Poll: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 2 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5
re: Why are women bad at math? (karma: 3)
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 05:01 AM
AluminIum in lipstick is currently the favoured excuse. But I never wear lipstick. Is my Vaseline tin made of aluminIum, I wonder?

Anyway, I just thought. I'm marrying an accountant. I don't NEED to be good at maths. And he doesn't need to know how to spell. A match made in core-subject heaven.
re: Why are women bad at math?
By Live_on_Broadway
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 07:07 AM
*waves*

Woman with a math degree here! And for the record, I know plenty of other perfectly normal women with math degrees. I'd say our senior level math classes were about 60-40 with men vs women.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 07:31 AM
Im absolutely horrific at math and would love if you could tell me why so I could remedy the problem. As long as its short of a sex change.
re: Why are women bad at math? (karma: 2)
By imadanseurPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 07:44 AM
I watched a documentary about this. Some research suggests that girls are conditioned at early ages to fall into stereotypes and believe what strengths men and women have and other gender roles. Some research suggests that in school girls are just as good at math until a certain age and then the boys become so much more competitive...but if they are separated into all boy classrooms and all girl classrooms by 4th grade both groups actually continue excelling at math at the same rate and their test scores are the same.

I personally believe that we are just genetically different. Early in life girls (in general) learn to master language and writing by using language to get what they want, girls communicate more, we spend extra time practicing letter writing to friends in school etc. Boys on the other hand spend more time trying to understand problem solving while involved in activities such as trading cards and marbles, figuring out how far their favorite car will travel and what will make it go further, they construct paper airplanes and spend time perfecting them, they build forts and make booby traps, they know early on how many yards one has to run to make a touchdown, or the distance between the span of his arm and the basketball hoop, how far bases on a baseball field are etc. I think there is a lot of evidence to support the fact that early in life boys are involved in activities which require the use of math more so than girls.

By the way I sucked at math!
re: Why are women bad at math? (karma: 8)
By ChristinePremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 08:03 AM
It isn't that women are bad at math, it is that they are so superior in language and reasoning, social interaction and organizational skills, that in the hierarchy of the many things at which they excel, math is further down the list.

Women are also exceptionally good at "faking it", to make men feel better about themselves. This extends to faking being bad at math so men will have something to feel superior about.

Keep On Dancing*
re: Why are women bad at math? (karma: 1)
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 08:30 AM
I thought it was a mixture of all 2 or was that 3? Erm....never mind.

And its MATHS!
By Sumayah
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 08:33 AM
I was actually really good at math - I was always an A+ student and the one required college algebra class I took I had a 103.5 average in (I aced all the tests and extra credit questions) and for my natural science I took astronomy (also very math based) and walked away from that with an easy high A. But I find math to be just like anything else, if you're out of practice then it will be more difficult.

Panic, you seem to be having fun pushing buttons right now and getting everyone into a tizzy. Awesome. I don't know if you're bored, trying to prove a point, or just seeing how far you can push everyone but whatever, you're succeeding. Stirring up drama for drama's sake isn't very flattering on anyone. But, meh, everyone seems to get that you're being tongue in cheek so.... /shrug
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 08:39 AM
It's MATH for the love of God!
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 08:44 AM
^ LOL

I actually quite enjoyed math/s until it came to the 'if a car travelled so far in so many hours how many miles did it cover and how much fuel did it use?' questions.

1. I don't need to know - the car will tell me when the tank is empty and how many miles I have travelled and how fast I travel.

2. I don't care as long as I get there in time.

I did however like algebra. I managed to get a C overall in GCSE but I blame that on changing schools halfway through the year, and being taught 'different' stuff (different examining board) and being moved from top class to middle as there wasn't enough room in the group to have me!
By amarathPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 08:52 AM
Image hotlink - 'http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/how_it_works.png'

Floating text: It's pi + c, of course.
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 08:53 AM
I wasn't bad in Algebra, my downfall was geometry! I had a teacher tell me I'd need that teaching dance for formations. I told him, no I won't. If I am trying to fix spacing I say, "Hey you...move to stage left. awwwhhh yes much better." I don't need to know a theorem for that.
By Sumayah
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 09:12 AM
^ Loved geometry. Hated Trig. That's why I liked astronomy, lots of geometry in it. :D
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 09:22 AM
Awesome. I don't know if you're bored, trying to prove a point, or just seeing how far you can push everyone but whatever, you're succeeding. Stirring up drama for drama's sake isn't very flattering on anyone.
I didn't realize my goal was to flatter you. What an odd comment. But since you asked... It started as a facetious comment, but I think I've bumped it up to "prove a point" status. Unfortunately, it's pretty obvious you still don't get my point. Then again, maybe that was to be expected since most of the moderators are women.

ps - I am GREAT at math (even though I hate it) and I'm also GREAT at English. If only I could date myself.
By hummingbird
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 09:24 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2011-01-06 10:03:43
If I was good at MathS my accountant would be out of a job, so I'm helping keep the working man working with my mathS skills or lack of.

I also have way more important things to do than add up numbers, time management is what it's all about.

In England, where we talk English it's Maths or Mathematics not math :P

Yeah, we speak it too.
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 09:26 AM
^ Where we speak English... :P
By Sumayah
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 09:31 AM
panic wrote:

But since you asked... It started as a facetious comment, but I think I've bumped it up to "prove a point" status. Unfortunately, it's pretty obvious you still don't get my point.

I'd have to say you're right. Unless you're point was that we'd all be baited into this thread and you get to sit back and laugh at all of us for being so stupid... Or maybe your point is that you're not feeling pretty and need an ego boost so telling us that we're incompetent is making you feel better... Or maybe I'm just screwing with you too and enjoying getting a rise out of the Panis. o.O
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:01 AM
My point was that removing my obviously facetious post when you overlook SO MUCH serious and blatant sexism (usually toward men - and including stuff written by moderators) is itself an act of sexism. And since I think the problem is growing worse here on DDN, I believe it is an issue worthy of your further consideration. If nothing else, I'm providing motivation for that further consideration. Furthermore, when there are so many sexist comments to choose from, taking a stand against someone who is consistently a vigorous supporter of equal rights is RETARDED.

I can rewrite this in smaller, more woman-friendly words if you need me to.
By hummingbird
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:06 AM
I like to look at it as more balancing the centuries of sexism towards women by men.

Yup, it's our crusade here on DDN and all of the Mods are in on it too.

What took you so long to work it out Panic?
re: Why are women bad at math? (karma: 2)
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:12 AM
At least no one brought up rape yet....
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:18 AM
I never said it was a crusade. I know you're not doing it on purpose. But clearly, you needed a man to explain the situation to you due to your small brains. And you're welcome.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:19 AM
Can you at least bring some humor into this post? I'm not laughing yet and that's a major disappointment.
re: Why are women bad at math? (karma: 3)
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:20 AM
Very, very late comment, as I've been at my math-based, financial job all day thus far.

Saying "math" is Britain is thoroughly uncorrect.

Do people in Britain commonly use "uncorrect" as a word? It's not even in my dictionary as meaning what it should mean in that instance. Since we're discussing language, I thought I'd ask...curious, heh. My "american" dictionary might just suck at life or something.
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:27 AM
Sara, there is a TON of humor in this thread. You probably just don't see it because (I bet you know where this is going, don't you?) of your tiny brain. It gets filled up with cooking and cleaning, and there's no room left over for humor.
By Sumayah
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:30 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2011-01-06 10:30:55
You're a sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot... who's good at math?
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:31 AM
Ah, LOL at my typo and I hope you didn't actually look it up in the dictionary.
Page:
Page 2 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch