Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys PG-13

" Survival Guide to the Big Bad World"
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 02:34 PM
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2010-11-19 14:37:20
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2010-11-19 14:41:44
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2010-11-19 14:48:15
Locked by jazz_lover (99333) on 2010-11-19 15:18:30 Opps. Total fail of a thread. Gonna stick to my survival book.

"http://www.dance.net/topic/9327517/5/Secrets-PG-13/I-was-dumb-def-pg-13.html&replies=102"

Some great points were brought up on this thread. I wanted to write a sticky on this, but I am a horrible writer. Maybe we can get a collective group of great writers to write up something sticky worthy. Maybe people with some personal experience on the topics.

Topics that would hopefully be included...
1. YOUR responsibility when it comes to sex.
2. Should you rely on your sexual partner for honest STD information, or is that a stupid idea. Reasons why or why not.
3. Rape Vs Guilty after.
4. How you should get out of a awkward sexual situation. ( Clothes are all off, but you change your mind about sex)
5. What to do if you see a women being slipped a rape drug.
6. What to do if you find out your friend's SO is having an affair.
7. What to do if your child asks you about sex.
8. What are things to do after you are raped.
9. The steps to take if you find yourself falling into a Eating Disorder.
10. If your friend tells you that her SO is abusing her.
11. How to cure a hangover.
12. How to clean up broken glass.
13. What to do if you see a parent slap a child in the face in a public place.
14. What to do if you see a strange man at the park trying to talk to a little girl...asking about a "lost puppy" ( sex can be vice versa)
ETC ETC

Just a basic thread to cover important basics that every adult should know.Stuff that SHOULD be common sense, but it always isn't. Let us all put our thinking caps on and get all the great minds of DDN together!

( Sorry if I made it sound like things exclusive to girls. Men can chime in with their own problems too.)

Here is the first question that I want answered.

1. How do you remove coffee stains from couches? I just had a guest spill coffee on the white couch.

12 Replies to " Survival Guide to the Big Bad World"

re: " Survival Guide to the Big Bad World"
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 02:48 PM
Edited by webstAr (54294) on 2010-11-19 14:50:57
Whoa, that's a wide range of topics to discuss! I think it would be wise to narrow things down, because we're going to have a really unfocused thread.

Here's my weigh-in for #2, because I was the one that brought up the legal ramifications up in the original thread.

It's like crossing at a cross-walk. If you get hit by a car crossing the street, legally the person that hit you is responsible. However, that doesn't mean that you can just dart into the street without checking for cars, or waiting for them to stop. If you get hit, the driver is the one legally responsible - but you've still been hit by a car. You're either seriously injured, or DEAD.

So, in an adult, sexual relationship - there are responsibilities on both parties. It's my responsibility to look out for myself, first an foremost. I should be protecting myself, both from pregnancy and STD/STIs. However, it's also my responsibility to get routine STD check-ups, to make sure that I'm giving my partner all of the information that they deserve to have. Check-ups are also good for my own health and peace of mind.

EDIT: Ok, you managed to edit that MAJORLY while I was posting - what the heck is this thread for?! And what does you first question have to do with ANYTHING? Girl, you make my head spin. :?
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 02:49 PM
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2010-11-19 14:54:15
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2010-11-19 14:56:54
hmmmmm^ Narrowing it down might be a good idea.
Maybe we can have different threads for "household", "foods and drinks", "sexual things" ( thats what the thread would fall under).

What do you guys all think?

If you guys think this is a really stupid idea, thats fine. I just have "handbook to life" kind of book that lists numerous sticky situations. I just thought a DDN version of it would be really cool.Since we can get a lot of different ideas, instead of just ONE author.

Response to edit.

I guess this thread is for "common sense" stuff that most adults should known.
Such as STD's, responsibility etc. Just stuff that people should have learned in high school/college but never seemed too.

I was just linking the thread which gave me the idea. This obviously isn't the final product that is for the sticky. ( more of a rough draft? )Just a place to combine ideas for the future thread that would become the official one. I wouldn't be writing it, since I can't write for crap.
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 02:55 PM
What do I think? I think you've forgotten the fact that we have an entire advice forum with another 20 subcategories. I think you should use those categories to your advantage if you have specific questions or things you'd like to discuss.

You've been a member of this website for 6 years now - you know how this works.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 02:57 PM
Wow, you edited the daylights out of the thread. Hint: just because you've got a two hour edit window, doesn't give you the right to abuse it. If your threads constantly morph and change, no one can respond to them because no one has any idea what the crap you're talking about.

14 questions to answer in one thread. Wowza. Good luck with all that.
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 02:58 PM
I guess you are right. I just thought having ONE thread with a huge list of survival skills/getting out of sticky situations would have been really cool.
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 03:02 PM
Theresa, maybe you can clarify for me.

Last time I DIDN'T edit my post and posted a new message, it got deleted because it was apparently "star farming". ( I even had 3 paragraphs in it).
So am I allowed to edit and go back, or am I supposed to post like 3 new messages in a row? I've had posts removed for NOT editing ( posting 3 in a row), and I also been told I can't edit and change messages. Which is it? Color me confused.

Anyways, maybe I though this was a better idea then it really was. I thought the book was really cool to read. It covered everything from spilled wine, bad breath, runs in nylons etc. I personally found it useful. I just thought DDN would be a really good place to do this, since there is SUCH a variety of knowledge on here.
re: " Survival Guide to the Big Bad World" (karma: 2)
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 03:06 PM
I would suggest, especially when creating a thread, to take your time. Read things over. Re-read it. Read it again, to make sure it's to your liking. You know what? Read it ONE more time, just to be sure - then press post.
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 03:07 PM
I understand that there are numerous forumns, but where do we post questions that can be answered pretty easily? Like " Are you supposed to whip cream room temperature or cold". It wouldn't take 30 posts to answer that one question.I guess google would suffice...
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 03:10 PM
Or read the package...?
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 03:10 PM
I actually think this is a really poor idea. So many of these situations don't have one single black or white solution - there are so many shades of grey that what I do in a given situation might be completely different to what Jane does, or to what Bob does, that giving advice about it is completely pointless.

And some of those things are just so far from being anybody else's business than the person they are happening to that there's really nothing you should be doing.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 03:12 PM
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2010-11-19 15:14:40
It doesn't say on the package. Apparently you are supposed to put the bowl and whisk in the fridge about two hours before. You are also supposed to whip in a big bowl to get more air in.

If only I knew that, I would have been able to whip it in a few minutes and not 20 minutes! lol.

Ah well. I thought the wealth of knowledge in one area was a good idea. My bad.

Odessa, I agree with you on some of the things being "no ones business". I was hoping someone would cover that part when they wrote their advice column. Remember that secret thread that was asking about what to do about a friends wife having an abortion? ( and affair in some other thread).
re: " Survival Guide to the Big Bad World" (karma: 1)
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 03:13 PM
I avoided that original thread, and I'm avoiding whatever drama is going on here, but Oxy-Clean works miracles on getting stains out of couches!

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed