Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

SATNAV'S ???? Best for uk drivers.. Tomtom?? HELP PLEASE>
By Kaytexmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:46 AM

Hi,

so im looking to getting a SATNAV :)

i am swaying towards the Tom Tom XL Classic (pictured)
purely because this is the one my boyfriend has, and i
used before. i probably use it alot more than him to be
honest!

i was told i can receive the tomtom auto traffic updates
which is very usful because if there is an accident on
your planned route it will automaticaly take you around
the accident to avoid delay.. i get this if i buy the add on
for approx £27 which seems quite reasonable.

Can anybody give me any feedback on this service or
if you have a sat nav whihc you think could better this?

thank you :)

kayte xx

9 Replies to SATNAV'S ???? Best for uk drivers.. Tomtom?? HELP PLEASE>

re: SATNAV'S ???? Best for uk drivers.. Tomtom?? HELP PLEASE>
By Jodee_babesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 08, 2010 07:04 AM
Hey,

My dad has that tomtom its very good lol.

My fiance has the tomtom one it is shocking! sends you round in circles. Mum also have tomtom one and hates it!

I have a navman and its great:)

<3
By pondflyPremium member
On Mon Nov 08, 2010 08:14 PM
If you can get a Garmin, you would be better off. Garmin has been at the beginning and designed some of the GPS sats. They are much better IMHO.
By forgetxmexnot
On Tue Nov 09, 2010 05:31 PM
Another vote for a Garmin. I've used a Tomtom and a Garmin side to side and the Garmin was DEFINITELY better.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:11 AM
I used to have a Garmin and it served its purpose. I have never used any other though, so I don't know how it measures up!
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:26 AM
How good a GPS is really just depends on where you're using it. They have troubling triangulating in cities with tall buildings. (Right when you really need them to work!) If you're hoping to get good navigation in whatever the British equivalent of NYC or even Philly is... think again! Not gonna happen.

My boyfriend and I both have TomToms. He has the TomTom XL S, the same as the one you're considering except it reads out street names (the "S" stands for Speech!). I forget what kind I have. I think it's a TomTom ONE of some sort.

I bought him his TomTom and researched hard before I picked that brand. I just don't like the format of the Garmins, I don't think they're as user friendly and I don't remember reading many positive reviews. My mom has a Magellan and it's nearly useless, and my dad has an off-brand cheap thing of similar quality. Boy and I's TomToms very, very rarely get confused (I can think of only once when it wasn't in a city, and it fares pretty well even among tall buildings). It's a lifesaver!

Certain parts of the add-ons are free. Basic stuff like alerting you of red-light cameras, updating the street maps, and even some of the custom voices. (I wanted to download Mr. T reading street names for me, but it cost like $15 which wasn't worth it. You can get Morgan Freeman, and even the Queen of England too! ...it's not really her, but whatever, who cares)

There's also an app that finds your cheapest gas stations... I don't remember if you had to pay for that one or not.

I didn't feel like purchasing all the extra stuff because I don't really need it and in fact never remember to hook up the machine to update the maps. Even the automatic stuff I don't know if you'd need, if I hit a roadblock I can just manually tell it to take me another way.

Thing I use most: Points of Interest!!
By rosalinde
On Sun Nov 14, 2010 03:02 AM
I have a Tom Tom XL Europe and love it! It does sometimes send me in directions I find weird, but I can always trust it to get me where I need to go. I've taken it all over Holland, Belgium, France, and Germany and it hasn't let me down once (oh, wait, it did die on me once in the heart of Dortmund, that was annoying, but I just pressed reset and it was back in business. Lesson learnt: bring a map as well, just in case).

My friend has a Garmin and it shuts itself down if you don't do as it says for more that two times and she then has to reset it. What? You're a computer, you stupid SatNav! I'm the one who decides where to go!
By boleyngrrl
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 08:50 AM
Recalculating answer...

SATNAVs are great when you are going somewhere completely out of your comfort zone, but any other time I'd just go with the internet printed directions or a map. Honestly, all SATNAVs annoy me to death. Garmin even has a fun little setting that is "show me the rout," where it will tell you you are making all the right turns when in fact you are just getting lost, lost, and more lost. So I don't like garmin. A lot of my friends have tomtom and love it, although I have never used their systems. I personally like the Magellan Maestro (the same one Hertz rental service uses). It's got buttons instead of a touchscreen, and I prefer working with buttons. It's pretty large, though, so if you're going for a windshield mount don't go for this one. I think it's easy to use, and the voice is clear. It's pretty expensive though. I think it's about US$400. I just go with an old fashioned map though, or googlemaps or mapquest. :D
By nic_dancezonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 09:03 AM
I have a garmin and I love it so much. Only time it has done anything wrong is when I put the wrong postcode in and I wondered why it was sending me wrong way on M25.

Mum has a tomtom and I cannot use it for life of me and hate it with a passion.

Go in to halfords, John lewis etc and use them and see what you like.
By Kaytexmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 18, 2010 05:30 PM
Hi all :)

thanks for all your help..

after going to various shops and having a go on them all i got a:

Tom Tom xl europe..and i got a free subscription to tomtome live..

i love the tom tom maps etc..and it has not got me lost yet!

the tom tom live is fab too, only needed it one so far but if there is a traffic accident on say M6 junction 6-7 it gives me the opetion to wait in the delay and tells me how long for or it will divert me around it!

Love it.. id 100% reccomend it!

kayte xx

ReplySendWatch