Forum: Highland / Highland - For Sale / Dresses & Costumes

Highland For Sale - Dresses & Costumes
New Rules For Posting "For Sale" Items on DDN (karma: 1)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Dec 15, 2010 09:58 PM
Made sticky by Chaconne (182529) on 2010-12-15 21:59:12
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2010-12-15 22:13:50
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2010-12-15 22:17:04 spell and word tweak.
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2010-12-16 13:56:43 Tweaked to make it more Highland friendly
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2010-12-16 17:58:46 no need for crystal decorations on kilts :)

We have revised the criteria for posting "For Sale" items on DDN. We have done this, in part, to eliminate confusion, to minimize misunderstandings about sizing of items so as to reduce the number of returned dancing outfits. We have specified the required measurements and posters are required to have accurate measurement. It is not sufficient to say a dress will fit a ten year old, or someone in a specific dance age category. We will remove postings not meeting these criteria. The measurement specified are all inclusive but not neccessarily universal. For example, some dance modes use leotard based costumes. Irish dancers normally do not, nor do highland dancers, but measurement unique to your form of dance must be included. When you post, please think of your customer. Would you have enough information from your posting that you would be comfortable making an offer on the item if you were the purchaser rather than the seller. We have added a requirement for at a minimum, an asking price. While negotiations are alway possible, merely saying "Make an offer" will not be acceptable. This is to save time. Dance outfits can run from US $50 or equivalent to well over $2000. It is a waste of everyone's time if someone offers $100 and your expectations are more like $1000.

Thanks to DDN Moderator Hummingbird, who has made costumes herself for formulating these rules and editing existing rules.

Jon

The reason for these changes is to help with the issues people seem to be having with fittings, costumes come back with bit's missing or broken, postage not paid or just not returned at all. These new rules will assist with that.

It is always advised that a deposit is obtained before you post any costume off for a fitting.

The following details are mandatory on each For Sale THREAD:

1. Photo of the costume
2. Size of the costume, measurements are required
3. Price (and if negotiable)
4. Accessory list (if any)
5. Age of the costume (if known)
6. Name of costume manufacturer (if known)
The following details are not mandatory, but highly advisable.
7. Costume materials
8. Details on whether the costume will be sent out, or which competitions it will be taken to

One thread per item for sale please.

Showing multiple photos of the same item in the same thread is easily done using a free image host like photobucket.com or imageshack. Multiple threads for the same item (either intentionally done to get more attention, to “bump” it back onto the first page, or to show more views of the product) will be deleted.
If a costume falls off the 10th page - and ONLY then - may you re-submit it in its entirely - that means ALL the required information.

Multiple items are not permitted in the one thread. This includes listings for custom-made items. One thread, one sale.

Posting an advert here for free is only permitted for second-hand items being sold by individuals who are not in the costume-related industry or any other industry directly related to the item’s manufacture.

The only exception to this rule is if you are selling second-hand merchandise whose manufacture and sale has nothing to do with your company.

Business owners MUST pay to sell their merchandise, even if the product being sold is second-hand, and even if it doesn’t currently belong to them. For example – if you make Bloch shoes then you must still pay to sell a second-hand pair of Bloch shoes on a customer’s behalf.

Paid-for listings appear as Priority Threads whose title is in bold and will remain at the top of Page 1 for a month.

ALL threads - including priority ones - may NOT include links to company websites.

All For Sale threads are NOT to be used as advertising space (whether solely, or in conjunction with an item for sale) for one’s company or a service of any kind. Sellers should have all the relevant information avaliable in-thread so potential buyers do not have to link elsewhere for ‘more information’ – this includes links to Ebay shops and Ebay items!

If you buy a monthy advertisement to sell a particular costume, that's it. You are NOT also paying for the right to advertise other products/your website, therefore you are not permitted to "sneak in" an ad for those products/services. Example - A paid advertisement for a pink U/12 costume is fine. But a paid advertisement for a pink U/12 costume AND a section underneath about headpieces also avaliable at suchandsuch website is NOT. Similarly, a "please visit my Ebay shop at ________" in your post is also not allowed.

If a thread does not contain all the required information, it will be removed.

If any member sees a thread that should be removed, it would be appreciated if they would mod-report it immediately by pressing the “Mod” button. “But someone else is doing it!” is no excuse for knowingly breaking the posting rules.

Even priority threads will be removed if they do not comply by these Posting Rules. However if this is the case we will credit the DDN account with 1 priority posting, which can be redeemed the next time that seller posts an advert and mod-reports it to our attention.

LIKE ALL FORUMS ON DANCE.NET, CROSS-POSTING IS NOT PERMITTED!

Measurements Guide

Fact

Dance costumes are made to a specific size, to fit a specific dancer for a reason, you want the dancer to look their best.

This is a measuring guide to help people advertising their costumes for sale and those wanting to buy them too. These are the measurements you will need for a good fit on any dance costume

Bust
Around the widest part of the chest.

Waist
This is the natural waist and is about one inch or 2 cm above the belly button. On a young adult this is normally the narrowest part of the torso.

Hips
This is the widest part around the bum, not around the top of the hips.

All of these measurements need to be taken as a full circle around your dancer, not just the front or back.

Inside Leg

All costumes with long trousers will need an inside leg measurement, this is from the crotch down to just under the ankle.

Without these measurements there is very little chance of a costume finding it's right new dancer on the first fitting.

If you are still unsure please follow this link to an excellent guide specifically for Highland Costumes that also includes a few more things to consider

www.dance.net . . .

* dance.net holds no responsibility for product damage/theft for items advertised in our For Sale forums. It is entirely the seller’s responsibility as to how the sale is conducted.
* It would be appreciated if sellers could lock threads or mod-report them to request their removal after their item has been sold to avoid confusion/keep the forum clean.
* Prices MUST appear on each For Sale thread. If you are not sure how much to charge you are welcome to enter in an approximate price range and the words “Price Negotiable”. Please also remember you can change this listed price whenever you like by mod-reporting your thread and specifying exactly what you want changed and to what.

17 Replies to New Rules For Posting "For Sale" Items on DDN

re: New Rules For Posting "For Sale" Items on DDN
By thereelthing3 Comments: 152, member since Sun Aug 03, 2008
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 04:00 PM
Excuse my ingorance but what does "stoned" mean in no.7
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 05:21 PM
Welcome to the club on that one, I had to ask it myself a few weeks ago. Nothing to do with narcotics or alcohol.

Stoned means that a costume is embellished with sewn-in glass crystal beads. More glitz. Sometimes they have several hundred of them sewn in. In that quantity, the beads get expensive not to mention the labor involved. Of course, it follows that a stoned costume is one in which more money is expected.

I'm not sure if the term is actually used in Irish dancing...I think I've seen more often that people just say they have crystal beads sewn in.
The term may be more common in the disco world. I'll ask our moderators, some of whom do ID.

Jon
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 05:57 PM
Lol, I missed that one, it really has nothing to do with Highland, a fashion for kilts encrusted with crystals hasn't really hit the Highland world yet and I really hope it's a long time before it happens :D
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 07:15 PM
Oh, I don't know. What's another few huundred grams of weight to dance in? And I can definitely see embellished jig outfits catching on (again)!

C.
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 07:19 PM
We just missed an opportunity to revolutionize Highland dancing...and make it as expensive as Disco or ID LOL :P.

Jon
By abbeygirl Comments: 1, member since Tue Feb 08, 2011
On Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 AM
What is meant by tread? Im new.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 AM
Abbeygirl: you should probably read more on this page and this page to help get your bearings, and then post on that 2nd board (the Welcome Board) to introduce yourself.

To answer your question, this site is a forum which is divided into boards. These boards all have names such as the "General-Welcome" board, which I linked you to, or others such as the "Ballet-Beginners" board. In these boards, people can start discussions or ask a questions, which is called starting a thread. When people answer that question, or chime in on a discussion, they are commenting on that thread, also called replying or posting.

