Popular Ballet

Rad vs Vaganova by dancemom444
Hi, My 10 year old has studied the RAD syllabus since she was 4. If I were to put her in a Vaganova studio for the summer, will it confuse her? What are the differences? Thanks :)

Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers
How to make a simple dance skirt (multiple widths) without a pattern (karma: 4)  en>fr fr>en
By rosalinde Comments: 1769, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Sun Dec 26, 2010 07:11 AM
Edited by rosalinde (213002) on 2010-12-26 07:16:03 extra info
Made sticky by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-12-27 19:07:25 stickied! Great post.

This is a simple tutorial for those dancers who need a simple skirt but don't feel like having to buy patterns. This works for all ages and sizes!!

For all patterns:
* Add seam allowance after drawing your pattern. This is not included in the maths. 15 mm is normal.
* For plus-size dancers, add 2-5 cm of length to the back. Because these dancers usually have a bit of a booty, you'll need to compensate for the difference in 'curves' between the front and the back of the body. Average size adults can often use 1-3 extra centimetres in the back too. Children and slim teens don't need this.
* You can put elastic in the waist, in which case I'd advice to use the hip measurement as the waist or the dancer won't be able to get into the skirt. The elastic will be the waist measurement.
* If you use a waistband and zipper (neater, but more fiddly), you can use the waist measurement.
* Of course you can use a combination of waist band and elastic to allow for a little flexibility combined with a sleek finish. In that case, take the waist measurement for the skirt to be half-way between the waist and the hips.

What do you need?
* Dancer (just kidding ;) . Just take her measurements.)
* Measuring tape in either inches or centimetres.
* Pattern paper. Preferably with squares, but blank paper will work too.
* Calculator (cell phone will do nicely in a pinch).
* Pen or pencil, scissors.

* Fabric (any supple non-stretch fabric is good), 20 cm zipper and snap OR elastic band (depending on what you choose, see above)
* Sewing machine

RIGHT, HERE WE GO!

FULL-CIRCLE SKIRT
(The drawing is for this pattern)

1. Measure waist of dancer, and required skirt length. (example: waist 72 cm, skirt length 46 cm -- you can also do this in inches, it won't make any difference. It's just that I'm used to the metric system.)
2. Divide waist measurement by 6. (example: 72:6=12 cm)
3. Draw a line on the pattern paper, which is skirt length + measurement you got in step 2 (example: 46+12=58 cm).
4. Draw a 90 degree angle off one end of the line, and draw another line of the same length (example: again 58 cm).
5. Connect the two lines to make a 1/4 circle. I usually draw about 8 more lines from the 90 degree corner so I can easily sketch the 1/4 circle.
6. Measure the amount of step 2 (here 12 cm) from the corner and draw another, smaller 1/4 circle.
7. Add seam allowances to both curved lines. Small circle is waist line, big circle is lower edge.
8. Cut out 1/4 circle. Cut out the small 1/4 circle too.
9. You now have 1/4 of a full circle skirt. My advice is to draw another 1/4 skirt and tape it to the original pattern piece so you have a 1/2 circle.
10. Place the 1/2 circle pattern on the fold of the fabric and cut out. You now have a full-circle skirt.
11. For ELASTIC WAIST: fold over waist to make a little tunnel. Thread through the elastic. Hem the bottom of the skirt.
12. For WAIST BAND: Cut strip of fabric of waist length + 5 cm. Cut 20 cm slit down from waist seam for zipper. Stitch waist band to the waist line (extra 5 cm will give overlap to attach the snap). Put in zipper. Hem bottom of the skirt.

HALF-CIRCLE SKIRT

As for FULL-CIRCLE SKIRT, but for:
Step 2: divide waist measurement by 3.14

1/3-CIRCLE SKIRT

Step 2: Multiply waist measurement by 3, then divide by 6.28

1/4-CIRCLE SKIRT

Step 2: Multiply waist measurement by 2, then divide by 3.14

14 Replies to How to make a simple dance skirt (multiple widths) without a pattern

re: How to make a simple dance skirt (multiple widths) without a pattern en>fr fr>en
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2111, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Sun Dec 26, 2010 06:07 PM
Thank you very much, for posting this. If you wouldn't mind, may I copy and post on the highland boards (excellent jig skirt and/or national petticoat pattern)? Or perhaps you might copy and post yourself, as then you would get the credit! (much preferrred ;) )
re: How to make a simple dance skirt (multiple widths) without a pattern en>fr fr>en
By Realtreble Comments: 1948, member since Tue Dec 06, 2005
On Sun Dec 26, 2010 09:11 PM
If you are adding a waist band, remember to cut the fabric on the bias (diagonal) for a bit of stretch and a more comfortable fit. You may want to add a bit of stabilizer, too.

Great, basic directions for making these skirts. Good job!
On Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:58 AM
Edited by rosalinde (213002) on 2010-12-27 01:13:26
I just thought about it: technically for a full-circle skirt, you should divide the waist by 6.28 (pi squared), but 6 is a lot easier and you'll find it makes no difference.

Tassiemum: You've caught me at my most vulnerable spot: I do like that credit (*blush*). I'll copy it on the Highland board as well, it is great for Jig dresses (or at least the skirt) or choreography outfits.

Reeltreble: you're absolutely right, the bias does give some extra stretch. Thank you for pointing that out!
By FeisannePremium member Comments: 1729, member since Tue Aug 03, 2004
On Mon Dec 27, 2010 03:18 PM
Realtreble.... surely stabiliser would defeat the object of cutting on the bias?

Just a thought :)

Anne
On Tue Dec 28, 2010 02:19 AM
^ It would, so you'd have to make a choice. In my case I tend not to cut the waist bands on the bias, and for 'temporary' skirts (those which don't need to last for more than a handful of occasions) I don't put stabilizer in either. It's up to the individual I suppose.
By Realtreble Comments: 1948, member since Tue Dec 06, 2005
On Tue Dec 28, 2010 05:17 PM
Feisanne wrote:

Realtreble.... surely stabiliser would defeat the object of cutting on the bias?

Just a thought :)

Anne

Believe it or not, there are some stabilizers which stretch. If you are using heavier weight woven stabilizers, they, too, should be cut on the bias. I prefer something inside waist bands to keep their shape and prevent them from being crunched down.
By RedGlitter0325 Comments: 29, member since Tue Feb 22, 2011
On Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 PM
Just a question, ladies who sew. I can make a simple circle skirt, but how many layers should be underneath so it doesn't hang flat? And, should there be one of those net skirts underneath, as well, so it would stand out a bit? Thanks.
On Thu Jun 16, 2011 07:16 AM
^ You'd need a lot of layers to make it really stand out if yuo used regular fabric. If you don't want to go the route of the stiffener, I'd advise buying/making a proper net/tulle petticoat. Personally, I always buy petticoats, the few I tried never looked very good and weren't worth the stress. But, yes, a net underskirt would do the trick.
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 769, member since Tue Jul 01, 2008
On Thu Jun 16, 2011 03:27 PM
This is my FAVORITE pattern for skirts for the Renaissance Festivals! Got it/something similar years ago online. I usually use wide double fold bias tape and elastic for the waist. Make sure you use non-rolling elastic if you do an elastic waistband! Also, make sure if you use a measurement halfway between you waist and hip measurements that you can still pull if over your hips! I used my hip measurements but still had PLENTY of room left over, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
By treblemakermama Comments: 189, member since Thu Mar 26, 2009
On Thu Jun 16, 2011 07:12 PM
^Blanket binding also is amazing for waistbands. I often cut it long so I can tie a pretty bow in it for performance skirts. :)
By manymacs Comments: 13, member since Mon Apr 23, 2012
On Sun May 13, 2012 11:11 AM
This will be so helpful to my friend who wants to start a dressmaking business. She has had some trouble with the skirt but with this she should be done in no time at all!
By juici Comments: 36, member since Sun Jul 11, 2010
On Sun May 13, 2012 12:55 PM
thanks this has helped me make a rock and roll skirt x
By LillyBelle Comments: 35, member since Thu Apr 11, 2013
On Sat Apr 13, 2013 02:41 AM
You can also use a very wide elastic (2 inches wide) as the waistband itself - a good option for novice sewers.

My daughter's dance school uses layered circle skirts for the little girls and they look adorable! (I can post a photo once I'm no longer a 'New Member')
By LillyBelle Comments: 35, member since Thu Apr 11, 2013
On Sun Jun 09, 2013 07:47 PM
To make a 'poofy-er' circle skirt our school skirts were made using 2 layers (well 4 if you include the decorative netting layers) each made out of 2 full circles together (ie for each layer cut 2 full circles, cut a line from the bottom to the waist & sew the seams of the 2 circles together).

It uses a tonne of material for each skirt, but they look adorable and move really nicely when the girls dance. You'll want to cut the waist a bit smaller if you're going to put 2 circles together, otherwise you'll have a tonne of gathering to do! We've made the waists slightly larger than needed so that they would have a little gathering at the top as well.

ReplySendWatch