Forum: Irish / Irish - For Sale / Dresses & Costumes

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Irish For Sale - Dresses & Costumes
New Rules for Posting on DDN "For Sale" Forums
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Dec 15, 2010 09:53 PM
Made sticky by Chaconne (182529) on 2010-12-15 21:55:31
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2010-12-15 21:56:45 Removed Phrase relevant only to another forum.
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2010-12-15 22:14:51
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2010-12-15 22:18:17 Spelling and word tweak
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2010-12-16 13:16:27
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2010-12-16 13:29:11 Tweaked to make it more ID friendly

We have revised the criteria for posting "For Sale" items on DDN. We have done this, in part, to eliminate confusion, to minimize misunderstandings about sizing of items so as to reduce the number of returned dancing outfits. We have specified the required measurements and posters are required to have accurate measurement. It is not sufficient to say a dress will fit a ten year old, or someone in a specific dance age category. We will remove postings not meeting these criteria. The measurement specified are all inclusive but not neccessarily universal. For example, some dance modes use leotard based costumes. Irish dancers normally do not, nor do highland dancers, but measurement unique to your form of dance must be included. When you post, please think of your customer. Would you have enough information from your posting that you would be comfortable making an offer on the item if you were the purchaser rather than the seller. We have added a requirement for at a minimum, an asking price. While negotiations are alway possible, merely saying "Make an offer" will not be acceptable. This is to save time. Dance outfits can run from US $50 or equivalent to well over $2000. It is a waste of everyone's time if someone offers $100 and your expectations are more like $1000.

Thanks to DDN Moderator Hummingbird, who has made costumes herself for formulating these rules and editing existing rules.

Jon

The reason for these changes is to help with the issues people seem to be having with fittings, costumes come back with bit's missing or broken, postage not paid or just not returned at all. These new rules will assist with that.

It is always advised that a deposit is obtained before you post any costume off for a fitting.

The following details are mandatory on each For Sale THREAD:

1. Photo of the costume
2. Size of the costume,measurements are required At the bottom of this thread is a measurments guide
3. Price (and if negotiable)
4. Accessory list (if any)
5. Age of the costume (if known)
6. Name of costume manufacturer
The following details are not mandatory, but highly advisable.
7. Costume materials and whether it is stoned or not
8. Details on whether the costume will be sent out, or which competitions it will be taken to

One thread per item for sale please.

Showing multiple photos of the same item in the same thread is easily done using a free image host like photobucket.com or imageshack. Multiple threads for the same item (either intentionally done to get more attention, to “bump” it back onto the first page, or to show more views of the product) will be deleted.
If a costume falls off the 10th page - and ONLY then - may you re-submit it in its entirely - that means ALL the required information.

Multiple items are not permitted in the one thread. This includes listings for custom-made items. One thread, one sale.

Posting an advert here for free is only permitted for second-hand items being sold by individuals who are not in the costume-related industry or any other industry directly related to the item’s manufacture.

The only exception to this rule is if you are selling second-hand merchandise whose manufacture and sale has nothing to do with your company.

Business owners MUST pay to sell their merchandise, even if the product being sold is second-hand, and even if it doesn’t currently belong to them. For example – if you make Bloch shoes then you must still pay to sell a second-hand pair of Bloch shoes on a customer’s behalf.

Paid-for listings appear as Priority Threads whose title is in bold and will remain at the top of Page 1 for a month.

ALL threads - including priority ones - may NOT include links to company websites.

All For Sale threads are NOT to be used as advertising space (whether solely, or in conjunction with an item for sale) for one’s company or a service of any kind. Sellers should have all the relevant information avaliable in-thread so potential buyers do not have to link elsewhere for ‘more information’ – this includes links to Ebay shops and Ebay items!

If you buy a monthy advertisement to sell a particular costume, that's it. You are NOT also paying for the right to advertise other products/your website, therefore you are not permitted to "sneak in" an ad for those products/services. Example - A paid advertisement for a pink U/12 costume is fine. But a paid advertisement for a pink U/12 costume AND a section underneath about headpieces also avaliable at suchandsuch website is NOT. Similarly, a "please visit my Ebay shop at ________" in your post is also not allowed.

If a thread does not contain all the required information, it will be removed.

If any member sees a thread that should be removed, it would be appreciated if they would mod-report it immediately by pressing the “Mod” button. “But someone else is doing it!” is no excuse for knowingly breaking the posting rules.

