Forum: Ballet / Ballet Photos - Misc

Pictures on Boys Ballet Dancers on Pointe Shoes.
By fg_1977
On Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:03 PM
Edited by fg_1977 (225640) on 2011-01-04 23:08:36

These are pictures that I happened to locate and I have collected
of young dancer boys of the ballet that are
using ballet pointe shoes or in dance
terms, "Doing ballet en pointe"....

There seems to be some kind of movement in the
area of ballet dance of boys wanting to try
pointe shoes and to do original ballet dance
routines in ballet pointe shoes.

This seems to be something new in
the area of ballet dance.

16 Replies to Pictures on Boys Ballet Dancers on Pointe Shoes.

re: Pictures on Boys Ballet Dancers on Pointe Shoes.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:11 PM
So about how that last kid is gonna snap an ankle.
By kivi2
On Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:32 PM
In my wifes old school in russia all the boys do pointe
By DanceOfTheHeartmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 05, 2011 07:45 PM
it's not unheard of, it's actually encouraged because it makes you stronger. Plus...someone has to play Bottom in The Dream right?

~brooke~
By painttherainbow
On Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:44 PM
DanceOfTheHeart wrote:

it's not unheard of, it's actually encouraged because it makes you stronger. Plus...someone has to play Bottom in The Dream right?

~brooke~

I may sound very stupid right now, but do you mean the character Flute, not Bottom? Otherwise, what did you mean by that?
By ex_gang_girl
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 02:23 PM
Three cheers for all the guys who have done Pointe!! It helps their technique and they now know what we girls have been going through!!
By hummingbird
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 02:32 PM
www.rohedswanlake.org.uk . . .

The character is called Bottom in The Dream, the part was created for Wayne Sleep back in the seventies by Fredrick Ashton
By popergerm
On Sun Jan 09, 2011 07:35 PM
Indeed it is curious, there were a few famouse ones too, George Balanchine could, and soo can Misha Bareshnikove. However, now days it is a lot more prone to be used in genderbending roles like the trocks, and grandiva, and there are tones of guys that want to do it for the wrong reasons.

There are tones of guys that dance on their toes in other folk dances though like in riverdance, georgia folk dance, and in tap dance as well as hip hop at times. I can do a toe stand for a brief second while doing a michael jackson move, but its very differant then standing on them.
By hummingbird
On Sun Jan 09, 2011 07:47 PM
It's no different to girls doing the boys class and I always did the boys classes at college and at the companies I worked for. It really improved my allegro work and my turns.
By DaveTriesBallet
On Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:55 PM
In ABTs subscription guide this season there's a picture of David Hallberg in pointe shoes for Ratmansky's "The Bright Stream". I don't know anything about the Ballet so don't know if he will be performing en pointe in it, but it was certainly a striking image!
By SilverInsanity
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:49 AM
DaveTriesBallet wrote:

In ABTs subscription guide this season there's a picture of David Hallberg in pointe shoes for Ratmansky's "The Bright Stream". I don't know anything about the Ballet so don't know if he will be performing en pointe in it, but it was certainly a striking image!

In the ballet, one of the male characters does dance on pointe and references several classical ballets. :)

I'm trying not to give anything away, but I've seen bits and pieces of the Bright Stream. :)
By danseuretoile
On Thu Jan 13, 2011 08:17 AM
doing pointes is good for boys for strenghtening their ankles
looks like this boy has been encouraged to take pointe class by his teacher
By mickykittymousemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:06 AM
Why shouldn't a boy do point?
I think it's a great way for them to strength their ankles and muscles.

It's a feature and not every boy is able to do it.
By popergerm
On Tue Jan 18, 2011 01:21 AM
True but I have yet to see a guy on youtube that does pointe that is not gay or a fetishist, I know there are at least 50 percent of the guys here that do ballet that are straight, I am sure there are a few but no one stands up to go against the grain on this.

I know that truth be told no matter if one is gay or straight there are always some people so ignorant to the truth it can hit them with a wreckingball and they still wont admit they were wrong, and ultimatly people belive what they want to belive.

I am surprized though that there is not one out there that will buck the stereotype and show that it dont matter who you are if your trained enough you can do pointe as an artist. People stand up to everything else against the grain after all.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 18, 2011 04:47 AM
True but I have yet to see a guy on youtube that does pointe that is not gay or a fetishist,

This just seems to be a variant of the stereotype that men who study ballet are all gay.
re: Pictures on Boys Ballet Dancers on Pointe Shoes. (karma: 1)
By mirrimmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 18, 2011 08:12 AM
popergerm wrote:

True but I have yet to see a guy on youtube that does pointe that is not gay or a fetishist

Ok, a couple points here

1. This is where the internet fails. Youtube does not equal ballet. Youtube is for the general public to upload videos. I can search pointe and find a ton of fetish videos (men and women), a bunch of little girls going on pointe with obviously little to no training, girls going up on homemade pointe shoes, and people going up without pointe shoes on. This does not mean that this is prevalent in the actual ballet world. It just means it is on youtube.

2. Very few professional dancers put videos of themselves on Youtube, therefore, you won't find videos of male professionals on pointe on youtube unless someone else uploads a performance. Doesn't mean they aren't out there. Again youtube does not equal real life.

3. Teenaged boys are not the most accepting people in the world. I am sure many 12-16 year old boys who are learning pointe in order to gain strength and to perfect technique are not going to post videos on youtube and risk ridicule. I have seen the mean comments on youtube videos.

4. I am curious as to how you know that the dancers in a video are gay just by seeing them dance?
By popergerm
On Wed Jan 19, 2011 02:38 PM
the older ones you can tell by their comments on other videos, often how they dress other interests sometimes by im and asking them because I thought they might have been a woman and they are really good.

Not so much the 13-17 boys messing around or taking tech but, the actual men out there this is the case. and yes highschool is a rough place, people thought I was gay since I did not do football, or basketball, and did wrestling cross contry, and track, as well as had a higher voice, and rarely had a girlfriend, or due to my constant dirty jokes in wrestling but that was the majority of the team that told those.

I always liked to dance, and thats why I took up hip hop instead of theatrical dance, both are tough, but breaking was somthing I always wanted to take up since seeing it in the 1980s so when I went into collage I did at the local under 21 nightclub, and been at it since, did not have the stigma of theater dance, and while more painful to fall easier to learn without the flexibillity. so thats why I pop,and do house

hip hop for me
poppergerm

ReplySendWatch