Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

How to get started ( if thats the word) ?
By dancebabe34
On Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:41 PM

So I just started ID about three months ago. Its pretty fun, and ive learned alot.

But, I really want to get all my basic stuff down so I can try to go to a feis next year.

SO my questions are, how does everyone stay motivated? How to you schedule yourself so you have time to practice? Whatdo you do when you get frustrated?

7 Replies to How to get started ( if thats the word) ?

re: How to get started ( if thats the word) ? (karma: 1)
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 06, 2010 03:32 PM
Edited by RAID_Babe (220382) on 2010-11-06 15:40:03
How do you stay motivated?
I've had a lot of trouble keeping motivated and I've been dancing for 10 years. What I usually find helps, is if I turn up my favourite Reel, or Jig and play it full-blast. Then I try to make steps to go with it. Another technique I use, to keep motivated, is writing down how long you practiced for and then keep aiming higher. Add what you practice and whether you drilled it or not. This usually gives more incentive to work harder the next time, therefore you stay motivated. Finally, my favourite way to stay motivated is to find a few good videos on YouTube and watch them. The best one which I've come across would be this: www.youtube.com . . . and just watch the troupe dancers mostly.

How do you make time to practice?
If you're balancing dancing with school, uni, work or other things, it can be really difficult to find a decent amount of time to work through and drill your steps. What I've founds works so well to coordinate everything, (dancing, other sports, school, work) is to make a timetable and follow it. For example, you do 4 hours of homework, then practice for 45mins. Finding space can be an issue too when trying to find time to practice; what I suggest is, hire a hall once a week, to get a good, decent one hour practice in. There is always the park too. My friend and I spent one Saturday afternoon, practicing at a park, for over 3 hours. It's hard trying to fit it all in, but once you have a certain routine in which to follow, you'll be prepared and set to manage all the othing aspects of life.

What do you do when you get frustrated?
You get out the Hard Shoes, lol. However, if you're not up to learning Hard Shoe, something else you can try is going through the dance/s again and if you're still struggling or for whatever reason becoming frustrated, stop, stretch and leave it for a few hours or even a day. Come back to it and keep trying. If it's timing you have issues with, listen to the music, if it's the steps, break them down. And remember to talk to your TC if you have problems or are having trouble, they can break the step down or show you the correct timing.

Hope this helps and good luck with your Irish Dancing endevours! :D
By leaps4lifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 06, 2010 03:42 PM
dancebabe34, I will try to help.

How does everyone stay motivated?

As for me, I stay motivated by watching older, advanced dancers and see how beautiful they dance and I think 'Well, they had to have started somewhere!' You can also get motivated by watching videos of champions and amazing dancers on youtube or some other video website. You can even get motivated on DDN!

Schedule?

I haven't been very good about having a schedule...but a lot of people on DDN are great at it! Really, all you have to do is say 'Okay...I want to move up to the next level. I'm going to practice for 6 hours a week at home for 4 days a week.' Then make a list of warm-ups, and specific dance you need to drill and stick with it!

What to do when you get frustrated?

All I have to say here, is think about all you've gone through and think about how many things you watched someone do and say 'I will never be able to do that'...if you work hard and concentrate, you'll be able to do whatever you put your heart to! ;)

I hope this has helped you! Feel free to PM me if ya need anything else!!

~leaps4life
re: How to get started ( if thats the word) ?
By leaps4lifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 06, 2010 03:43 PM
Whoa Raid_babe! I guess great minds think alike!! LOL ;)
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 06, 2010 03:46 PM
I guess they do!! Your advice is so true, and I especially love the first point about watching the advanced dancers. They're an inspiration.
By designerdancer
On Sat Nov 06, 2010 09:24 PM
motivated
I agree with above, watch older dancers/ champs, youtube videos,
but also look at yourself; write down on a piece of paper 5 things your good at in Irish dance (turned out feet, straight legs, etc.) and then write down 5 things you would realistically like to achieve and state them affirmatively (I will get the timing of my slip jig perfectly by practicing for half an hour on the dance every second day after school) be specific!! and keep those lists up on the wall to look at every day!

schedule
sit down at a table with a pen and piece of paper and write down your weekly schedule (using graph paper helps). write the days horizontally on top and write the time from 8am to 9pm vertically down the left side in half hour increments. Write when you have school, the time it takes you to travel from point a to point b, dance classes and other activities, in the the spaces in between fill in when you would like to practice and what you would like to practice

frustrated
take a deep breath, remember why you dance: for you and for fun, and because you love it. Then slow it down and start from the top. What's getting you frustrated? if its a step break it down slowly so your feet can get what your mind is trying to get it to do.

Hope this helps
By irishlover
On Thu Dec 02, 2010 01:52 PM
-how do you stay motivated?

i also watch videos on youtube etc of advanced dancers (i.e world champs, micheal flatley, riverdance) because i hope one day i can be almost as good as they are :)

-schedule

i currently don't have one. I try to practice at night for around an hour except for days i have practise. When you have homework and your studies though it is quite hard, so when i'm finished my work i do something to entertain then dance. If you have lots of work to do maybe only practise for around 30 mins or double practise the next day.

-frustrated?
I put on my hard shoes and dance the frustration out! you can really stamp it out. Either that or i put on my pumps and practise jumps.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 02, 2010 02:23 PM
How do you stay motivated?
I've been dancing years too and regularly go through periods where I am really demotivated. It doesn't help that I also get really tired all time and I'm anaemic. To keep motivated I just talk to myself in the mirror, and keep repeating in my head I can do it and I am good and I want more trophies. The more I win the more motivated I am. Set yourself small goals and try and reach them. :)

How do you make time to practice?
I really struggle with this too. I work shifts so time is precious. I dance 7 hours a week at classes and inbetween I am signed up to a gym. It means I can keep my fitness and work on stuff like core strength, flexibility. On the days I don't have time for that I just do situps and stretch before bed. Doing turnout stretches.

What do you do when you get frustrated?
You get out the Hard Shoes, lol.
I have also been known to have full on hissy fits, tears and stamping the feet the whole lot. :) Sometimes it just needs to be done.

ReplySendWatch