Forum: Arts / Photography - Artistic

Photography - Artistic
Diptchy? I think that's how you spell it.
By ladywater1 Comments: 182, member since Sat Aug 27, 2005
On Wed Dec 29, 2010 02:28 PM

Hi guys,
I am submitting work for a portfolio for university. Do you think it would be more impressive to do a diptych meaning having two side by side similar images like the ones posted, and having six like this (so 4 sets of images) or having all separate images?

Thanks!
Michelle

6 Replies to Diptchy? I think that's how you spell it.

re: Diptchy? I think that's how you spell it.
On Wed Dec 29, 2010 02:33 PM
sorry set of 3 images
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Fri Dec 31, 2010 02:26 PM
Unless you are a Renaissance artist like Bosch or Van Eyck (who did diptych and triptych alterpieces) I don't see too much value in using that technique, especially for a college portfolio.

I also don't think very much of the idea of using sunsets (or sunrises) as material for a college portfolio. Those of us who have taught photography (I used to teach adult education classes) have seen so many of these that we really are very jaded about seeing anymore. Of course I've shot 100's of them myself, but I really would only consider two of them to be portfolio worthy were I out to impress someone. I suspect that any college level teacher would feel the same. I've had college level courses in photography and the criticism you get can be brutal. One needs a very thick skin (which I have) but I've seen people run from the classroom crying after getting a critique at that level.

I got beat up pretty badly in one class (Fashion Photography), got a "C" in the course, and I was already a leading pro photographer in the area. I actually got that "C" at a local junior college of no great repute AFTER I had a bachelors from Wisconsin and a Masters from Johns Hopkins in other fields. AND THEN, the professor hired me to photograph social events (weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs) because his anxiety shooting "once in a lifetime" events drove him into analysis. His analyst told him "Hire someone!" P.S. I did the analyst's daughter's bat mitzvah!

Jon
On Fri Dec 31, 2010 02:54 PM
Ahaha oh boy, thats a funny story. =)
Thank you for the advice.
So you do no think the sun set picture are a good idea? or no
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Fri Dec 31, 2010 03:16 PM
I like the pics but I 2nd chaconne - sunsets/sunrises are easy come easy go.

Good work though x
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Fri Dec 31, 2010 03:27 PM
I wouldn't include them in something like a portfolio for, say, getting into a photo program at a school.

Jon
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10713, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Wed Jan 05, 2011 08:36 PM
Since I also had to create portfolios for different places I can give some advice what NOT to add.

For schools don´t add:
- sunsets/ sunrise
- family partys
- animals
- flowers

All those are considered just fast not thought through shoots and even if you have a REALLY GOOD picture that fits into one of those categories, don´t add it. It has to be EXTREMLY BRILLIANT to ignore that rule and to add it.
Well, that´s at least what I learned... Might be different from school to school (read below about that as well).

A good idea is a series of at least 3 pictures that somehow belong together.

At other places (not schools, but pro photographers who looked for someone to teach photography) I showed exactly the "no-go" photos and got most compliments for them. So you have to have very open senses when to add which photo to a portfolio. It differs a little from place to place. Schools however usually don´t want to see things like that.

ReplySendWatch