Poll: Advice / Cars & Driving

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: How many cars have you owned (including the one(s) you have now if applicable)
By SarahdncrPremium member
On Sun Nov 07, 2010 06:38 PM
Since I received my drivers license at 16:

'75 AMC Hornet Hatchback Wagon (O.k, who remembers AMC?)(High School)
'78 Plymouth Volare' Wagon (College)
'83 Dodge (Mitsubichi) Challanger (Post College and Grad School)
'84 Crysler Caprice (Winter Car for Post College and Grad School)
'90 Subaru Loyale Wagon (Bought in '93, first car I bought fairly new - sold in in '07 with 216K on the odomiter)
'00 Saab 9-5 Wagon (First brand new car I ever purchased)
'07 Saab 9-5 Wagon (Second brand new car I have owned)

Can anybody tell I like station wagons? Most young folks probably would not want one, but they are very practicle.
re: How many cars have you owned (including the one(s) you have now if applicable)
By pondflyPremium member
On Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:18 PM
Tansey, I too was taught to drive manual. In fact, I was taught to drive on the hills in the surrounding towns to build up my confidence (yes Illinois does have hills higher than a speed bump).

I have a commercial drivers license and have pretty much driven every kind of manual out there from sports cars to the most sloppy gear box and destroyed clutch pack which took triple clutching to change.

Sarah- I do remember the good old AMC's as I grew up behind a dealership and my dad had an old International pickup I used to drive as well. I love my Magnum as it is a station wagon as well. It has so much storage space and drives like a sports car but I don't drive it when the snow is down as there is no traction.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:17 PM
Edited by toroandbruin (202876) on 2010-11-07 23:19:59
VW Bug. No gas gauge. You kicked over to a small, spare tank when it ran out. I "inherited" it at 17 (in 1957) when my parents got a newer VW.

"Blue Shark" large Detroit shark-finned, something-or-other my husband and I bought, used, when first married. He drove it most of the time.

The. Original. Mustang. Red. (Replaced the Blue Shark.) He drove it most of the time.

Blue Cougar. I drove it. We had moved to LA and the VW bug was just not safe enough if I got into a crash on those highways.

The. Original. Datsun 240Z. He drove it most of the time. It replaced the Mustang which was by then only about 10 years old and we really, really, really, should have hung onto it until it was a classic.

Large Chevy Blazer (replaced the Cougar). I drove it most of the time. We had moved to Colorado and needed something for camping and 4-wheeling and I needed to get to work in the snow.

Chevy Blazer #2, a compact version by now. I drove it most of the time. We gave the 1st Blazer, now 10 years old, to my teenage son. It lasted yet another 9 years before he sold it to a fix-it-up neighbor and, who knows, it may be going, still.

Burgundy, Detroit mini-van. My husband drove it mostly because the 240Z was often waiting for him to have time to repair it. The van was good for civilized camping when my husband and I slept in the back, (The now older kids had their own tents if they wanted to go, too.)

Chevy Blazer #3, a compact version. (Replaced Blazer#2.) I drive it most of the time.

White, Japanese mini-van. My husband drives it most of the time. Replaced the Detroit van which didn't hold up well. The current van is roomier for camping in and gets better gas mileage. Also replaced the 240Z, now a classic car, which we sold to a retired friend for $1 so he could fix it up and race it.

And, then, there's my father's car which I inherited when he died. However I don't count it as I immediately gave it to my oldest grandchild who desperately needed it to get to classes.

That's 10 cars ( 5 each, when split between my husband and myself) in 53 years. Our cars tend to last for 10 years and, if we keep them longer, they go through 2 engines.
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch