Poll: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 1 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5
Why are women bad at math? (karma: 2)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:53 PM

We all know women are terrible at math. Why is that?

103 Replies to Why are women bad at math?

re: Why are women bad at math? (karma: 11)
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:05 PM
Because guys tell us that 5 inches is actually a big 8-9 inches peni...nevermind
re: Why are women bad at math?
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:18 PM
Meh, generalizations can never hold true. I mean, not everyone falls into a certain category. We're all individuals.

I'm not entirely sure if you are being totally joking, or if there is really a slight unconscious misogynist thought process behind it all? But really, you of all people panic should be open minded and not hold a grain of salt in stereotypes. How can you expect people not to be prejudiced to you if you are prejudiced to them?

That gun debate certainly sparked your women jokes didn't it? Well being apparently sucky at maths, unfortunately I can't find differentiate a derivative for your sexism.
By kandykanePremium member
On Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:26 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-01-05 23:27:24 we can't spell, either
It's the hair dye. Made by men who are trying to create a Stepford Wives thing. We're victims. *Nods*

kk~
On Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:31 PM
Edited by panic (116436) on 2011-01-05 23:38:20 That one word really killed the joke. Much better now.
Look, I have a math-based degree, and there were only a handful of women in my major. So I'm only asking because of my own personal experience. For another example... when I worked as a commodities analyst, the only woman in my department was my secretary. Although she was terrible at math, she was quite excellent at bringing me coffee. Then again, I like my coffee black, so it wasn't much of a brainteaser for her. But every time she brought me coffee, I thought, "Gosh, I don't think a guy could do that any better." So even if women aren't good at math and science and logic and reasoning, they are obviously good at other things. I think we need to realize that women are just as important to society as men. Sandwiches don't make themselves, do they?
re: Why are women bad at math? (karma: 1)
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:34 PM
Women aren't good at anything.

Although I voted "You don't need math to cook and clean, so who cares?" because cooking at least ironically involves math. And science!
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:10 AM
Well, I can say for sure some women are AMAZING at maths and science (I know many, in fact the top ten in maths and science at my school in a year of over two hundred were girls, and the girls were more likely to be top ranked in both). Just using that example to disparage the stupid generalization. I'm not saying women are better at math/science, just women can/are good at maths. I know men who are AMAZING at maths and science too. I know WOMEN and MEN good at making coffee. So we all have different personal experiences? Just because in my relatively small circle, doesn't make it so everywhere. Even one exception (and most have tonnes) disqualifies a generalization. I find it hard to someone educated in yourself (especially in maths and presumably statistics) can generalize.

Panic, you know many people believe in sterotypes and deny people's rights based on it? I know you may be bantering but noone should ever fuel stereotypes.

Maybe the reason in your geographical area, women aren't "good" at maths and science is because they aren't encouraged and prejudiced against at school.
re: Why are women bad at math? (karma: 2)
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:11 AM
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2011-01-06 00:12:15
I'm enjoying the funny! :)

But I will crow a little bit and say that my son is at university as an engineering major and he got there mostly because of his natural smarts and disciplined study but also juuuuust a little from all that ther homeschoolin' his lil ole mama gave him. I taught him myself through algebra II as well as physics and he was so solid in his math foundation that he was able to teach himself trig and pre-calculus. Now that is one man who really is smart cuz he listened to his mama!

And to complete my post I shall offer up a 'dumb men' joke just to really get the war, er, debate going:

Why do men have slits in their underwear? So they can get oxygen to their brains.

:D
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:12 AM
Are you kidding me?
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:15 AM
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2011-01-06 00:19:42
If stereotypes weren't true, they would die out...

Anyways, I am a woman and I suck at math. I don't think I suck because I am a woman, but because my mommy taught me how to make sandwiches as a child instead of sponsoring my mathematical growth. Because I spent my childhood making sandwiches, I never learned how to cook or make coffee. I can't count for crap and I can't make dinner. I try to clean, but dust bunnies scare me.

At least I have long slim legs....

( PS. My mom taught me multiplication even before the age of 5 and I was dividing by the time I was 7 LOL )

In all seriousness, my boyfriend and I was having this conversation the other day." Why are there less woman in the science/math field?" He thinks that teenage girls yap yap yap on the phone and socialize, instead of locking themselves in a room to study. He thinks that some girls are too social to concentrate all alone in a room for hours at a time on a boring subject like math. Heck, I was a bio major, until I realized that I had to spend all my time looking at organisms, that didn't talk to me, through a microscope. Boring as heck, for my personality.
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:24 AM
Famous Women Mathematicians in history:

www.buzzle.com . . .

