Forum: Advice / Secrets PG-13

Secrets PG-13
"OH NOES!! COULD I BE PREGNANT IF?!" A definitive guide to the chances of pregnancy. (karma: 8)
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15031, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:32 PM
Moved to Secrets PG-13 by Sumayah (204191) on 2010-11-06 17:44:11 Girls PG-13 already has already has a similar sticky and Secrets could definitely use one.
Made sticky by Sumayah (204191) on 2010-11-06 17:45:19 Because statistics and facts are nice to have in easy access.

I am going to discuss the actual numbers involved here. Let’s cover the basics first.

What sex acts can lead to pregnancy?
In order for there to be any chance of pregnancy, live sperm has to be inside the vagina.
Thus, you cannot get pregnant from:
-giving a hand job
-being fingered
-oral sex
-anal sex
-dry humping (in clothes or underwear)

Only vaginal intercourse can lead to pregnancy.

Pre-ejaculate from a penis may contain sperm. Medical research has not reached a conclusion on whether or not this is the case, or whether or not the amount of sperm present is enough to have a significant chance of leading to a pregnancy.

If there has been a penis in your vagina, there is a chance you may be pregnant.

Let us now look at what this chance is.

When having unprotected sex at any point in one’s cycle, what is the chance of pregnancy?

Answer: 25%.

Women under the age of 25 have a 25% chance of conception occurring in each cycle.

(At 25, this chance drops to 15%; past 40, it drops to a mere 5%.)

This means that it normally takes four to five months for conception to occur if you and your partner are in optimum health and are having sex on a regular basis. Thus, if you have unprotected sex (even just once), you have a one in four chance of getting pregnant.

What are the chances of having unprotected sex while fertile?

Answer: between 3% and 11%.

Assuming you have a perfectly regular 28 day cycle (not many of us do), you will be fertile for around two days while the egg is traveling down the Fallopian tubes. Sperm can live, on average, for two days in your vagina and uterus.

So, the chance of randomly having sex within that time frame is around 3/28 or 11%.

When egg and sperm meet, pregnancy occurs only 25% of the time. So this number is actually more around 3%.

Why is this the case?
The reasons that we become pregnant only once out of four times when having sex during our fertile time are many. The sperm can get lost and never find the egg. We also know that the egg is not the passive recipient that was thought in the past; the egg actually has defences that can be used to thwart a sperm. So, just as you may turn a guy down, the egg may refuse a sperm; we know little of how this decision is made by the egg. Alternately (and this is quite common) fertilization may take place but be rejected by your body because it is a “defective pregnancy”. Many pregnancies are rejected (miscarried, spontaneously aborted) without our even knowing our egg was fertilized. Source

Well, those sound like good odds…
If, with these chances you have perfectly random unprotected sex 20 times, you have a more than fifty-fifty chance of becoming pregnant. Put another way, if twenty women at your school/work have unprotected sex on any given day, there is a 50 percent chance that someone will become pregnant. Source

What are the chances of getting pregnant on different forms of birth control?

Image hotlink - 'http://www.plannedparenthood.org/centralnc/images/Central%20North%20Carolina/table2.jpg'

Rates of effectiveness for birth control are based on 100 women having sex for a year. So 4% means 4 women out of 100 would get pregnant while using that method for one year.

Based on where you find these statistics, the numbers for the “less effective” group will vary by around 5%.

What is “typical use” and “perfect use”?
Perfect use means just that – the method is used perfectly. The instructions are followed perfectly (you take the pill at the same time every day, you put the condom on correctly) and used every time.

Typical use allows for failures that, like it or not, we all make. This includes, but is not limited to: misreading directions, incorrect application, missing a pill/shot or forgetting to put on a condom, a condom breaking, being unable to fill a prescription, or receiving incorrect information.

I want a more detailed comparison!
Go here.

I read this, but I still think I have a very unusual scenario that I need to post about on the boards.
You don’t.
If you think you are pregnant, the ONLY way you will know if you are or not is to take a test. We can’t tell you, and all you’re going to get is a bunch of people saying “We don’t know, take a test.”

When can I take a pregnancy test?
One week after your missed period. Using early response tests, the earliest you can take a test is five days before your missed period. As a sidenote, if you go to Planned Parenthood/the ER/a doctor’s office, they are going to give you a urine test just like the one you buy at a drug store. (In other words: there are not many false positives and the Nile is not just a river in Egypt.)

No, but really…. AM I PREGNANT??
Please refer to these handy-dandy chart, created by the awesomeness that is Sumayah.
Image hotlink - 'http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/28/0b4a6fad-e9d9-404a-9154-53cd620caf18.png'
Image hotlink - 'http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/10/2/fdf05e6d-d809-4c5e-9411-a5f0c93757c0.png'

Sources
www.thebabycorner.com . . .
www.sexinfo101.com . . .
www.plannedparenthood.org . . .
en.wikipedia.org . . .
my big fat brain
Sumayah's awesomeness
your mom

14 Replies to "OH NOES!! COULD I BE PREGNANT IF?!" A definitive guide to the chances of pregnancy.

re: "OH NOES!! COULD I BE PREGNANT IF?!" A definitive guide to the chances of pregnancy. (karma: 1)
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Fri Oct 29, 2010 07:03 AM
But, but, but, I really think that my version of whatever circumstances are so much different from what you posted that I think I should still ask the question! Plus, I really want the attention, and for everyone on DDN to pat my hand and tell me that I'll be okay!

Seriously though, good job putting this all in one place. I hope this will answer most of the questions out there.

In the end though it really comes down to this:

Could you be pregnant? Well, if you aren't sure, wait until the first day of your expected period. If it doesn't show, AND you are typically very regular, then consider getting a test. DDN doesn't have the ability to tell you better than that. If you were really unsafe, and feel really unsure, then get the morning after pill and be done with it.
re: "OH NOES!! COULD I BE PREGNANT IF?!" A definitive guide to the chances of pregnancy.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Fri Oct 29, 2010 07:09 AM
LOL I love this post - lets face it if you have sexual intercourse - whether you use protection or birth control or nothing at all there is always a risk of becoming pregnant.

If you are extremely against pregnancy and don't want to get pregnant - DON'T HAVE SEX! Simple. Or as my ever so wise Nan say's "Keep your hand on your ha'penny!"

STICKY FOR THIS THOUGH PLEEEASSSE MODS!
re: "OH NOES!! COULD I BE PREGNANT IF?!" A definitive guide to the chances of pregnancy.
By boleyngrrl Comments: 2550, member since Sat Apr 15, 2006
On Fri Oct 29, 2010 07:31 AM
^^ :D Sticky. :D Sorry, pulling mind out of gutter. But I agree- most excellent post, and it should be a sticky. The info needs to be out.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Fri Oct 29, 2010 08:04 AM
www.dance.net . . .

I guess we could update it, but then the old one should probably be un-stickied.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:20 PM
On a slight hijack mode, there was someone out there that did get pregnant from oral sex... I remember reading it, she had some weird medical condition...
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:43 PM
but just to be clear, what about the elephants?

Keep On Dancing*
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15031, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 AM
On a slight hijack mode, there was someone out there that did get pregnant from oral sex... I remember reading it, she had some weird medical condition...

It was 1988 in Lesotho, Africa. She had no vagina, the area was completely sealed off. She was giving head to her boyfriend when someone else walked in, got pissed, and stabbed her. The stab wounds opened her stomach and abdomen. So the sperm somehow traveled from her stomach to her uterus during the time where this was possible via a gaping wound. Nine months later, she walks into the hospital, apparently pregnant. She gives birth via C section. Also, what the hell kind of life is this girl leading?!

Hurr

but just to be clear, what about the elephants?

If you have to ask, you're clearly not cool enough to know. *wise nod*
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5772, member since Thu Aug 30, 2001
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 07:08 PM
Love the charts. The next time I ever need graphs for homework or something, I'm definitely calling up Sumayah.
By Anonymousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 27664, member since Fri Aug 03, 2001
On Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:37 AM
I just wanted to say that you theoretically could become pregnant from anal sex, if the man were to ejaculate into your anus, and then upon withdrawing his penis, the ejaculate were to drip into your vulva area, and the sperm swim up. It's still not likely to happen, but it could happen. Sperm are really good swimmers.
By InfiniteRosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 761, member since Sun Aug 19, 2007
On Wed Nov 10, 2010 04:46 PM
I just think the answer for all these questions should be "Yes." Even though it's not true. If you're dumb enough to think you'd get pregnant from these, you could be dumb enough to wait 3 years for a baby.
On Tue Nov 16, 2010 01:24 AM
I just wanted to say that you theoretically could become pregnant from anal sex, if the man were to ejaculate into your anus, and then upon withdrawing his penis, the ejaculate were to drip into your vulva area, and the sperm swim up. It's still not likely to happen, but it could happen. Sperm are really good swimmers.

This post is meant to examine the chances of pregnancy. The chances of getting pregnant from a drop of semen dripping on your cooter during anal sex are infinitesimal. I would rank it up there with "dry humping and things got a bit moist." More to the point, I have never heard of a single documented case where someone got pregnant from anal. It has never happened.

Though if one got pregnant by dripping fluids or bad aim resulting in a plunge into the wrong hole, that's not real getting pregnant from anal. That's getting pregnant from being sloppy.
By Ballerina0306 Comments: 21, member since Thu Nov 03, 2011
On Wed Dec 28, 2011 09:54 AM
Ummmm .... Ok then? What does this have to do with dance? Shouldn't this be posted elsewhere? I'm just saying, my seven year old sister surfs this site and pg-13 will do nothing but encourage her...
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Dec 28, 2011 09:56 AM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2011-12-28 09:58:35
^ Your 7 year old sister shouldn't be on this website. You have to be 13 years and older. You should watch your sister to make sure she doesn't access the pg 13 threads.
If she does, that is your fault of her Guardian.

This has to do with dance, because dancers get pregnant too.
By Anonymousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 27664, member since Fri Aug 03, 2001
On Thu Jul 19, 2012 08:34 PM
"Only vaginal intercourse can lead to pregnancy"

Yeah...I'll never be pregnant. :'(

ReplySendWatch