Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys PG-13

Feeling really self conscious about my weight(possibly triggering??)
By ghilliegirlan
On Fri Dec 31, 2010 09:20 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2011-01-02 17:49:40 Just edited to make it a bit easier for people to read this and help you out.

I've been really self conscious about my weight lately, and its like the exact opposite problem that a lot of people have so I feel really ridiculous telling anyone about it. I used to be a little overweight, not fat but very curvy, over the past six months I've lost around 20 pounds and with it every bit of curves I had.

Well what I should say is I totally lost my boobs and my thighs and butt are smaller but still larger than proportional. Now most people would love to lose weight and all but I was fairly comfortable with myself the way I was before, I mean everyone has one or two things they'd like to change sometimes but in general I was content.

I didn't mind the weight loss too much at first but I absolutely hate it now, I'm totally flat chested and since I'm so short everybody says I look even more like a little girl which doesn't make sense to me 'cause even without boobs I still have a curvier figure than a girl and my face isn't that little girlish. On top of that everybody keeps saying how 'worried' they are and how they 'hope I'm eating okay' and know that 'I'm beautiful just the way I am and don't need to lost weight' and all that crap, EVERYBODY has been treating me like I'm anorexic and I'm not, I eat the same way I did when I was heavier except for a few weeks ago while I was sick.

My aunt doesn't believe me when I tell her I'm eating the same she says that "I must be eating differently or I wouldn't be losing weight". My doctor is always harassing me about it as well and told me that I have gain 10 pounds in the next six months or he'll have to run more test(aka draw like 6 more vials of blood out of my arms for tests that always come up negative).

All of Christmas day everyone had to comment about how skinny I had gotten and how I had to eat more, I had actually made an effort to look pretty and dress up which has been really hard for me since so few of my clothes fit and I felt absolutely horrible after my aunts comment and just wanted to cover up in baggy clothes like I usually do so people will stop commenting, everybody had me almost in tears and even though I kept telling them that I'd been told and didn't need to be told again they kept making remarks about it.

I don't really know what I'm asking but I'm just hoping someone will have some advice about how to feel better about myself and how to deal with peoples comments. Has anyone else dealt with being underweight and having people comment on it constantly, or having alot of weight loss in a short time? Also maybe someone has tips on how to gain weight fast but in a healthy way, the doctor told me to just eat ice cream every night which is totally unhealthy especially since most of my family is overweight and I don't want to get into unhealthy habits while I'm young and plus I'm lactose intolerant.

I don't know if this post is appropriate for dance.net or if I even have it in the right place, if it's against the rules feel free to delete it. Thanks for any advice you can give or even just relating stories.

-Ashley

3 Replies to Feeling really self conscious about my weight(possibly triggering??)

re: Feeling really self conscious about my weight(possibly triggering??)
By Sumayah
On Fri Dec 31, 2010 09:51 PM
nutrition.about.com . . .

No matter whether you're under or over weight, if your clothes don't fit it's miserable. D4j post that link in a thread sometime back and I really liked it. It gives options for both losing and gaining weight. Eat foods that higher calorie, but still good for you - steak, salmon, avacados, etc. Stuff that will give you important nutrients but will increase your caloric intake healthfully.
By PureTapPremium member
On Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:27 AM
My doctor is always harassing me about it as well and told me that I have gain 10 pounds in the next six months or he'll have to run more test(aka draw like 6 more vials of blood out of my arms for tests that always come up negative).

This sends warning signals out to me - surely your doctor would know about your previous illness and would be able to take this into account when you're consulting him. I'd say that he's worried about something else causing the weight loss and that's why he's monitoring you and your weight. That's not 'harassing', that's being a good doctor and you should more credence in what he's advising you.

Also, why are you still losing weight if you're over the illness, this would be warranting concern from a doctor, particularly if you don't carry any excess weight as it is.

If you don't want to gain weight by eating high fat bad foods (ie; ice cream, chips, etc - man, this would be my dream!!!) then maybe you should start thinking about putting some good fats into you and gaining a bit of weight the healthy way. As Sumayah said above, get stuck into avocadoes, salmon, olives, etc.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 01, 2011 04:12 PM
Have you visited a nutritionist?

I know here in Australia, if you get referred by a doctor for being over/under weight, you get a couple of visits for free. I saw one when I magically put on a heap of weight and no one could explain it...and it really helped. While my problem wasn't what I was eating (medications etc), I found it really helped and felt healthier after I made some small adjustments to my diet, cut out certain foods etc etc.

ReplySendWatch