Forum: Highland / Highland - Costumes

Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4
Highland - Costumes
Web Site with Links to Pictures of Costumes (karma: 8)
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 09:13 AM
Bumped by hummingbird (128773) on 2012-10-11 09:52:45
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2012-10-23 15:53:58

I've been working to learn more about tartans this year, and ended up compiling the links to pictures I've studied on a web site so they can be of use to others, as well. Take a look and let me know what you think:

dancerkilts.tripod.com . . .

Thank you in advance for all constructive criticism!

79 Replies to Web Site with Links to Pictures of Costumes

re: Web Site with Links to Pictures of Costumes
By tavcandancePremium member Comments: 457, member since Mon Nov 02, 2009
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:23 AM
Great job!!
By LilDancer17 Comments: 683, member since Thu Dec 04, 2008
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:51 AM
I love it...I think it's great...now a person can see what it looks like made up in just one spot...Thanx!!

PS I think you should add an Orange category(I love orange)...My daughter dances in Modern Dundee (under my profile)...LOVE IT!! LOL LOL LOL LOL
By Jennypollock1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 519, member since Wed Feb 06, 2008
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:05 AM
Edited by Jennypollock1 (191617) on 2010-11-01 11:07:35
Hello.

You have worked hard on this well done.
The Christina young could come under the orange as well.

It was fun looking through the pics and finding myself there in the Macpherson and Menzies.

Jenny xxx

Edit. Just noticed you have the Christina young.

Jenny xxx
By Dancinlassie Comments: 249, member since Sun Jul 29, 2007
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 01:05 PM
Nice collection.

My only concern...do you have permission to use these photographs?

:)
By Jennypollock1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 519, member since Wed Feb 06, 2008
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 01:30 PM
Hello.

There was a thread like this before It might have been made a sticky.
I think if your pics are allready on the internet and mostly those photos were firstly taken by professionals at highland games are on the net anyway eg flickr also mostly put up by the dancers them selves I think it must be okay.

It would be wrong to take a photo of a dancer then put it up without permission. But not if those pics are already up in the first place. I always ask when I take photos of friends if they would like them on dance.net.

This is just what I think.

Jenny xxx
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 01:42 PM
I agree with Jenny....I think if they are already out there(on the net) then it should be OK....It's just nice to see all those picture you can look at on MANY different sites be in ONE neat little site!!
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 01:57 PM
Dancinlassie wrote:

...My only concern...do you have permission to use these photographs?

In the US (where I am located), internet copyright laws extend to copying content (i.e. words and pictures) that belongs to another person without permission. Copyright permissions are not necessary when providing a link to a public web site, as you are directing users to that site, not loading content on your own site. I think of it like someone asking directions to a stranger on the street. Linking would be the equivalent of giving the person directions to the grocery store, while copying content is more like offering to let them buy your groceries that you just got at the store so they don't have to go there. ;)

If someone has a photograph posted that they do not want linked, I am of course happy to remove it as a matter of courtesy - just let me know.
By olybeans Comments: 35, member since Tue Feb 09, 2010
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 04:41 PM
This is wonderful! I have bookmarked your website and will be sure to visit it often. One thing that might be helpful would be to have a small "swatch" of the tartan next to the tartan's name, just in case you're browsing for a specific pattern and don't know the name. I know it's possible to do this on other tartan-finder websites, then go back and reference your pictures, but this might save one step.

Again, thank you for going through all this work!
By KathyP Comments: 464, member since Thu Apr 06, 2006
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 07:12 PM
Nice!
You might want to change the target of the link to a new window so that a person doesn't have to keep hitting the back button to go back to your site. It would also allow the person to open a few windows at once and compare them more easily.

Here's a page that explains target if you aren't familiar with that attribute -www.w3schools.com . . .
By DDAspynPremium member Comments: 177, member since Tue Nov 07, 2006
On Mon Nov 01, 2010 08:31 PM
Amazing job...I have also book marked this site. I also agree that there is no need for permission as you are not re-posting the photos, only providing links. As one of them is of my daughter that I posted, I have no problem with this.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Are you thinking of adding more and would you like suggestions of links for tartans that are not posted yet?
By Evanz Comments: 9, member since Tue Nov 02, 2010
On Tue Nov 02, 2010 02:41 AM
Hi, I'm from NZ and new to Dance net and thought I would just say this post is FANTASTIC! Thank you so much!
On Tue Nov 02, 2010 05:00 AM
LilDancer17 wrote:

PS I think you should add an Orange category(I love orange)...My daughter dances in Modern Dundee (under my profile)...

