Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Can't afford bc and don't know what the heck to do.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 06:32 PM
Edited by Krystal (73000) on 2010-11-24 18:32:57
Edited by Krystal (73000) on 2010-11-24 18:35:07

Big, huge vent ahead.

I can't afford the NuvaRing anymore and I'm so upset.

I had Medicaid up until June, then I turned 19 and was told I make too much money and blah blah blah. I got the ring free up until then, and for the past several months I've been getting free 'samples' of it from the ob/gyn here. However, they won't give me anymore and I had to borrow a ring from my manager (terribly embarassing).

The prescription (with my current insurance) is $72. SEVENTY TWO DOLLARS. The insurance takes $40 off, but SERIOUSLY?! I've told the ob/gyn I simply cannot afford that and I need some samples, but they said they can give out 3 and that's it.

(some more info needed: this is the ONLY bc I've tried that works. I tried 8 or so kinds of pills and every single one of them gave me awful migraines and depression.)

I heard the local health dept sells cheap bc, so I had an appt yesterday expecting to get 3 rings for $25 like my friend (supposedly) got. Do you think I ended up with that? NO. I was told the prescription would still be $72 because I do have insurance and they can't just give them to me like that.

I was told to (re)apply for Medicaid. I did that. I make $14 over the limit. FOURTEEN FREAKING DOLLARS.

I was told to apply for family planning services which covers bc and one annual exam. I DON'T QUALIFY because I make too much. Go figure.

I wanted an IUD. No, couldn't get that either. Because, "you haven't had a baby, your periods will be heavy, and you need to pay for it all up front for whatever the insurance doesn't cover."

I asked about Implanon. No one does that around here.

Depo shot? Another possibility, but I'm so wary of doing that because I've had such bad luck with bc. If I hear amazing reviews on it, I'll consider it.

I can't take estrogen in bc, unless it's very low amounts of it. That's why the NuvaRing is my savior.

Health Dept Nurse offered me 70 condoms for all the frustrations I'm going through. Like condoms will fix everything.

Anyone been in this situation? Or anything even slightly similar? The ob/gyn place here won't even evaluate me for an IUD (even Mirena) because I haven't had a baby, even though it is CLEARLY okay to get when I've not had one).

I just don't know what to do. And it's stressing me out so bad. I have two weeks til I take my ring out and then I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO after that.

I'm tempted to drive thirty miles away to the next city and see what they can do for me...but I don't want to waste my time if they'll tell me the same thing. And it wouldn't really matter anyway; the prescription will still be $72!

For the record, I know I just could not have sex, but come on. I'm married and that's what married people do.

/vent

*headdeskfacepalm*

44 Replies to Can't afford bc and don't know what the heck to do.

re: Can't afford bc and don't know what the heck to do.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 06:36 PM
WOW... I should fill my script and mail them to you... I pay $23 a month and thought that was too much..
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 06:40 PM
Oh my gosh, I would kill to pay $23! I can afford $30, nothing more.

I just wish there was a generic version...would be a heck of a lot more affordable.
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 06:42 PM
Edited by josy002 (144829) on 2010-11-24 18:45:13
It's SO expensive wow. My dad took me off his insurance and I had to pay 20$ and I thought that was a lot.

72$ is, yes expensive. Still a lot less than raising a child though.

I don't know how insurances work in the US, but maybe your husband could help you pay for half of it? It's still gonna be 36$, but it could help. After all, you're not having sex alone...

I know that if I were to get off bc because of a lack of money, my boyfriend would RUN to the nearest drugstore to buy it in bulk.
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 06:45 PM
We figure out our budget every month and it always ends up with about $30-40 for birth control. I have a second job but that's only about $75 extra every few weeks and that goes towards my gas in my car and school tuition.

Blahhhh.
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 06:46 PM
Can you go to Planned Parenthood and tell them you just don't have insurance?
By lux
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 06:48 PM
Edited by lux (197070) on 2010-11-24 18:59:54 Saw Odessa's reply
OK woah woah woah, deep breaths! This is a crappy situation, but it's managable!

The first point I have to make: I don't know if I'm reading you wrong, but you say you expected to pay $25. They are now $72, less $40 with health insurance, so that brings them down to $32. Is that $7 difference really, REALLY something that you can't cover if it's the only/easiest way of making sure you don't get pregnant, which will cost a heap more than $7/month? Ignore this if I'm totally off base!

