Top view of Cavans left foot: 2 sole, 2 upper-patches. My turn-put isn't so grand on the left, so there's not really any pinky-toe wear to speak of, but I did a couple of preventative patches on the ball & big toes areas. As for sole-patching, just make sure you get under the poron padding inside & you can pretty much follow the stitch lines.

These patches are where I started to cut the leather (or choose a good piece) to fit snugly around the sole's edge. I haven't dance on them yet, but I imagine it'll help them hold up a tiny bit better.

5 - Not perfect, but getting better all the time! :)

6 - I'd advise you either keep a thimble around or do this at a table top where you can push the needlethrough multiple layers of leather when need be. A bottle cap is not sturdy enough...it will ruin your water bottle. Dammit.

7 - The toe box of the left Cavan, about 1/3 of the way through stitching the inside patch on. It shouldn't really matter if you end up with some small knots on the outside (embroidery thread = breaks = frustration), since it's going to be covered. The inner patch is really just for stability.

Before we move on...TOE BOXES ARE SOOOOO MUCH HARDER TO PATCH THAN THE REST OF THE SHOE. The leather here is molded so that it's impossible to lie flat-ish & the leather is MINIMUM 2-thick already, which means you end up with at least 4 layers when doing your outer patch. It took me soooo much longer than the other patches!...AGAIN!

8 - The finished product. Again, not perfect, but WAY better than the first time!

9 - A closer view. Yeah, there are some knots, but it all kind of wears together in the dancing. I'm not too worried.

OKAY, I'm done bragging now...no, I'm not. SEVENTY BUCKS, I SAVED, AND NOT A PENNY SPENT! :D

5 Replies to I patched my shoes! :D

re: I patched my shoes! :D
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 27, 2010 09:48 AM
Cool job - I'm way too lazy to patch but when my ghillies get into such a state I just end up black nastying them - aka literally wrapping black duck/duct tape round them inside and out until there is no chance of them a. ever falling apart unless the tape falls off and b. my feet ever coming out of them unsticky!

Once I suffer black nasty for a month or so and that starts degrading I typically get another pair of shoes.
By ScullyPAmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 27, 2010 09:48 AM
WOW! I never would have thought to attempt something like this. Pretty ambitious.
On Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:01 AM
clairey: yeah, a lot of the girls I dance with do that, but I'm hoping these will last me until at least March...it's been so long since I had ghillies last a full year!
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 27, 2010 03:32 PM
Wow, you really did save your self some money, and will get a lot more use out of them.

I just hope they are not your "feis shoes" ;) (though I don't the judge would notice your repairs anyway!)
On Thu Oct 28, 2010 09:36 AM
They are...I'm not too worried about the judges seeing a little patch. If they're paying more attention to my shoes than my dancing then I have bigger problems to worry about lol...Besides, this way I can afford more feiseanna!

ReplySendWatch