Even priority threads will be removed if they do not comply by these Posting Rules. However if this is the case we will credit the DDN account with 1 priority posting, which can be redeemed the next time that seller posts an advert and mod-reports it to our attention.

LIKE ALL FORUMS ON DANCE.NET, CROSS-POSTING IS NOT PERMITTED!

Measurements Guide

Fact

Dance costumes are made to a specific size, to fit a specific dancer for a reason, you want the dancer to look their best.

This is a measuring guide to help people advertising their costumes for sale and those wanting to buy them too. These are the measurements you will need for a good fit on any dance costume

Bust
Around the widest part of the chest.

Waist
This is the natural waist and is about one inch or 2 cm above the belly button. On a young adult this is normally the narrowest part of the torso.

Dropped Waist
ID costumes look great with a dropped waist, this is where the skirt meets the bodice and this circumference is and needs to be measured.

All of these measurements need to be taken as a full circle around your dancer, not just the front or back.

Length of Bodice
This will need to be measured to the waist on a dropped waist costume and from the natural waist to the dropped waist if applicable. A full length measurement can be added as well for clarification, this would be taken from the top of the zipper to where the skirt meets the bodice.

Mostly for our male dancers, Inside Leg

All costumes with long trousers will need an inside leg measurement, this is from the crotch down to just under the ankle.

Without these measurements there is very little chance of a costume finding it's right new dancer on the first fitting.

* dance.net holds no responsibility for product damage/theft for items advertised in our For Sale forums. It is entirely the seller’s responsibility as to how the sale is conducted.
* It would be appreciated if sellers could lock threads or mod-report them to request their removal after their item has been sold to avoid confusion/keep the forum clean.
* Prices MUST appear on each For Sale thread. If you are not sure how much to charge you are welcome to enter in an approximate price range and the words “Price Negotiable”. Please also remember you can change this listed price whenever you like by mod-reporting your thread and specifying exactly what you want changed and to what.

33 Replies to New Rules for Posting on DDN "For Sale" Forums

re: New Rules for Posting on DDN "For Sale" Forums
By AussieLauramember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1129, member since Sun Mar 07, 2010
On Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:02 PM
Edited by AussieLaura (220899) on 2010-12-15 23:04:02
These rules are sure going to help to clear up the for sale boards!

I just wanted to point out that the measurement for hips is different for an ID costume, and the girth and inside leg measurements aren't relevant for our constumes.

By minny2 Comments: 77, member since Sat Nov 15, 2008
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 03:24 AM
I have paid to advertise on here in the past. It went down the page like any other it did not remain at the top for a month.
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5653, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 05:12 AM
^I think what may have happened is that other posters on that board will also have purchased the advertisement to get a priority posting, and with more people doing that their post then gets taken to the top until the next person comes along and purchases advertisement, so the post does drop down. In comparison to the non-advertised posts, yours always remain ahead of these and have bold in the title, whereas if I posted a free-ad it'd probably start on the 2nd or 3rd pages.

Claire.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:57 AM
^Precisely which is why I added the following verbiage in my little intro to these changes...

"For example, some dance modes use leotard based costumes. Irish dancers normally do not, nor do Highland dancers, but measurements unique to your form of dance must be included."

It should come as no surprise that I am the least qualified person to write some of this (I'm the only guy who is a MOD at present and I don't sew...or wear ID dresses -or highland kilts. :P), which is why I shamelessly stole what DDN MOD Hummingbird wrote for the Disco boards, which in turn is an update of an older set of rules written some time ago by former MOD Glitterfairy. At least I know enough about ID to know IDer's normally don't wear leotard-y costumes, or long pants (at least the girls don't.) I put essentially the same post on the Highland boards as well and they have one dance type at least that does use trousers (the Hornpipe.)

When these rules have had a little time to set in, we are always open to suggestions on how to tweak the verbiage a bit. There are other boards we haven't yet added these rules to as yet (modern, jazz, hip hop etc.) but they don't have nearly the traffic that the Disco, Irish and Highland boards do. These are always a "work in progress" based upon our experiences as moderators and we will entertain almost any well thought-out suggestions.

Jon
By RinceorNosretep Comments: 1027, member since Fri Oct 23, 2009
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:15 PM
Thank you thank you thank you for these new rules! It really bugs me when people don't put a price, just 'make an offer!'. 'Okay, how about $1?' And when people put 'for slim, short teenager' as measurements. Teenagers are 13-19. I highly doubt a 19-year old was the exact same size at age 13. *end rant about pet peeves*

Anyway I think these new rules will be an absolute blessing!
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 01:31 PM
Thanks to Mod Hummingbird who just edited the posting to make it more ID friendly.

Jon
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 01:35 PM
As Jon pointed out these rules where really made for the disco forums, I have removed the reference to girth and added information as to how a dropped waist needs to be measured as well as adding my splash of colour :D

I couldn't find a picture that showed a dropped waist measurement without 101 other irrelevant bits of information so I've decided to leave that out.

Inside leg might not be important for measuring the length of bloomers but we do have male ID'ers and they most definitely need to know what length of inside leg a potential costume has so I've left that in.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 02:43 PM

For older teens/ladies it would also be useful if you added bra size of the dancer as well as bust measurement.

I have attached a measurement chart for extra guidance.
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 06:02 PM
Number 9 is a hip measurement. A dropped waist can be anything between number 2 (the waist) to number 9 (the hips) which is why it's helpful to include the dropped waist circumference and how much below the natural waist the dropped waist really is.
On Fri Dec 17, 2010 09:26 AM
In particular, Irish dress "For Sale" postings often get requests for having the back side photographed so it would be useful to have a shot included. We also see many requests to see the dress on someone (realize this could be a problem with growth spurts.) We also see a lot of requests for detail shots.
In short, include anything you think might help sell YOUR dress. It is best if you plan ahead and include these in your first shot. We also see a lot of requests for how much a dress hem can be lowered or let out, so if you are familiar with sewing, it may be useful to include this.

Jon
By tan Comments: 36, member since Tue Jan 27, 2009
On Wed May 11, 2011 10:01 AM
thanks for all the info
By tan Comments: 36, member since Tue Jan 27, 2009
On Wed May 11, 2011 10:02 AM
That great to know I am new on here and am wanting to sell a dress I think that will make it easier for the seller and the buyer
By Ginak Comments: 2, member since Sat May 28, 2011
On Fri Jul 01, 2011 08:12 AM
I'd like to reduce the price, but don't know how. In addition, I found a better picture of the dress and I can't change or add to it either. Please let me know how.
On Fri Jul 01, 2011 09:49 AM
I have PM'd the person who asked this question, but here is some general information on this subject.

You lower a price by posting a follow up message to the original...not by posting a totally new message, unless it has "aged" off the ten pages we provide. You also can add photos in a follow up message, but you really can't do that to the original post (at least I can't figure out how to do that even with the additional tools a moderator has.) Be careful about which photo you want to show up first. We see quite a few items where the back of a dress (in ID) is the photo which shows up first when you probably want the front of an outfit to be the first picture which comes up when someone clicks on it. We MODs cannot shuffle the order around either. [I suppose someone who can edit the original code could do this, but we Mods don't get paid enough to do this, LOL (we are all volunteers.)]

Jon
By Ginak Comments: 2, member since Sat May 28, 2011
On Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:05 AM
Thanks Jon -
By dancemom49 Comments: 20, member since Wed Sep 02, 2009
On Sat Aug 13, 2011 04:37 PM
I made the mistake of posting the wrong picture first. Can I delete post and start all over again? Also, how do you delete a post once a dress has sold? - Thanks
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sat Aug 13, 2011 04:49 PM
Press the mod button and we can delete the post you would like removed. You can lock the post on your own after it is sold...just press the edit button.
By BaerGirl Comments: 12, member since Fri Sep 19, 2008
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 05:46 AM
I am trying to post two dresses that I have for sale and cannot figure out how to do this. Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to list my dresses.

Comment #9681019 deleted
Removed by AlwaysOnStage (90901) on 2011-08-18 09:06:31 oops, nevermind then

On Thu Aug 18, 2011 09:00 AM
I see BaerGirl got her posting up. You often have to have patience when posting photos...it sometimes takes several minutes and occasionally a few hours for a photo to show up.

Jon
By mschubie Comments: 36, member since Wed Apr 05, 2006
On Thu Oct 27, 2011 09:17 AM
I have tried posting my dress for sale twice now and do not see it showing up...any suggestions on why this is happening?
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Thu Oct 27, 2011 02:34 PM
Mschubie, your dress showed up twice on the main board and is on the for sale board twice. It is on the second and third page when I wrote this.

Comment #9768408 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2011-11-02 13:23:45 Please repost this as your own post and not in reply to another thread. Thank you.

Comment #9768415 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2011-11-02 13:24:56 Problem solved, next time just hit the Mod button to send us a message.

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch