Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

strengthening for extensions & questions
By liamsayywhaat
On Sun Oct 31, 2010 08:21 PM

hi everyone.

so I've been working towards a 180+ degree extension for the longest time. I can do it with my hands and hold it, but when I let go I can barely get it past 120 degrees. I believe what I'm trying to do is a tilt (correct me if I'm wrong). if so, do you need a full middle split to do a tilt? what can I do to strengthen my legs to hold them up?

3 Replies to strengthening for extensions & questions

re: strengthening for extensions & questions
By JordanDances
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 06:56 AM
Start from fifth and bring your devant foot into a retire up the leg and out into a developpe. Sustain that developpe for as long as is comfortable, and ease back into retire and back to fifth. Do the developpes en croix, holding them in each position, making sure to keep your back upright, hips aligned.

That's one good way that I work my extension. And as for the tilt, are you talking kind of like a panche?
By liamsayywhaat
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 08:29 PM
no, not a penchee, i find those relatively easy. i mean a tilt. it's hard to describe but there are plenty of examples in the jazz photos - members board. i just figured i'd ask here.
By balletboyrhysmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Nov 26, 2010 06:33 PM
a tilt is like a penchee, but in second position. ideally the hips are stacked on top of each other and the legs are split at a 180 degree angle.

ReplySendWatch