Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

Stars and Stripes
By dance68missS
On Thu Dec 30, 2010 01:11 PM

Hi...this is a cross post from the Teacher's Board, but I'm looking for choreography from Stars and Stripes. Any help would be much appreciated. There's a VHS on Amazon, but I was really hoping to find something online as I need it for Monday. Thanks!

5 Replies to Stars and Stripes

re: Stars and Stripes (karma: 1)
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Dec 30, 2010 03:12 PM
I can't reply on the teachers board, but that's illegal and I would highly discourage it because it sets a terrible example for your kids - oh, you don't have to make up your own choreography, you can just steal it from YouTube! You have to go through the Balanchine Trust to be able to set Balanchine's choreography, and they will have one of their repetiteurs come set it on your company. The Balanchine Trust is very protective of its product and I would NOT mess with them.
re: Stars and Stripes
By Ballet24_7
On Thu Dec 30, 2010 03:15 PM
I just replied to the thread on the teacher's board, but Dana is exactly right. I think you should come up with your own idea, Balanchine is not something that is meant for student recitals.
By dance68missS
On Fri Dec 31, 2010 05:42 AM
Thanks for your help. I certainly understand about copyright issues...and I know all about the Balanchine Trust. But if Balanchine's not for students, who's it for? If they don't learn about him and his work now, then when? I'm not trying to take the easy way out on choreography; I'm trying to include some dance history for a group of kids who live in a very small town and sometimes thing that dance begins and ends with their own performances. But again, thanks for your help.
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:18 AM
You can learn about a choreographer's work without performing it illegally. Seriously, it's a terrible reflection on your studio and you personally if you let these kids go onstage with choreography that you stole from someone. I've learned lots of pieces of rep in class - from teachers who learned it directly from Balanchine, Paul Taylor, etc etc - but we NEVER performed it unless we had the copyright. Keep it in class. Don't put it onstage.
By wembley
On Sat Jan 01, 2011 05:10 PM
Well, if you did try to perform it, it would generally be a watered-down version anyway, as most ballet schools wouldn't have enough students at a high enough standard to accurately reproduce a ballet that was set for professionals.

There are other ways to introduce students to ballet history. How about a film night for ballet videos/DVDs? Show them a short section from a famous ballet in class every few weeks. Sometimes we have a link to ballet clips on youtube, and discuss them on facebook (note: the Balanchine trust doesn't allow their material on youtube). I made posters of aspects of ballet history to put up at the studio.

ReplySendWatch