Forum: General / Administrative

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Administrative
s2010 banned
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Sun Nov 28, 2010 06:28 PM

s2010 has been banned for abuse of the for sale boards. A number of costumes have been acquired and not returned, nor paid for.

The administrative team cannot express how important it is to get payment prior to sending out a costume. As long as costumes are sent out without these preventative measures, members will continue to be swindled.

Helen and the Mod Squad.

35 Replies to s2010 banned

re: s2010 banned
By HelenMJones Comments: 63, member since Wed Dec 16, 2009
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 06:48 AM
Yes she ordered doubles costumes from me and will not purchase or return, am currently seeking legal advice as I have proof of delivery and e-mail correspondence to confirm she received the costumes.

Gutted as the costumes are doubles costumes and worth over £200 but its not over yet, have sent information to my solicitor.
re: s2010 banned (karma: 1)
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 07:55 AM
Edited by Brittany (36942) on 2010-11-29 07:56:09
Deja Vu, didn't this happen with another member awhile back?

So why do people keep freely sending these expensive costumes out to people they don't know?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:26 AM
Brittany wrote:

Deja Vu, didn't this happen with another member awhile back?

So why do people keep freely sending these expensive costumes out to people they don't know?

Oh, it's happened several times over. And we keep wondering the same thing, to be really honest.

I worked out the exchange rate once, and at one point anyway, costumes for the older dancers were averaging out at between $500 and $700 each. Of course, there's been tremendous changes to the economy in the meantime, but that lets you know the sort of money you're playing with here. I can only speak for myself, but I'm not mailing off $500 dollars of my hard earned money without something to show for it - I can't imagine just giving someone that out of the goodness of my heart. I'm a good person, but I've got to eat, you know?
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:38 AM

My best guess is that it is normal and common practice there. This is another country being referred to and there are likely to be cultural differences. Other than that, I don't have a clue.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:42 AM
^ I've been thinking that it's a dance-community thing: that the dance community is smaller, and the nation is smaller, so there's more implied trust. And the implied trust is what is being taken advantage of.

No matter what the reason, I think this can be a "I'll know better next time" experience.
By DefyingGravityPremium member Comments: 5265, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 AM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-11-29 10:48:35 You said "whales" instead of "Wales", although I don't think Irish dancers in whales would send out costumes without getting payment for them either.
tumblebug wrote:

My best guess is that it is normal and common practice there. This is another country being referred to and there are likely to be cultural differences. Other than that, I don't have a clue.
Irish dancers in England/Scotland/Ireland/N. Ireland/Wales would never dream of sending a costume out without payment. That's sheer insanity. It may be a disco culture thing, but it's certainly not a country culture thing.
By elaina16member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 901, member since Mon Aug 14, 2006
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:49 AM
DefyingGravity wrote:

tumblebug wrote:

Irish dancers in England/Scotland/Ireland/N. Ireland/Wales would never dream of sending a costume out without payment. That's sheer insanity. It may be a disco culture thing, but it's certainly not a country culture thing.

Agree, I think it is a disco culture thing. No way a highland outfit would be sent out without payment.
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:52 AM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-11-29 10:48:35 You said "whales" instead of "Wales", although I don't think Irish dancers in whales would send out costumes without getting payment for them either.

I want to karma this. Just so you know.
By Lauretta Comments: 1048, member since Wed Dec 01, 2004
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:53 AM
Edited by Lauretta (114873) on 2010-11-29 10:54:39
I'll agree with DefyingGravity in that it's not related to the culture of the UK. The disco community seems to be quite close knit and there seems to be the implicit assumption that if you're in the community that you are trustworthy which is completely ridiculous in my opinion, and I've never seen this repeated elsewhere.

As long as the mods publicise their support for getting deposits then I don't think anyone can complain (about any liability on DDN or the mods) to be honest.
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:58 AM
Whether it is the culture of a country itself or the style of dance involved, I would say I'm right on the money (no pun intended) with it being culture related.
By DefyingGravityPremium member Comments: 5265, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:04 AM
AlwaysOnStage wrote:

I want to karma this. Just so you know.
I DO TOO! I busted up laughing when I read the Mod Action Report PM. I guess I was having a brain fart :]
By Helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6305, member since Tue Dec 03, 2002
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:17 AM
If I still danced I would never dream of sending a costume out for a fitting without at least part payment.

You wouldn't catch me sending something that pricey to someone without even getting a deposit.

However I guess I am not as trusting as some of the other in the disco community.

Helen
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:20 AM
I totally loved "Irish dancing in Whales". :) It's IDing of biblical proportions!

As to the topic at hand--please, for the love of all that is holy, get full payment upfront before you send out the costume, or at least a deposit that will cover a significant amount of the purchase price (because at least then, it'll take some of the sting out of losing the cozzie). Bad people will continue to take advantage of the trusting disco community until you take steps to protect yourself. You would never, EVER expect to send away anything else before getting payment for it. Why is this any different?

Dani

Comment #9351777 deleted
Removed by Chaconne (182529) on 2010-11-29 15:55:41 No Text Posting

By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 03:54 PM
Lauretta wrote:

As long as the mods publicise their support for getting deposits then I don't think anyone can complain (about any liability on DDN or the mods) to be honest.

Lest you think there is ANY liability on the part of DDN or the Moderators, I would invite you to read the Terms of Service on the bottom of every DDN page. By participating in DDN you have agreed to the Terms of Service which includes no liability on the part of DDN or its personnel for what is posted here.

I would not have agreed to be a moderator if wording to that effect were not included.

Jon
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 03:58 PM
^ ? I think she's saying that they can't even complain about it. I don't think anyone would think that anyone here is actually responsible.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 04:12 PM
^Yeah, but Jon's saying that people can't blame the mods or DDN even if they don't publicize their support for getting deposits (I think).
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 04:19 PM
Edited by AlwaysOnStage (90901) on 2010-11-29 16:32:30 pronoun fix.
Naturally. I'll rephrase my thought, and how I interpreted Lauretta's post: they were warned (by the mods, through the stickies), and thus have to keep their traps shut. It's not about who is liable for the lost (stolen) goods, but that they were warned and they don't get sympathy here.

If there were no warnings (by the mods, through the stickies) the mods would STILL not be liable, but there would be a bunch of posts to that effect because the 'victims' would feel cheated and would complain that there was no warning.

Does that make more sense?
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 04:26 PM
Ahhh, you're saying they can't complain at all here because of the mod warnings. Gotcha.
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 04:35 PM
^ Yes, exactly. I'm glad I made sense, finally! Totally my fault for the confusion, though. I forget that people can't finish my thoughts for me.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 05:01 PM
DDN, among other things, is a site for the exchange of information among people in the dancing community. Talking and warning people about an apparent scam is certainly a legitimate use of DDN provided the information is based upon fact. The Terms of Service, however point out that DDN cannot be held liable for what its members post. That is a condition you agree to when you sign onto DDN. It would be impossible to maintain a site such as DDN if every and any posting here could invoke a liability upon DDN. We, of course, exercise some reasonable caution by having a panel of moderators to keep discourse civil.
If you don't think that isn't important, try participation on some unmoderated boards. I used to participate in a classical music discussion on the Newsgroups...entirely unmoderated. Every Looney Tune came onto that board and would say almost anything that came to their minds with nearly hourly attacks upon one another in the most vile terms. Another group I once participated in, on the subject of violins and violin playing went along nicely for years until a toxic personality appeared on it, posting irrelevancies, attacking all sorts of members, once even faking her own death, until finally all the productive members left and the last time I checked, was ranting all by herself. I'm FB friends with most of the constructive personalities from that group.

Jon
By Lauretta Comments: 1048, member since Wed Dec 01, 2004
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 05:01 PM
Edited by Lauretta (114873) on 2010-11-29 17:55:35 trying to add further clarity to my point
Edited by Lauretta (114873) on 2010-11-29 17:57:13
Chaconne I was never trying to imply that any liability falls onto DDN for missing costumes, I hope I have more intelligence than that. Alwaysonstage is correct in her interpretation of my post, I was merely saying that while people are within their rights to post about stolen costumes, they can't try to put any blame onto the mods. Because the message has been put out quite widely that it's not a good idea to send something out without payment they cannot even try to do so, even though such an action would never be successful regardless of whether or not warnings are issued. Unfortunately I think it is possible that someone might attempt to put some blame onto the mods, hence that part of my post.
By Helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6305, member since Tue Dec 03, 2002
On Tue Nov 30, 2010 08:37 AM
Please see this post

www.dance.net . . .

A dance teacher based in the area is trying to help everyone the best he can.

Helen
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Tue Nov 30, 2010 08:46 AM
New info will be posted here:

www.dance.net . . .

Dani
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch