Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

First long ride on my scooter!
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:02 PM

I've just come back from a 60km ride on my little scooter. Yay! And then rode in suburban streets to the parents' house.

Yippee!

Oh, and why are we so excited? Well, this is the third time I've had a motorcycle learner's license and the first time I've actually enjoyed riding. Having an automatic makes a big difference, as I can relax a bit more, rather than thinking too much about which gear I need to be in at any given moment.

7 Replies to First long ride on my scooter!

re: First long ride on my scooter!
By Leigha_Ballerina
On Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:50 PM
I hope that after a while you will be able to move to a manual bike as if your stuck with a Auto license your really limted to what you can ride in Australia.

Stay up right and be safe, remember on a bike its not matter of who's right, but who's left - and welcome to the sister hood of two wheels.

Leigha - proud owner of a trumpy 900 triple speed in british racing green
On Sun Dec 19, 2010 02:19 PM
Thanks bearcat. Apparently after three years on a full automatic license you are upgraded to a manual license, automatically (!).
I see your point, but at my age (old) I don't think I'll want anything else except a scooter. My family is old motorcycling almost royalty down here so I've been around almost every kind of bike with dad, and while I like bikes it hasn't grabbed me that hard yet, even after all this time.

That may well change, though, I know. ;)
By Leigha_Ballerina
On Mon Dec 20, 2010 03:02 AM
Well I am 42 years young - my family have a bit of a bike history - I have even ridden 250cc production bike in a race at Bathurst. And if we get all the parts in time my nephew and I will be putting my 1982 Yamaha RD250lc back on the track just for a bit of fun next year.
On Mon Dec 20, 2010 04:19 AM
OK, you win! ;) Dad's raced at Bathurst and I fell asleep in the sidecar on the Olympic Way to a rally. Well, I've fallen asleep in the sidecar in three states, actually. The old one was so comfy.

It's raining here today, and forecasted to continue till Christmas, but I'll be out as soon as it clears.
By Leigha_Ballerina
On Mon Dec 20, 2010 04:47 AM
I was a Bathurst Brat myself for the first 18 years of my life, the family farm was just out of Kelso, my dads workshop was often the location of the odd midnight rebuild for some poor guy who had dropped his bike during the day and wanted to be back on the track for the next one.

I do miss the event which was the Easter at Bathurst. Almost as entertaining was going along with the old man to Court on the Tuesday after easter to view the carring on as well.
By Soleil2213member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Dec 20, 2010 05:25 AM
Congratulations! I bought my scooter a little over a year ago and rode it everywhere this past summer. Tucked away for the winter now but I had a blast over the summer. My husband has gotten into bikes and is building a motorcycle from the ground up, and we have a smaller one that we share, so I am learning to ride that as well. I feel so much free-er on my scooter though as I am more comfortable on that.

Taking my momma for her first ride :)
Image hotlink - 'http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs327.ash2/60694_518780314369_143800392_30811432_5415073_n.jpg'
On Mon Dec 20, 2010 05:09 PM
Edited by tassiemum (158209) on 2010-12-20 17:10:01 typo
^Bearcat, that reminded me of the day dad stripped his BSA motor down in the pits, put new pistons and rings in and still won the day!

Soleil, great pic! I'm not allowed to have a pillion until I'm fully licensed- minimum of three years, here.

ReplySendWatch