Forum: Irish / Irish - MAIDs

As a tear slips down my cheek........
By Rincemom2member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:28 AM

DS and I leave for the SRO on Sat, I just finished packing and making my list for the last minute items we will need, when it hit me and I felt the tears start to fall :(
DD has retired so this is the first Oirachtas with out her and his last. So many emotions and so very many GREAT memories and it all went by to fast! Never in my wildest dreams did I think that Irish dancing would make such an impact on our families’ lives.
I know that it will take many more years to stop thinking.. "Oh, SRO is right around the corner" or "I wonder where NAN's is this year" or "What new thing is ZandB writing about now!" :)
But today, I'm just a little sad and I knew all of you DAIDS and MAIDS would understand!
Once again really thankful for a place like Dance.Net,
xoEg

16 Replies to As a tear slips down my cheek........

re: As a tear slips down my cheek....
By dancemomtoo
On Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:33 PM
I totally understand-I am dreading next year (probably dd's last)and treasuring every second we have left.
By Rincemom2member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 02, 2010 01:48 PM
yep....that is all we can do :)

Comment #9355928 deleted
Removed by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-12-02 14:52:21 not a parent

By irishmamamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 02, 2010 04:01 PM
I am really certain that many tears will fall in three years or so when I reach that milestone. I plan to remain involved in some way-working on the North Coast Feis, continuing to help out with the booster club, etc. Don't think I can give it all up for a very long time.
Good luck to your ds this year. Take care of you and have fun!!!
re: As a tear slips down my cheek.... (karma: 4)
By ZandBPremium member
On Thu Dec 02, 2010 04:20 PM
My daughter has retired from from competitive Irish dance... but still does pub/club dancing with local musicians...

Here are some of my memories...

- Those first halting steps in dance class when she smiled and her eyes sparkled “look at me, look at me!”

- Watching her savor the scent of her first pair of hard shoes and the almost pious manner in which she laced them up.

- Painfully enduring the first time she danced in them.

- The smiles, giggles and pattering chats she would have with all her friends while “lacing up” before dance class.

- The magic of the first Feis.

- The ice cream cone I bought to console her for not placing.

- The squeals of delight when, after looking back and forth between the results board and her number card for the third time she was finally convinced that was really her number in third place!

- Her sleeping exhausted in the back seat of the car on the way home while still managing to grasp the trophy.

- The wonder and pleasure in her face the first time she spun around in front of the mirror in that totally intoxicating brand new dance school dress!

- Watching her on stage at her first-dance out in front of a crowd of at least twenty people.

- Seeing the shock on her face as she walked out on stage in front of thousands of people as the pre-fireworks entertainment on Independence Day.

- Bragging about it all next week to everyone you met at work.

- Listening in bemused interest as she described the “Conor Beck shrine she created in her middle school locker...

- Trying to pry her away from the vendor tables at a Feis and then buying that “perfect brooch” anyway.

- The startled look of surprise on her face when her number was announced as recalling at her First Oireachtas.

- The warmth, humor, and absurdity of the conversations among the parking lot parents at dance practice.

- All of them danced, sung, laughed, celebrated, played and shared with my daughter!

It’s an incredible, unexplainable magic, and it swims and sparkles!

Comment #9356062 deleted
Removed by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-12-03 08:00:10 not a parent

Comment #9356063 deleted
Removed by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-12-03 08:00:20 double post

re: As a tear slips down my cheek.... (karma: 1)
By Neilsmum
On Sat Dec 04, 2010 07:55 AM
Oh dear, that's waiting for me too. My son is fourteen and I hope we have another few dancing years ahead of us. But I have my little stall and I trust that it will do well enough to give me an excuse to keep feising for many years to come! Good luck, mums...
re: As a tear slips down my cheek.... (karma: 2)
By GraciesMAID
On Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:27 PM
I wrote this poem earlier this year. I was just thinking about how much DD and I get to spend together and the words tumbled out.
This is to all the mothers of dancing daughters

Why we do it.

Through all the glory, and in all the pain…
And Through the tears that stream like rain
To the glowing faces that see the firsts
And the flushed cheeks as they scream their outbursts.

This is why we do it.

During jigs that are more trouble than treble
And reels that make your heart do a double
For careful placings of numbers on dresses
And the tender arranging of the curly tresses
To sock glue, and pins, and earrings and bling
And the never-ending accordion ring

This is why we do it.

Remember the faltering First Feis steps
Remember the tiny beginner dress
Remember the silly, crooked grin
Remember the laugh and then the first win
Through it all remember-- and sigh:
Remember the girl you love, and why.
Good luck at O!
By irishmamamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 10, 2010 04:54 AM
Love your poem~ all the memories are so great to be making.
By ladydancermom
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 03:35 PM
I understand totally. My daughter "retired" this past summer after a bone break. It was so much harder than I thought it would be. Facebook has kept her in touch with her friends, but sometimes I think that has only made the transition harder. We are putting her dress up for sale, but sometimes secretly, I hope it doesn't sell so we have that memory in something we can hold. The cash would be nice now though too. Bittersweet. ID is such a wonderful community. Cheers to new things awaiting!
By Wookie10
On Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:52 AM
You think its hard being a MAID, think of how the teachers feel! Some of my students I have known since they were 4 years old and they are going off to college in the fall! I loved watching them grow up, watching the ahha! moments as they flew by. I feel like a big sister to them all. These girls were around when I first opened up and we didn't have costumes, or heat in the building and they huddled around space heaters and I eventually let them dance around them to keep their feet unfrozen. They made me laugh so hard I nearly cried dozens of times with thier antics and the first former student that I had go to a big competition, they dumped a box full of poodle socks over my head! Take solace, mothers and fathers, in the fact that thier teachers will miss seeing them as much as you miss them dancing. :D
By Heather1173
On Wed Feb 09, 2011 08:16 AM
I love the poem. Thank you for sharing. I think it is a great idea to stay involved in a feis, or a booster or a parent club. Volunteers are always welcomed and needed.
By Hooliegan
On Wed Feb 23, 2011 06:15 AM
This past September my eldest quit competitive dancing- 2nd year pre-med plus all of her other activities weren't allowing her the practice or budget to continue. Also, my youngest and I (and my shiny new husband) moved to Portugal where there are no An Com schools, and also her Osgood-Schlatters is still preventing her from the practicing a competitive dancer would need to commit to. So I can definitely relate to the nostalgia factor in this thread!

However, yesterday as my youngest and I, my husband and his visiting parents were in the metro on our way to dinner. Three musicians got on- accordion, tambourine, saxophone, and started playing a lively tune (Portuguese) in 4/4 time. I looked over at my daughter and raised an eyebrow. She passed me her purse and jacket, and then started beating out a treble reel and bounding up and down the aisle of the subway car, much to the delight of the other passengers and the musicians.

They may stop competing, but they never stop dancing, especially in our hearts.
By mini2z
On Wed Feb 23, 2011 09:11 AM
This is my DS's last year, he's in grade 11. This will be his first and possibly last trip to nationals. Although, if he recalls we will go to worlds next year. 2011 will be some milestone years for him. DD has several years left but it'll be strange when he goes off to college....
By Mimi13
On Mon Mar 14, 2011 07:49 PM
My daughter is a freshman in college and fortunately we found a way so that she could continue dancing. I am so happy for her but it still changes for those MAIDS/DAIDS who now watch from a distance.
It has been a huge part of our lives too... traveling with our families and making long time friends. I feel truly blessed to be part of something so special.

Loved the poem and special moments listed! Enjoy each moment!

ReplySendWatch