Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Restarting and want to practice at home
By travelfan
On Sat Dec 11, 2010 07:49 PM
Edited by travelfan (228749) on 2010-12-11 19:49:44

Hey guys, I'm 23 and just getting back into dance after a 5.5 year hiatus. I danced up until college, and stopped after peer pressure to get into the fraternity I wanted. It was an incredibly immature and un-fulfilling choice, but I am so stoked to get back into it, no matter what the social stigma is or how much my technique has regressed.

I was mainly a competitive jazz dancer who took ballet casually on the side (let's be real, I went to one of those studios that had us churning out jazz classes to win trophies but with little ballet technique) but I'm really more interested in ballet at this point in my life. Luckily I am in a suburb of SF so I can take a couple weekly classes at Alonzo King LINES Center (I'm planning on trying out both basic and beginner and seeing which is a better fit).

I'm looking for some good exercises to do at home too though, mainly to regain a sense of a) flexibility, b) balance and c) strength. Anybody have some good exercises? Not looking for class replacements by any means, but rather supplements.

5 Replies to Restarting and want to practice at home

re: Restarting and want to practice at home
By balletboyrhysmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Dec 15, 2010 01:48 PM
way to go! its nice that youre doing something that you want to do regardless of how you feel it will be perceived by other.

i would suggest working on your splits, basic stretching like that, for flexibility. obviously stretching is the only way to get more flexible!

for strength and balance i would do a lot of crunches. having s strong center will help you balance and infuse your movement with more energy while maintaining good allignment.

also do tons of releves and tendus. strong feet will help loads. make sure to really roll through your feet on your tendus. i would say to do a lot of developes too but if you havent been in class for a while and might not have received the best training in the first place, you might just bulk up your quads if youre using the wrong muscles.

hope this helped!
By travelfan
On Wed Dec 15, 2010 05:19 PM
Helped a ton, thanks! I have been doing an awesome abs routine with a medicine ball lately, so hopefully my core will strengthen up. Flexibility is going OK, I've been stretching twice a day. I realize it will take some time to regain my flexibility. It's funny though, my left (traditionally my strong side) has made huge improvement in just a week while my right is barely budging. Oh well.
By luv2plie
On Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:45 PM
Yes....Go For it. Ballet is Awesome ! Let us know how ballet is going once you restart!

Kev
By jocknballettight
On Sat Dec 18, 2010 07:36 AM
WAY to GO !!! yeah I bulit a small ballet barre here in my basement about 8 feet long with a few mirrors around me to watch my form and lines...not much travel room as you can imagine but good for postion basics tendus battemounts etc..
By pondflyPremium member
On Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:25 AM
Good luck, I've been working in the house for about a year and now my GF and I have been building a moderately sized multipurpose room and studio in the basement for us to practice.
I've been doing lots of stretching and trying to finesse the combinations from class during the week. However I have not been in class for about 3 months nor practiced while I've been waiting for my surgery.

ReplySendWatch