Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

Bluebird lift & questions about practicing.
By dancr4everNevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 03, 2010 03:53 PM

I have two quick questions. First, I am having a lot of trouble with the bluebird lift. My partner can get me onto his shoulder fine, but it seems as though my thighs are too on his shoulder too much. From what I hear, my pubic bone/hips should be resting on his shoulders, but instead he often places me where it's my thighs. This makes it difficult for me to keep my back up and causes the lift to lose it's beauty. I feel like there's not much I can do to fix this problem, however, that is because I'm not very experienced with this lift. Is there anything I can do to ensure the proper placement on his shoulder?

Also, my rehearsals seem to be wasting away before my eyes and I still don't feel ready for my pas de deux. I only have the chance to rehearse with my partner once a week, so I was just wondering if there is any way I can practice the pas on my own to make it run smoother for the next rehearsal.

Thanks for anything you can help me with :)

www.ballet.co.uk . . .

There's a link of the lift, by the way, in case you were unsure of the lift I am talking about:)

1 Replies to Bluebird lift & questions about practicing.

re: Bluebird lift & questions about practicing.
By BalletdogPremium member
On Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:34 AM
Edited by Balletdog (120852) on 2010-11-09 00:42:06
You're correct that your hips, not your thighs, need to be on his shoulder. If your thighs are on his shoulder, you're not balanced like a teeter-totter on his shoulder, and you tend to tip forward too much. Based on my experience with the Bluebird lift, your partner and you need to work out how you each do your part of the lift, so you end up "landing" on your hips as you're placed onto his shoulder.

Regarding not having enough pas practice, nothing can replace actual practice with your partner, since pas steps are done as a twosome, not by yourself. But, given that you aren't getting enough practice, my advice is to spend the time you're on your own psyching yourself up to be solid like a board as you're being partnered. When the lady is solid, it is much much easier for him to partner you. Spend your time doing basic barre and center work, including ballet steps you are doing while being partnered - concentrating on keeping your core solid! This will make a significant difference in how the pas de deux goes in the practice you do have, and in your performance.

Go for it,

Rick

ReplySendWatch