Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

How to stay composed during a really sad dance?
By kitri4life
On Sun Nov 14, 2010 01:17 PM

Im dancing a pas de deux for a leukemia charity called kisses for kate. the problem is that i knew a little girl that died because of leukemia and im afraid i will start sobbing while dancing. my partner says he will hold me up but if im crying i know i could hurt both of us by not focusing. i still need to show emotion, but not start bawling!

2 Replies to How to stay composed during a really sad dance?

re: How to stay composed during a really sad dance?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sun Nov 14, 2010 02:33 PM
This is why being too emotional during a performance can be a really BAD THING. It's easy to say that you want to really experience the emotion, but the truth is that you are there to perform the part. Try not to think of your personal experiences and associations and try to make the DANCE as effective as you can. This, like many things, is mind-above-matter: you have to stop thinking that your break down is inevitable, and start removing those associations from your dancing. Showing emotion does not mean experiencing that emotion: it's performing.
re: How to stay composed during a really sad dance?
By kitri4life
On Sun Nov 14, 2010 07:31 PM
thank you so much! i will definitely remember that and make the emotion about the dance and not the sadness. thanks again!

ReplySendWatch