I briefly entertained the idea of becoming an algebra teacher. HEY WAIT A SEC, whatever happened to MATHLOVER? I should have put her name on the 'whatever happened to' thread!! Anyway, if she was here she'd have a thing or two to say...
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:31 AM
Edited by panic (116436) on 2011-01-06 00:33:13 added another caret
^^But Asians are good at math and women are bad. So I thought you'd be right in the middle.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:34 AM
I am a women. I suck at math. Seriously doubt it is because I am a women. I'm just not mathematically inclined and never put much effort into learning and retaining much mathematical knowledge. Funny thread, though.
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:45 AM
Panic, there is a special rule that cancels out when it comes to mixes.

I am asian and a woman which means I should be a horrible driver. No accidents yet ;) Although that could be because people see that I am a woman AND a asian, so they just avoid me at all costs...hmmm....

Anyways maybe woman are peer pressured more by other girls who make fun of nerdy subjects. Guys might just be like "screw you", but girls might try to fit in more with their none nerdy subjects like sociology or something. Heck, I think sociology is a Bachelors of Science....might have to check up on that.

I think you should make a poll that asks " Why are woman lacking the humor gene" or...." Why do all men cheat" or something.
By PattyPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:50 AM
I'm in the wrong scientific field. There are way too many women in my lab. And unfortunately I have been asked the question "If this is a 100ml bottle, how much silver nitrate do I add to make it 5% silver nitrate?" by a female. She is a complete idiot though.

I will admit that I am quite terrible at doing maths in my head. Give me a calculator and I'm good but my brain just doesn't care about stuff that it doesn't really need to know. I guess my brain is just too small.
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:55 AM
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2011-01-06 00:56:10

I will admit that I am quite terrible at doing maths in my head

Now there's a squabble to start: The whole thing with saying maths instead of math. DRIVES ME CRAZY.

;)
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:57 AM
^Patty, don't feel bad, I know numerous woman at my college who can't even complete college algebra. They failed it like 4 times, and I sit there wondering how in the world you can fail algebra numerous times.
I'm sure men fail it too, but they don't make a big scene with tears, so I never find out about them ;)
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 01:00 AM
Edited by panic (116436) on 2011-01-06 01:01:19 added another caret
^^You're so silly. She's OBVIOUSLY doing more than one math at a time. No mean feat for a woman!
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 01:02 AM
Edited by iliah (130543) on 2011-01-06 01:03:15
I guess I'm not a woman then.

Someone give me my penis back. O_O
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 01:05 AM
Haili your boobs are more fun, you can't have you penis back!

Ok so I will be the first to admit, I had to do a triple look at Patty's example to actually get it. Then it dawned on me why she was so stupid, and now I feel stupid. haha
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 01:30 AM
I'm a woman and I suck at math. Was going through a lot of old stuff cleaning out my old room since the parentals are moving and all and I found a lot of old test scores from elementary school - somehow I used to rock faces off at math (above average scores) and was just average at English. Was in advanced math classes until I made a 69.5 on my 8th grade Algebra final test and you had to make a 70 on it to not have to take another semester of Algebra in 9th grade. Fo' serio, my teacher hated me and it just all went downhill from there.

I love stereotypes. They exist for a reason. Obviously not everyone fits into every stereotype but ya know. Women suck at math, men suck at life.
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 01:47 AM
LOL, apparently, Australian women are not only bad at math, but they're also VERY VERY bitter about it. I expect that sort of anti-humor from the Germans, but from the Australians, it's rather unexpected.

Dear Australian women: If you want to get mad about fakely discriminatory postings, please direct your trumped up ire at rottihound. If you haven't complained about his posts all these years, you really can't even pretend to be offended by mine.
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 03:26 AM
Now there's a squabble to start: The whole thing with saying maths instead of math. DRIVES ME CRAZY

The full word is mathematics, which is why in Britain we shorten to maths. Saying "math" is Britain is thoroughly uncorrect. I'm sure something will now be said about British people being extra-specially bad at maths since we can't spell either, but this is PANIC so we all know it doesn't matter.

As an aside we have exams called SATs in Britain (although they're for 7, 11 and 14 year olds, not school leavers, and they don't mean anything). We pronounce the acronym and says "sats" rather than ess ay tees. So now you know.
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 04:33 AM
Eh, my anti humour obviously comes from my one eighth German. Pft, and I don't suck at math (I'm the only Aussie dimed in on this thread :P) but I must confess it is my least favourite subject. Science is my favourite. I guess I was more inflammatory cause it was on the debates forum, but if it was in general I may have been less offensive haha.

And I don't think we could ever ascertain whether rotti was truly from Australia. His posts are pretty non-discernible. His posts were pretty racist which annoyed me, but I was also sure he was clinically insane.

Eh, so I decided to go with the lipstick option cause I don't waer it :P
By slice
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 04:35 AM
d4j wrote:

I will admit that I am quite terrible at doing maths in my head

Now there's a squabble to start: The whole thing with saying maths instead of math. DRIVES ME CRAZY.

;)

It's math! You wouldn't shorten the United States to the USs...

It's definitely got to be the aluminum in lipstick. Cuz cooking sure do involve ye olde mathematics.
Page:
Page 1 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch