Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Jazz Audition Video Questions
By pointeprincessSDmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 02, 2011 09:45 AM

Hi, there! I need some help. I am auditioning for a summer intensive for the first time. I need to submit a video audition. It asks for a solo jazz combo and jumps and turns. Are there any NECESSITIES I should definitely include?

I'm already including:
Strattle jumps
Reverse grand jetes
triple turns/quad turns etc
fouettes/turning spot fouettes

Thank you so much!!

4 Replies to Jazz Audition Video Questions

re: Jazz Audition Video Questions
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:59 PM
Just because there's a spelling movement going on, it's a straddle leap. Straddle can be defined as similar to 'split', so it's called a straddle jump because the legs are also split apart from each other. Sort of like the phrase "Straddling the fence"

I wouldn't only do unique or challenging turns/leaps/jumps. You should also show a clean understanding of the basics.

For example, you could do a combo that repeats and has a pirouette in it. Do it several times doing 1 then 2, then 3, then 4 turns. Just doing 4 turns isn't as informative as also doing fewer turns.

I would also include a moving turn, such as chaine/piques. You could even do them in combo with a coupe-jete or another turning leap.

I adore tour jetes, but they are difficult to do correctly. Don't spend too much time on fouettes.
On Tue Jan 04, 2011 01:45 PM
Thanks so much!
Do you think it matters if I take cuts of what I'm doing and mash them together? Or I should I make it one solid routine?
re: Jazz Audition Video Questions (karma: 1)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Tue Jan 04, 2011 01:58 PM
I've never done one specifically for a Summer Intensive, so the first thing to do is look at their requirements. If it isn't stated, I would do sequences, but not a full routine.

For example, you could do 3-5 across-the-floor combos (that last from 2 to 6 8-counts) that include at least 3 turns or jumps each. That will give them a spread of technique without giving them too much 'extra' that they're not looking for.

An example would be something like
Fankick (1 + 2)
Chasse Prep in 4th (3 + 4)
Single Attitude Turn (5)
land the turn in an extended arabesque position (6)
pas de bourre turning behind you (7 + 8)
Petite Jete devent ( + 1)
run run ( 2 +)
reverse grand jete (3 4)
pivot turn to face the other direction and prep(+)
triple pirouette (5 + 6)
chaine out of it (7)
Step together, facing forwards in a pose (8)

That's a 2 x 8 phrase that includes:
- Attitude Turn (en dedans) from 4th landing 'up'
- turning pas de bourre
- petite jete
- Reverse Grande Jete
- Triple Pirouette ending in a Chaine

You have 3 major turning/leaping elements in a combo that would take 15-20 seconds to perform.
On Tue Jan 04, 2011 02:31 PM
I honestly cannot thank you enough! I greatly appreciate it!!

ReplySendWatch