So a Thread is an individual discussion/question posted by one person and responded to by other persons.
By merridancer Comments: 37, member since Sun Apr 18, 2010
On Sun Oct 23, 2011 07:37 AM
If you are a new member, and you would like to sell a used outfit, should you pay for that?
By ktbeesmom Comments: 21, member since Tue Aug 16, 2011
On Thu Jan 05, 2012 04:56 PM
Ok-- I feel like I have met Your "Requirements"-- and yet am still not being allowed to post something for sale?? what exactly is it missing??-- people have told me this is an easy web site to use to sell an outgrown costume and everytime I have tried they won't let it post?? I'm sorry there has got be a better way-- what hoop exactly do you need me to jump through??
By Dancing_Pigletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 601, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sun Jan 08, 2012 02:40 PM
If it's not letting you post it should give you a reason. Does it say anything when you try to enter your post?
By maweedancingdiva Comments: 33, member since Mon Jul 18, 2011
On Tue Mar 13, 2012 06:34 AM
I'm the same as ktbeesmom, it says I have an error when uploading my photo but I can actually see the picture in the box with all the details but it's a big picture rather than a small picture at the side? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
By gordonghillies Comments: 31, member since Thu May 17, 2012
On Thu May 17, 2012 08:19 PM
Thank you very much for the clarification. I will be posting a number of items in the near future as my daughters have had their growth spurt as teenagers and has had new outfits sewn. I am hopeful that there will be some responses. :)
By Korinna Comments: 31, member since Fri Jan 13, 2012
On Tue May 29, 2012 01:25 PM
I have a new outfit that I am hoping to sell, it is the wrong size for my dancer and therefore I want to list it as new. I am not a company, am I therefore allowed to post it? I know the explanation above says only second hand outfits may be posted.

Please clarify.

Thanks,
By DaisysDad Comments: 122, member since Mon Apr 23, 2012
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 08:28 PM
Chaconne wrote:

Sellers should have all the relevant information avaliable in-thread so potential buyers do not have to link elsewhere for ‘more information’ – this includes links to Ebay shops and Ebay items!

I read this as: if the listing on dance.net has the same description and pictures as the ebay ad then it is acceptable to link to your ebay ad as an option for payment. Is that right?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:22 AM
DaisysDad wrote:

Chaconne wrote:

Sellers should have all the relevant information avaliable in-thread so potential buyers do not have to link elsewhere for ‘more information’ – this includes links to Ebay shops and Ebay items!

I read this as: if the listing on dance.net has the same description and pictures as the ebay ad then it is acceptable to link to your ebay ad as an option for payment. Is that right?

No, it isn't. Because if people are paying on eBay, then the sale is actually taking place on eBay, and not on DDN, which is required by the rules.
By DaisysDad Comments: 122, member since Mon Apr 23, 2012
On Wed Apr 10, 2013 07:10 PM
Edited by DaisysDad (249056) on 2013-04-10 19:19:45
Edited by DaisysDad (249056) on 2013-04-10 19:20:46 grammer
Edited by DaisysDad (249056) on 2013-04-10 19:34:56 add info
Theresa wrote:

No, it isn't. Because if people are paying on eBay, then the sale is actually taking place on eBay, and not on DDN, which is required by the rules.

Not trying to be a pain, but that is not in the rules listed above...Where does it say that? And are you speaking on behalf of dance.net? (I don't know who you are)

It actually states "It is entirely the seller’s responsibility as to how the sale is conducted."

Can you explain what you mean by the sale takes place _on_ dance.net? The sales, as far as I can tell, currently take place in person or usually by paypal invoice.

My reason for asking is because I recently read of someone's troubles on here where they bought an outfit they didn't think was described correctly, and paid by paypal invoice. I don't know the whole story, but if the sale had occurred on eBay vs paypal invoice alone, the seller and the buyer are both protected better. Here is some info from ebay about the buyer/seller protection:
pages.ebay.com . . .
pages.ebay.com . . .
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 03:59 AM
Ok, I did the most recent revision of the "Rules" when I was a Moderator (which I am not currently.) We had some discussion about this at the time among the moderator panel and with the owner of DDN. The bottom line is that DDN has its rules and Ebay has their's. If you link to Ebay (which is not permitted...and when I was a moderator and pretty much patrolled the Highland and Irish boards), I would remove postings which did try to link them. Ebay has some advantages...a buyer protection scheme which DDN simply does not have the resources to do. DDN has a very large and very specific audience, particularly in the Irish, Highland and Disco sections where people who are interested in costumes, dresses, related paraphernalia can make contact. It is largely based upon trust, but DDN cannot provide and "money back" guarantees. We have, when I was a MOD, uncovered some scams, particularly in the Disco and UK/Ireland Irish world and banned the perpetrators and in at least one instance I'm aware of, involved law enforcement.
But the Mod panel members are not lawyers, and I would advise that members avoid trying to play lawyer with DDN verbiage. The Mods and the Owner of DDN made a policy and that policy is "You are NOT permitted to link DDN private party advertisements with ANY other site. PERIOD!" That was the way it was when I did a revision and clarification of the rules two years ago and I believe that current Moderator Theresa has made it very clear that policy still stands.

Jon (Former DDN Moderator)

ReplySendWatch