Poll: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 8 of 10: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: Are you against owning a gun or for owning a gun.
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:01 AM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2011-01-06 10:07:29
Panic, you didn't see me saying anything about feeling safer without guns around but that didn't stop you generalising about me now did it?

And a police officer of any gender with pink handcuffs is an absolute disgrace to the profession. Utterly pathetic. They're for restraining criminals, not for looking pretty. Honestly, I can't believe you've just tried to justify a pink firearm by saying that police officers can carry pretty girly equipment. I'm amazed their force allows it; I'm amazed they themselves think it's acceptable - yes for foreplay, no for the very serious business of arresting a criminal. It's absolutely farcical, a mockery. Gives a really good impression of policewomen as well - awww, gotta let the little woman have her girly touches, right? Yeah, I bet her male colleagues (and sane female colleagues) really take her seriously. Not to mention the criminals. Just...wow. There really aren't enough adjectives.

You guys are making it sound easy to actually shoot someone.

I have said nothing of the sort. Sick to death of you putting words in my mouth on this thread, woman.

Comment #9390006 deleted
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2011-01-06 10:10:01
Removed by Chaconne (182529) on 2011-01-06 10:37:15 personal attack.

By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:13 AM
^ After not commenting on this thread for some time I thought I'd got your condescension out of my system but there you go again, grating. And you really need to get ALL of your thoughts down before you edit and change the entire thrust of the post.
re: Are you against owning a gun or for owning a gun. (karma: 1)
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:19 AM
Excuse me, condescension ? How about YOU being condescending to cops when you don't have a heck about what is going on.
I'm not being condescending to you, I am being condescending to your lack of knowledge about the debate topic and the fact that you harshly scolded cops for carrying pink handcuffs, when you don't know WHY they carry it. You are assuming it is for fashion reasons. Do you really think woman cops just go " Oh wait, that's gonna look pretty on a criminal trlalalalal" Along with pink, you will see lime green, red, blue, yellow etc. I am sure that Pondfly can testify to that.

If I said that I thought that all Brits had bad teeth and were fat old maidens, don't you think you might try to correct me too?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:30 AM
girlfight!!! pull her hair! pull her hair!
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:31 AM
Pink cuffs? I have never heard of handcuffs in colors (that's colours to you quibblers). I've heard of pink FUR cuffs but that's different! ;)
By Wicked_Elphabamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:33 AM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2011-01-06 10:44:37
Dude, if I was a cop, I'd TOTALLY carry pink handcuffs. In fact, I'd get them custom so they'd sparkle! Nothing funnier than gang-banger trash wearing pink sparkly handcuffs. That being said, Pondfly is going to get me a purple handgun as soon as we send $10 to the People's Republic of Illinois for my FOID card and we have the extra money to get it for me. (See photo above) Nothing says "I love you" like a purple firearm for your bride. ;) Could you imagine being a criminal and telling the trauma surgeon you got shot with a purple gun? Ha ha ha. I also want the purple AR-15 pictured below. :D I'm not going to apologize for liking purple. I'd get a leopard print gun if we could find it. :P

Without further adieu....The AR-15 I am drooling over.
Image hotlink - 'http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/EMS_Chick911/myar-15.jpg'
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:38 AM
If the bullet didn't kill them, the shame did ;)

I would carry pink handcuffs so people knew they were mine and stop stealing them off of me; those things are pretty expensive! You don't know how many handcuffs got "stolen" off my boyfriend.
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:40 AM
I haven't seen a cop with ANY handcuffs in years. Down here they all use those plastic zip-tie thingies.
By Wicked_Elphabamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:46 AM
jazz_lover wrote:

If the bullet didn't kill them, the shame did ;)

I would carry pink handcuffs so people knew they were mine and stop stealing them off of me; those things are pretty expensive! You don't know how many handcuffs got "stolen" off my boyfriend.

Why do you think I carry hot pink or purple trauma shears? I also have a purple Littmann stethoscope, I've offered to let others borrow my purple gear, they won't because it's purple. ;)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:52 AM
panic wrote:

I haven't seen a cop with ANY handcuffs in years. Down here they all use those plastic zip-tie thingies.

Watch the "Bait Car" TV show clips on YouTube. Those cops always seem to use hand cuffs. I suspect they use both.

Jon
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:53 AM
Plastic zip things? Man, I would assume those would cut into the wrist if the suspect resisted arrested after being tied up. Those don't sound very user friendly to me lol.
By pondflyPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:53 AM
Edited by pondfly (218838) on 2011-01-06 11:03:33
Alright, calm down everyone. We all have different opinions and have feelings about the subject which is great, but there is no need to have firm points on things. Everyone has to have a little give and take.

As for the subject of purchasing firearms, anyone can become a FFL (firearms dealer) so long as they fill out the appropriate forms, pay the fees and then get a heavy background check by the ATF (regulating authority in the US).

Nobody in this country can go purchase any type of firearm without filling out the proper ATF forms and have a check done.

The only exceptions, are for non-firing, antique (mid 1800 and earlier) and other governmental agencies. That being said governmental agencies still have to fill out special forms when purchasing fully automatic firearms just like the public but they don't have to pay the $200 transfer tax fee.
Transfers between FFL dealers are permitted with nothing other than a transfer form being filled out and sent to the ATF so serial numbers can be tracked.

If Joe Blow citizen walked into a shop, plunked down $300 for a gun, walked out with one and never filled out any paperwork both parties would be in a whole lot of trouble and has a very good chance of some prison time.
Am I saying that it doesn't happen, no. But these transactions are done under the table with stolen firearms and at some point in time they will be caught.
The ATF really does a great job on tracking firearms and dealers, which is surprising when dealing with federal agencies.

Now as for the handcuff colors. They have been used for about 5 years now from determining persons who need special attention (combative persons) to departments and officers wanting to identify their property.
There are no rules that you must have polished, brushed or black cuffs. All they need to do is work as designed by the regulating authority.
Here's a nice link showing some of the more "flavorful" colors available....
www.handcuffwarehouse.com . . .
Hey, Amy uses the purple ones on me when in bed :D j/k

Most officers carry a pair or two of the regular type and then carry flex for more frequent uses or if they won't be transporting to the holding facility. Are they comfortable- No, but they aren't designed to be. They are a temporary restraint and won't cut someone unless they are trying to break out of them but they take 250-300#+ to break them and by then they will be having some other problems.
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:04 AM
Nobody in this country can go purchase any type of firearm without filling out the proper ATF forms and have a check done
That only applies if I'm buying from a dealer. I can just buy from my neighbor, and I don't have to do any paperwork.
By pondflyPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:06 AM
^ yes, but you have to do a s/n transfer and hold it for 10 years.
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:21 AM
Huh?
Florida law allows private firearm sales between residents without requiring any processing
en.wikipedia.org . . . No paperwork. No hold. No nothin as long as it's not across state lines.
By sharra
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:43 PM
I think we need to bring the discussion down to a dull roar, so allow me to quote Eddie Izzard:

"guns don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people (and sometimes, monkeys do too)"

I have to agree with Louise that those who were brought up with a constitutional right to bear arms probably wouldn't miss having that right if they hadn't been brought up with it. Same as us folks from some European countries.

There are so many arguments for and against, some bordering to the plain silly (on both sides). For me, as a citizen in a European country with hefty gun control, I am just at a loss why the right to own a gun is so important, and I'm delighted at living in a country with such laws as we have here. If not I'd move.
re: Are you against owning a gun or for owning a gun. (karma: 5)
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 01:13 PM
Have you never heard of a little thing called the American Revolution? Spoiler: Show
You lost
By kandykanePremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 01:22 PM
No paperwork. No hold. No nothin as long as it's not across state lines.

This is true. There is more paperwork involved in buying a used car than a used gun.

kk~
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 01:23 PM
Edited by Megan (87282) on 2011-01-06 13:25:02
en.wikipedia.org . . .

EDIT: Can't stop baiting the panis. Sorry.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jan 07, 2011 06:35 AM
www.cnn.com . . .

Usually I can't stand reading comments on news articles but there are some good ones on this article about how this is not a problem with guns; it's a cultural problem. Too many people are unable to handle their problems; they are emotionally stunted for whatever reason. So on and so on.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jan 07, 2011 02:26 PM
My boyfriend has his firearms liscence and would love to own a gun one day for using at a firing range, target practice, or maybe even to learn how to hunt. He knows a lot about them and gun safety in general so I feel fairly comfortable with him owning one in our house. I know the gun and ammo will be locked up in separate containers and that our potential children will be taught all about gun safety instead of not talking about it and having it be some "secret" thing for them to be curious about.

The picture is of me at The Gun Store is Las Vegas on vacation. My boyfriend just HAD to take me there. It was REALLY fun and REALLY scary all at once. I thought it was pretty crazy how I had absolutely zero gun experience and here I was with a loaded M249 SAW. It was quite the adrenaline rush and there certainly aren't many (if any) places to do that in Canada where I live.
On Fri Jan 07, 2011 02:35 PM
Megan, you're a master baiter.
By ChristinePremium member
On Fri Jan 07, 2011 02:49 PM
^And according to previous posts, I believe our Panic is a self proclaimed Cunning Linguist. No wonder we all get along so well!

Keep On Dancing*
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jan 07, 2011 02:50 PM
Finally, someone gets something right on this thread. Jeez.
Page:
Page 8 of 10: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch