Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys PG-13

I can't shave my legs, help me not be icked out :/
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 10, 2010 09:49 PM

I've been on accutane for two months now, and have four months left. It's working amazingly, and thankfully I'm doing pretty well with side effects. The only issue I have is skin dryness, to the point it flakes and just pinching the skin will make it crack and bleed. I was in my cousin's wedding two weeks ago and shaved my legs that day, and by the next morning my legs were a mess...peeling, bloody, nasty, dry patches and SO ITCHY I almost lost my mind. I haven't shaved since and I'm using good quality hemp body wash, so the cuts and dryness are healing a little but won't be "normal" until one month off the medicine. To me, it's obviously not worth the short term pain to have one day of pretty legs, and the idea of long-term scarring obviously doesn't appeal.

I must say though, it's seriously icking me out. I know that nobody is seeing my legs, since it's winter. Ironically, I usually only shave once or twice a month in the winter and am fine, but it's just grossing me out so much and I know I need to get over it. Waxing is out too :( Thankfully I can pluck my eyebrows without much hassle, and just trimming up the nether regions short is fine with me. Thanks to my deodorant being moisturizing, my pits are fine being shaved every other day. This leg thing is just FLIPPING me out.

I really don't know what on earth the point of posting this is, but perhaps a lady (or leg-shaving gent) can internet smack me and tell me this isn't a big deal at all.

17 Replies to I can't shave my legs, help me not be icked out :/

re: I can't shave my legs, help me not be icked out :/
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:01 PM
Can you use hair removal cream? It pretty much has the same effect, however, will probably cause you less pain and whatnot.
On Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:05 PM
Unfortunately not, I'm allergic to it :(
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:17 PM
Is there a moisturizer that you could use for your legs that wouldn't irritate the skin? Maybe one with aloe or shea butter? Or one for dry or sensitive skin? :-/
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:21 PM
Epilator? It's more so like waxing as it takes the hair from the root, maybe that could work?
By Sumayah
On Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:53 PM
It's not a big deal. The worst is the prickly phase and that's when you'll want to break your razor out, but once it goes soft it's sort of, well there. I typically shave once a week when it gets prickly, but I've gone two weeks before and once it gets to that soft phase it's not so annoying. Can you take vitamin E? Or use that lotion or oil they make for stretch marks? It might have the extra moisture your skin needs. Also if you do attempt to shave again, I'd get a good quality oil to shave with, not a foam or soap. That way as you're running the blade over your skin, you're keep it oil on it instead of ripping out the moisture with that top layer of dermis. Can you exfoliate at all? If so, make your own sugar scrub. Get a jar and put white sugar in it and add the oil of your choice and rub that over your legs - the sugar exfoliates but the oil helps to sooth. Then lotion afterwards. You probably already drink a ton of water, but drinking more water can't hurt!
On Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:58 PM
Thanks for the tips ladies :)

Unfortunately, Accutane works by shrinking your oil glands, so moisturizing helps temporarily but it's not the same as normal dry skin because it dries your whole body out...most patients can't even wear contacts because their eyes dry out so easily. The risk of any form of skin treatment or hair removal is scarring, since your skin is so much more sensitive. For example, a few weeks into my treatment, I used one of those sticky pore strips and it took the skin off my nose as well. Yuck. Epilating, waxing, exfoliating...anything other than basic soap/water/lotion is out. I knew this getting into it, but I never even considered that my legs would get so dry. Thank the HEAVENS it is winter.
By Dancing_B
On Sat Dec 11, 2010 01:10 AM
I don't know if it will help at all... but can you try shaving using hair conditioner instead? I use conditioner to shave my legs with instead of soap or shave gel in order to extend the life of my fake tan (a tip my beautician gave me). As it prevents removing the top layer of skin and hence ruining my tan, perhaps it would allow the razor to slip over your legs a little easier and not cause so much damage?

Failing that, I leave mine hairy for weeks in the winter! Like Sumayah said, after the prickly phase, it gets better and then it doesn't bother me at all! Think of it as extra warmth!!! I suppose though it's more the fact that you can't shave them which makes you want to do it all that much more?
By Fayetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 11, 2010 06:12 AM
Put oil on your skin. I'm suffering from Neudermatitis, which causes dry, dry, dry, cracking and bleeding skin, too. Get a good body oil, preferably organic (try Whole Foods for a nice selecetion) and put it on every time you shower or take a bath. Try to find something without colour, as it can discolour clothing and everything else. I use it in winter, and it helps a ton.

For the shaving issue, well.. I don't think there's much to be done about this. If the feel of clothing against your leg hair irritates you, maybe try wearing some tights underneath your jeans? Gives some extra warmth, too! ;)

Hope your skin will be all right again as soon as you're off your medication.. I know how it is to have skin like this, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 11, 2010 07:23 AM
I'm SUPER lazy about shaving my legs in winter. Most of the time I just forget because I see my legs so rarely. Maybe if you just keep your legs covered at all times, you won't notice it so much.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 11, 2010 08:18 AM
^ What Angelea said. Although here in a week or so I'll be in Florida and If the weather is nice I'll probably shave so I can wear shorts.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:58 AM
Ahaha - it's like not being able to leave the house when you don't have a car. Even if you have nowhere to go, the idea that you CAN'T go anywhere is maddening! :O

Am I reading right that the problem is in your legs being dry and hairy, or is your beef with the hair?
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 11, 2010 01:35 PM
What about putting baby oil on your legs when you're at the end of your shower? Then follow it up with putting lotion on your legs. It makes my skin really moisturized, so maybe it'll last longer than lotion alone for you?
On Sat Dec 11, 2010 02:33 PM
It's definitely the fact that I CAN'T shave that is driving me nuts. Like I said, most winters I shave maybe once a month...when the air is so dry and nobody sees your legs, no reason to shave, right? It's just now that I expressly CAN'T that I'm going nuts and want to.

I'm heading to Whole Food later to get some oil...is there any specific kind I should get? I know they make different vitamin oils. Also, it's the feeling of hair up against jeans that icks me out, so I'll definitely try tights or leggings on underneath them. Leggings, sweatpants or tights on their own don't bother me. I'm also counting on it getting better once the hair is past the prickly stage...how long does it take?
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 11, 2010 03:47 PM
^About three weeks for me. It's pretty much all the way grown out at about four or five weeks, and at that point, it starts to get so soft that I can barely feel it unless I rub it against the grain. I'm quickly approaching that stage right now, actually. :) I never used to let my legs go in the winter because I was laboring under the delusion that Mark actually cared, but a couple of years ago I started letting it go longer and longer, and he never noticed until I pointed it out. So no more winter shaving for me!
By seacaptain
On Sat Dec 11, 2010 09:33 PM
For lotions i mix a dab of eucerin aquaphor with Lubriderm for dry skin - it works nicely without being super greasy. The aquaphor works really great by itself but it is greasy.
By alwaysonmytoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 11, 2010 09:46 PM
I shave using baby oil on a regular basis...it's HEAVENLY. I recommend it for everyone, at all times. I like to get baby oil that has aloe and vitamin E in it because it makes my legs even softer. I'm sure other skin oils would work too, so that's a great step to take! Good luck. :)
By Katemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:57 AM
I was on accutane a few years back, so I sympathise loads. It sounds like your skin has dried out a little worse than I did, can you maybe see your dermatologist and lower the dose? At first I was really sore, so I ended up going down a dosage, and just doing a couple of extra months. It's been a while, so I can't remember the exact dosage though.

I found that using a baby wash really helped - I don't know if you have Johnson's Baby where you are, but we have a baby wash with baby oil in it in Europe - it comes in a white and yellow bottle and using that in my showers really helped add a bit of moisture. I wouldn't recommend you use it to shave with, but it helps with the dryness.

As to shaving, it WILL get better as the hair grows. Definitely don't use hair removal cream - I wasn't allergic pre accutane and now am, and if your skin is dry, can you say OUUUCH!

Hope you feel better soon. This website is one you probably know of, but I really liked it when I was on accutane - helps you not feel so alone with it!
reclaimyourskin.co.uk

ReplySendWatch