Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Very random, but rudolph-izing your car?
By boleyngrrl
On Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:02 PM
Edited by boleyngrrl (156471) on 2010-12-11 22:03:28

Hi!

Does anyone know where to get the nose, antlers, and/or tail for cars? I really would like to decorate my car for xmas, but Mom says no tinsel on my roll bars. :D Also, do they stay on well? How do they hold up in the snow? Is there a particular brand that works best?

Thanks!!

~boleyngrrl~

18 Replies to Very random, but rudolph-izing your car?

re: Very random, but rudolph-izing your car?
By pondflyPremium member
On Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:24 PM
Don't know about the Rudolph kits, but I've done the wreath on the grille and wired 12v lights to the ignition.

I've done it to the ambulance (then again I also had a disco ball in the back as well), fire engine and finally my squad car.
By LoriCook
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 04:12 AM
Any time you are creating a situation in which other drivers are distracted it isn't good. I can see decorating a car you are leaving at home but driving around in something like that seems like a bad idea. There's probably a law against it somewhere!
By irish_mom
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 04:25 AM
If you want to drive a reindeer, Amazon.com has the kit -

www.amazon.com . . .

Happy holidays!
By Tansey
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 07:03 AM
The Rudolph kits have been around for years in New England. We are used to them and I don't think anybody finds them distracting. I think they're cute! I don't know where you're located, boleyngrrl, but in recent years I've seen them in stores we have around here such as the Christmas Tree Shop and Ocean State Job Lot. Have fun!
By boleyngrrl
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 08:33 AM
Thanks everyone! (pondfly how did you get a disco ball in the back of the ambulance... and was it a functioning ambulance??? :D) The amazon link was really good, and Tansey, your suggestions actually inspired me to check a store near me that I totally forgot about until you mentioned those two. If I do decorate it (if/when I get the kit) I'll post pictures. Thanks guys!!
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 09:11 AM
I saw one of those Rudolph kits on a huuuu ge pickup truck yesterday. Kind of dwarfed it. The antlers looked like they were about an inch long. One size, apparently, does not fit all.
By kandykanePremium member
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 09:37 AM
I find decorated cars to be very tacky, unless it's for a parade. I don't even like bumper stickers, but that's just me.

I've seen the kits at a Dollar General. Don't know if you have those in your area.

kk~
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:07 AM
There's probably a law against it somewhere!

There should be a law against subjecting poor cars to such a thing, haha.
By shannon13
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:30 AM
I saw them in some of the craft stores near me. Don't know what you have near you but try Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and those kids of places.
By pondflyPremium member
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:46 AM
It was many years ago and I drove a 1977 box ambulance with a working 8 track player, so we got a small (4") disco ball, hung it from the grab bar, strung some lights in the back and made it like a "club".
It wasn't on all the time, but it brought a little relief to anxious persons in the back.

As for the items being illegal, they are not unless your view is obstructed or presents a hazard to others (unsecured items that may fly).
By tumblebugPremium member
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 06:55 PM
Actually in my state, it IS illegal. I received a ticket for xmas lights on my car and paid a hefty fine.
By boleyngrrl
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 07:25 PM
^^That's not a very jolly reaction to lights. That sucks. And I've seen others in my state/area, so I'm pretty sure they're not illegal here. I like the idea of just putting a few jolly items on my car- I find it much more appealing then say, dressing up a cat or dog in a costume. Anyway, haven't found any in stores near me yet, but I'll try the craft stores tomorrow- that's a really good suggestion (assuming I'm not snowed in). Thanks again everyone!
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 08:19 PM
Edited by josy002 (144829) on 2010-12-12 20:20:19
I'm sure Harry would know about customizing a car like that.
By shannon13
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 09:22 PM
party city also has them
By pondflyPremium member
On Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:15 AM
tumblebug wrote:

Actually in my state, it IS illegal. I received a ticket for xmas lights on my car and paid a hefty fine.

Colored lights other than amber or green to the front of a vehicle may invite a visit from a crabby officer. Other than that the use of amber or white colors to the front are legal. Mounting antlers or a wreath will not invite a citation unless the conditions I listed above.
By BananasInPyjamasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:23 AM
Image hotlink - 'http://vancouverisawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/rudolph-bus.jpg'

The noses only glow at night, though.
By PomPonGirl
On Thu Dec 23, 2010 01:23 PM
As a side story...

I saw one of these cars in my hometown over Thanksgiving break and thought it was SO creative. When I went back to college, I saw a vehicle with the same decoration and assumed it was the same car! I was so excited, told my roommate and he too found it thrilling. A few days later, I saw the car again and was thrilled. I told my mom about this when I came home for Christmas break. Apparently I'm an idiot.
By teacup_tempest
On Thu Dec 23, 2010 05:24 PM
I rudolph-ed my car this year. I got the antlers and nose at home hardware for $8 (cdn). The antlers have a little clip that fits over the windows. My car is a little older (1998) so it has a whistle when I get going over 65km/hr. The nose is held on by twist ties around the post in th grill. Other than the whistle, I've had no problem with them in the last month. It has made my car easier to find in parking lots...

ReplySendWatch