I love that one! Will definitely have to add it!

olybeans wrote:

One thing that might be helpful would be to have a small "swatch" of the tartan next to the tartan's name, just in case you're browsing for a specific pattern and don't know the name. I know it's possible to do this on other tartan-finder websites, then go back and reference your pictures, but this might save one step...

This is such a great idea but, unfortunately, not possible unless I have either A) permission from another web site to use their swatches or B) a swatch of every tartan listed to photograph and post myself. I'm definitely going to add a page with direct links to pages of swatches, so thanks for inspiring that!

KathyP wrote:

You might want to change the target of the link to a new window so that a person doesn't have to keep hitting the back button to go back to your site. It would also allow the person to open a few windows at once and compare them more easily.

Thank you for this idea AND for including the helpful link! My HTML isn't always up to snuff for everything I want to try, so the link was immensely helpful :) I've just spent about an hour revamping the Other & Multi-Colored Page (it's the shortest, LOL) - is this kind of what you had in mind? dancerkilts.tripod.com . . .

DDAspyn wrote:

Are you thinking of adding more and would you like suggestions of links for tartans that are not posted yet?

I would love to add more, especially tartans that are not posted yet! I'm trying to use as many direct links as possible (i.e. just the picture showing) so that people don't have to scroll around unnecessarily. If you have pictures to contribute, feel free to leave the link here, PM me, or e-mail me (link on the web site).

Thank you all for your kind comments and helpful suggestions! I'm really looking forward to implementing improvements and continuing to expand the collection of links :)
On Tue Nov 02, 2010 06:42 AM
Yep - that is what I was talking about! The page looks cleaner too since you don't show the link and added a text description....more readable and therefore useable. Great job!
On Tue Nov 02, 2010 09:06 AM
I agree with KathyP...that looks AWESOME....and yes more readable.....You did a great Job!
Congrats!
By DancingKat18 Comments: 20, member since Sat Oct 23, 2010
On Wed Nov 03, 2010 07:36 AM
This is a fantastic way to be able to see the tartans as full outfits, it makes choosing a kilt easier, also harder as there are so many to choose from :) great job though i love it.
On Sat Nov 06, 2010 03:30 AM
Hello,
I think I have picked my next tartan.
so many to choose from.
Jenny XXX
On Sat Nov 06, 2010 06:07 AM
Jennypollock1 wrote:

Hello,
I think I have picked my next tartan.
so many to choose from.
Jenny XXX

Are you going to tell us what it is, or do we have to wait in suspense? ;)
On Mon Nov 15, 2010 07:39 PM
Thanks to KathyP's extensive help, the whole site now has a much tidier look and hopefully is easier to navigate. I've had several requests from costumers/suppliers asking me to add their links, which I am happy to do for everyone. Thanks for all the helpful feedback I've received via e-mail!
By tavcandancePremium member Comments: 457, member since Mon Nov 02, 2009
On Tue Nov 16, 2010 04:01 AM
Agreed, it looks even better now, super! Do you want another Dress Pride of Scotland photo? I got a good one of my DD that shows her new hose from Bonnie Toes! You may use this if you like. :)
By shakenturn Comments: 938, member since Sat Oct 08, 2005
On Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:42 AM
Emmy....
Thank you for doing this very large project. It is very helpful for those who are considering a change, be it a different color jacket or vest, or an entire new outfit. It is so difficult to imagine how something will look just by looking at material or swatches.
Your effort is really appreciated!
By shakenturn Comments: 938, member since Sat Oct 08, 2005
On Wed Nov 17, 2010 06:33 PM
Edited by shakenturn (142804) on 2010-11-17 18:40:33
Do you think it would be possible for your link to be a Sticky? This would be a great resource for anyone looking to purchase a kilt or nationals outfit.
I realize that there is the Sticky at the top of the Highland Costumes page
as a previous post indicated. However, that was put up in 2006. Yours could replace that one as it is more up to date and is more user friendly because it is categorized according to the tartan color.
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 08:43 AM
Another update: I've added a page of "To Be Identified" tartans, so viewers can assist in identifying the tartans that have me stumped. Some gorgeous colors here!

dancerkilts.tripod.com . . .
By roseprancer Comments: 128, member since Mon Apr 07, 2008
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 02:19 PM
hi, just to say i have no problem with you using two pics of my daughter (dress allendale aboyne), if you want a pic of her in her kilt outfit (red dress longniddry) just ask as i am fine with sending you one. this is a great site as it helps to actually see a tartan made up into an outfit
On Sat Nov 20, 2010 08:14 PM
Edited by KathyP (155660) on 2010-11-20 20:19:54 added some more
#17 and #18 is my daughter and it is Dress Traquair - you already have some pics of her under Green Tartans - Dress Traquair - the vest she wears is black but the jacket is actually a very dark green, that looks black in the pictures. :)
Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch