Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Can't Dance Without Choreography created by someone else.. is that bad?
By prettyeyessxoxo
On Wed Dec 22, 2010 01:29 AM

So I'm 19 and I've been dancing for a good four or five years now, (I started later, as you can see). But I still have an impossible time creating my own choreography. Even if I did, I would not remember it no matter how much I practice it, and even if I did remember it, I would not be able to execute it will on stage. I don't know what's wrong with me!

I've heard of dancers, even professionals-having the problem of not being able to learn choreography as quick but their free styling skills are amazing. I am not like that. If there is no choreography, there is no dance. I cannot freestyle to a song to save my life.

I'm not just being negative, all my self evaluations are quite true. I don't know if this is just a lack of experience, but it really gets me down.

I've entered myself in a local pageant in two months to prove to myself that I can dance-- on my own! Any advice?

1 Replies to Can't Dance Without Choreography created by someone else.. is that bad?

re: Can't Dance Without Choreography created by someone else.. is that bad?
By mazie
On Thu Dec 23, 2010 02:08 PM
I am going to guess that you're still an intermediate/beginner dancer.(please correct me if I'm wrong: different people progress faster/slower over 4yrs)

So working on my assumption I'm not too surprised that you struggle to choreograph. If you think of dance as a language, and moves as words: as a relative beginner you probably don't yet have the "vocabulary" to start making complete pieces of your own. Or you know individual words(moves) but don't know how to put them together to form sentences (i.e. a dance)

That's nothing to worry about, people of all levels can struggle with choreography, the same way that even people who can fluently speak a language can struggle to make up their own stories etc.

Sorry for the long winded analogy but I hope it makes my point clear.
However I think there are two things you can work on to help you.
First of all concentrate on technique and learning moves that you would want to put into a dance. This will give you solid building blocks to make your dance out of.

Secondly, get inspired!! Find songs that really catch you, songs that make you think of certain dance moves, or really make you want to get up and dance about the room. Something that gets you in a dancing mood. Then try out some moves to music, don't even try to make a dance, just move to the music. This will help you get the feel of what moves go where and how you like to dance.
Watch youtube videos of dance routines, or think of routines you've done in class. Think about what makes them good, the sort of moves in them, how the moves link up together.

Once you feel you want to start choreographing, start small, a couple of 8 counts at a time and just work on them until your happy. You can always ask for help from a dance friend, or even your teacher after class.
Most of all just keep persevering. The more you practice the better you will get, and the easier choreographing will become.

ReplySendWatch