Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Help with illusions!?
By DanceNinja
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 01:50 PM
Locked by DanceNinja (221244) on 2010-12-18 13:13:44 i got it! thanks everyone!!

I could really use some help on how to do an illusion with no hands. I can do it pretty well with one hand, but I have to do it with no hands in my solo! I tend to not bend all the way down so my nose isn't to my knee.. Anyone have any tips? Thanks! :)

5 Replies to Help with illusions!?

re: Help with illusions!?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 01:54 PM
The most common trouble with illusions is balance: that's why using hands is easier than no-hands--after all: you're only using your hand to steady yourself.

I would advise practicing stepping into a 'needle' (the illusion position, without turning) and trying to balance. Try to find where you balance, without using your hands each time. As you get more comfortable with finding the position without over shooting it, add a 1/2 turn. This way you begin to use your torso momentum but aren't torquing your body too much.

The biggest thing: refuse to use your hands. Falling is better than using your hands in practice: you don't want to learn to have a built-in crutch. Instead, this will help you find the no-hand illusion faster.

When you master the 1/2 turn, slowly increase your rotations until you have the illusion you need.
By DanceNinja
On Thu Dec 16, 2010 01:58 PM
^Thank you very much! I will try that!!
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 17, 2010 04:49 PM
AlwaysOnStage hit all the points I was going to, the hardest part is finding your "sweet spot," where you feel like you could balance for days. Once you've got that down, you're set.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 18, 2010 02:16 AM
I don't remember doing too many illusions in jazz class. Is this for dance team or what?
By DanceNinja
On Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:31 AM
We've done them in jazz class and dance team!

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed