Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

trouble remembering choreography? advice needed!
By liamsayywhaat
On Tue Dec 21, 2010 07:54 PM

so I've noticed recently that my biggest problem is that I can't seem to pick up on choreography. if I rehearse over and over, I can definitely do it and do it well, but in class I just can't seem to keep up with everybody else. it bothers me to no end and I'm looking for advice. what should I do?

7 Replies to trouble remembering choreography? advice needed!

re: trouble remembering choreography? advice needed!
By Rachel_n
On Mon Feb 14, 2011 02:06 PM
Ask your teacher if you can stay after class and video tape your self, or someone else doing the dance, then take the video home and practice with that. Also you can try to put a move with a certain word or phrase in the song, that has seemed to help me. Hope I helped :)
By pointeprincessSDmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 14, 2011 04:01 PM
I used to have this problem!! To avoid forgetting choreo, I really just focus in on what I'm learning in class. At home or someplace where I have a spare moment, I run through it in my head, or find the song on YouTube or iTunes and mark through the dance a few times. This is especially helpful when remembering solos! Good luck!
By liamsayywhaat
On Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 PM
thank you! i'll definitely try those. it's getting down to crunch time for recital choreography and i'll need all the help i can get. :)
By mochichi
On Wed Feb 16, 2011 08:01 PM
My daughter had a notebook and she would write down the new steps on the way home.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:15 PM
liamsayywhaat wrote:

it's getting down to crunch time for recital choreography and i'll need all the help i can get. :)
For me, getting the choreography on the fly in class and getting it, permanently, for a recital are a bit different. For class, I try to memorize what the meaningful movement is at the end (or middle) of a musical phrase (a turn, a jump, a pause -- whatever) and shoot for that, getting there with hopefully approximately the right steps. Then on another go-around I try to get the linking steps more accurately.

When it comes to the recital, though, I need to go beyond the above method. Getting the whole thing accurately enough so I can practice can be a problem. I try to write the whole thing down -- as much as I can remember -- immediately after class and even during any breaks during class. Otherwise it is gone.

You need to link the steps to the music. Does it have lyrics? Hopefully so. On the left hand side of the pages, write out the lyrics, line by line (in counts of 8) and when there is instrumental music write that out, too, in counts of 8, even if you just have to write "dum-de-dum with horns" (or whatever). Hopefully your teacher can give you a copy of the music or tell you where to find it online. You need to have the same version you're using in class.

Then, on the right-hand of the page, write the steps that you do opposite each 8 counts of lyrics. At first you may find you have many blanks and question marks. But it gives you a starting point. Ask your teacher and classmates to help you fill in the blanks and clarify the question marks.
By CarrieBee
On Wed Feb 23, 2011 03:40 PM
are you nervous?
do you pressure yourself because you think you won't be able to remember choreography?
Make sure that you don't mess up your own mind!
This happened to me.
It took me ages to find out what my real problem was. I just wasn't confident enough.
I had to tell myself over and over again that I would be able to do a turn leap etc.
At some point it made click and it just worked as I was no longer stopping myself.
I don't know if this helps you at all...
Good luck!
By BrashDancer
On Tue Mar 08, 2011 09:09 AM
I always tell my students if they feel like its not in their bodies yet, go grab your camera/ipod/iphone whatever and video tape it. This obviously helps them remember it when the get home. But remembering choreo in class... Try saying the steps quietly as you learn them. Example " Right arm reach, step left and look to the front step prep turn turn turn, jump out and hold" say it to the beat of the music or in a way that it matches up with the counts.

My kids always laugh when I teach a new combo, I usually say the steps and use words so they rhyme. They laugh, but they get the choreo down.

Good Luck and Keep working!

ReplySendWatch