Anyway, I'm not from the US so I have no idea how your healthcare system/medical insurance/rebates work, so unfortunately I'm not help there. But there are definitely cheaper forms of birth control!

Krystal wrote:

Health Dept Nurse offered me 70 condoms for all the frustrations I'm going through. Like condoms will fix everything.

OK so I know condoms aren't ideal, but at the end of the day they're certainly better than an unplanned pregnancy on a wage that can't cover contraception. I personally prefer to avoid hormonal birth control (the pill was awful for me, too), so I'm pretty much a condoms-only girl.

To add to what Odessa said below me, there seems to be this increasing stigma attached to condoms that's almost making them seem like an irresponsible choice- both my best friend and my freakin' doctor, of all people, gave me a huge serve on discovering that this is the only form of birth control I use. I realise that condoms don't provide a level of protection as high as some people would like (Scarleteen puts it at about 85% for typical use & 2% for perfect use), but there ARE ways to increase this effectiveness. See: www.scarleteen.com . . .

I think I've read elsewhere that your husband will be going away soon? Consider whatever method you're using now as a stopgap, and hopefully by the time he gets back, you'll be able to afford a more ideal form of b/c.
re: Can't afford bc and don't know what the heck to do. (karma: 1)
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 06:51 PM
Edited by Odessa (22571) on 2010-11-24 18:54:04
Krystal wrote:

Well, they won't solve the Israel-Palestine dispute, and they won't solve the fact that North Korea launched missiles at South Korea, but with perfect use condoms only have a 2% failure rate (according to Wikipedia).

I have used only condoms for the five years I have been with Mark and in that time have had only one pregnancy scare.

There's a lot of talk especially here on DDN about how you must ALWAYS DOUBLE UP YOUR BIRTH CONTROL but honestly I don't think it's absolutely necessary. Unless you're allergic to latex condoms there's really no reason why they can't be your primary birth control method.

Keep an eye on your cycles, work out when you're ovulating and avoid sex during those times and use condoms all other times.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 06:52 PM
I think I actually paid $25 at the pharmacy last time... I have 12 refills left, it's a shame that it wouldn't be very lawful to fill the script and send it off to you... I can't use the nuvaring anymore, and I'm getting an IUD (not mirena, can't handle the hormones).

I think I would keep fighting to get the IUD... in the end it's your discression.
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 07:00 PM
The first point I have to make: I don't know if I'm reading you wrong, but you say you expected to pay $25. They are now $72, less $40 with health insurance, so that brings them down to $32. Is that $7 difference really, REALLY something that you can't cover if it's the only/easiest way of making sure you don't get pregnant, which will cost a heap more than $7/month? Ignore this if I'm totally off base!

I guess I could have worded that differently. I'm sorry! Basically I meant without insurance it would be $110 or whatever the cost it, but since the insurance takes off $40 my price is $72.

I honestly never even thought about going to Planned Parenthood. Only downside of that is the closest one to me is also 30 mi away, but that would be worth it if they can help.

Lux, hubby is going to Marine bootcamp May 31st...maybe (hopefully...?) sooner. Once he graduates we'll get free healthcare and I'll get $10 prescriptions. So once we get to that point it will be no problem.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 07:00 PM
I actually really like condoms.... I'm also on BCP, but condoms give me soooo much peace of mind because it's pretty obvious if it worked or not. I guess I must be a visual thinker ;) But I would take her up on the condoms for the time being (they are expensive too...more expensive than the Pill for me)
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 07:03 PM
Forgot to mention we have condoms here (plenty) that were thrown in his car on our wedding day and they still have plenty of time before they expire, so if we have to resort to that we can...ugh. :P

LLD, I would totally take you up on that offer if it weren't so illegal!
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 07:05 PM
Why are prescription meds so $$$ in the US? Seriously?

Here very few insurance plans cover birth control.
By lux
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 07:09 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Krystal, that makes a lot more sense!

I honestly would just suck it up and manage with condoms (& some kind of cheap, non-hormonal option like spermicide if you want to be extra careful) for the 6 months before your hubby goes away. Yeah, it's not ideal, but I think it's probably the best chance you've got. Definitely give PP a crack for free nuva rings, but if that doesn't work out, I think it's probably your best option.

I know you said noone near you does implanon, but I will say- if I were in your position, and had only 6 months until hubby leaves, I WOULD NOT go with implanon. When my sister had hers put in, she had her period for something like 3 months straight.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 07:15 PM
Is there a sexual health clinic similar that could help you with finances for birth control for the next little while? Spermicides are surprisingly expensive...it's what I use (along with condoms) and it's more than a dollar per sheet. It comes to about 8 dollars or so for 6 sheets of spermicide.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 07:48 PM
With your insurance...do you just have a low level of prescription coverage or does the insurance company just not want to cover birth control? On my old plan prescriptions were covered really well...it was $5 for generic and $10 for name brand, I think. But BC wasn't covered...unless it was for a medical reason. Seeing as how I started on it due to ovarian cysts, while NOT sexually active, it was no issue for my doctor to write on the prescription that it was for medical purposes. Maybe something to check on? It definitely saved me when I otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford the BC.

Otherwise, I'd go with the Planned Parenthood thing...I resorted to that once in the past through desperation. I felt bad fibbing about my income level but you do what you gotta do, eh?
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 07:57 PM
I really don't know what the deal is with our insurance, to be honest. It's something my husband is offered through work and I guess it's just not all that great. Copays are $30 no matter what and it takes a certain percentage off of prescriptions no matter what they are.

So does Planned Parenthood actually give free bc or will I have to pay something for it? Doesn't matter to me, really. I'll pay if it's cheap.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 09:06 PM
I had the same problem and went to PP.

They work on a sliding scale, so it won't be free, but it will be much more reasonable. DO NOT tell them that they have insurance, or they will expect you to pay the $72. Repeat, do not tell them that you have insurance!!! or else you're screwed. They also don't check how much you make, so lie as much as you feel comfortable with. I believe they're around $30 or so - I told them I make a bit above minimum wage part-time in retail etc. etc. It will be much much more affordable there though.

By the way, ask around for an IUD too. PP will probably be more receptive to giving you one, or try going to a bunch of different ob-gyns. It really depends on who you're talking to and their personal feelings about it. My PP only carries the copper one which I don't really want. But I'd imagine it'd be worth paying up front for 5 years of birth control!!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 09:08 PM
So does Planned Parenthood actually give free bc or will I have to pay something for it? Doesn't matter to me, really. I'll pay if it's cheap.

You'll pay something.

The honest trick with planned parenthood is to give them as little information as possible. It's unfortunate, but that's the truth - I made the mistake of telling them I lived with Jim, so they charged me for services based on his income, instead of mine. I ended up at PP to try to save money, and it ended up costing me exactly the same as going to the doctor. :/

Alot of doctors won't perscribe mirena, because it's considered to be more like a sterilization than a birth control method, so they want someone that's had a kid, because you're somehow reasonably more qualified to make that decision.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 09:21 PM
Alot of doctors won't perscribe mirena, because it's considered to be more like a sterilization than a birth control method, so they want someone that's had a kid, because you're somehow reasonably more qualified to make that decision.

Also because your cervix will be a bit more open / easier to open. Or else it hurts a lot. (And there's the very remote possibility of your uterus rejecting the IUD.) I told my doctor, "I don't care how much it hurts." "It hurts a lot." "I DON'T CARE." Doctors are really weird about it. PP would've shoved one right on in, though.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 09:32 PM
Have you considered a cervical cap? It's supposed to be really effective if used correctly and it's cheap.

www.femcap.com
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:26 PM
Does anyone use diaphragms anymore?
By lux
On Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:34 PM
^^ I would love to give them a shot (yup, the anti-condom propoganda does get to me sometimes!), but I don't know anyone who does, and wouldn't know where to start with getting one!
By LoriCook
On Thu Nov 25, 2010 03:29 AM
Or there is always Elaine's method (Seinfeld). The Today Sponge. About $14 for three of them at Rite Aide. This could be economical depending upon how often you have sex. They last for 24 hours each. And no hormones floating through your body!
The rhythm method is free and if your periods are regular can be quite effective. As effective as a condom or diaphragm in fact.
re: Can't afford bc and don't know what the heck to do. (karma: 1)
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 25, 2010 05:11 AM
Use condoms and learn to chart. I hear that the book "taking charge of your fertility" is awesome. How long until you and BJ have kids? If you want to wait at least two or three years, get the copper iud once your military insurance kicks in. Yes, it hurts to get in and it takes six months or so for your period to lighten up again, but tricare totally covers it if you get it from an on base hospital and you pay like ten or twelve bucks for a co-pay if you go off base.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch