^ I did! Line 3. Sorry, :?

kk~

up to line 1 now!
re: Why are women bad at math?
By kandykanePremium member
On Fri Jan 07, 2011 02:28 PM
It's still line 3 for me. Bizzare!

kk~
re: Why are women bad at math? (karma: 2)
By ChristinePremium member
On Fri Jan 07, 2011 02:31 PM
Edited by topphilly (207347) on 2011-01-07 14:34:24 too many numbers needed to embed and I'm female
Because I have two x chromosomes it took me a while to figure out the REAL reason women are bad at math (or mathS, if you prefer).

Irrational numbers are not usually covered until the upper levels of Mathematics (whew...dodged a bullet there) As we all know, "women are irrational" and therefore can't work numbers until they too become irrational.

Keep On Dancing*
By MJeanette
On Sat Jan 08, 2011 07:48 AM
Incidentally, you do need a little math to cook. Not trigonometry and stuff, but some arithmatic... especially if you're cooking for a large family and have to double or triple recipies.

Anyway, I am female and got the best grades in my college calculus class (Which was about 50-50 girls and guys) last spring semester; I got perfect scores on more than half of the exams. Just saying.
By Mendelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 08, 2011 08:30 AM
I've only skimmed through all the replies, but I'd like to restate something that Imadanseur brought up-- I think women are historically "bad" at math because it's socially acceptable to be so. Many years ago, I watched a documentary on math/ science education and the educator being interviewed was talking about why Americans are bad at math in general (no discussion of gender then). And he hypothesized that until math illiteracy becomes as socially unacceptable as reading illiteracy, there will be no improvement. The example he gave was that nobody would ever sit down at a restaurant and say "Could you read that menu for me? I was never any good at letters." But it's perfectly common for someone to say "Could you figure out the bill? I was never any good at numbers." And I think it's socially even more acceptable for women to make the latter statement than it is for men.

That being said, I do think at least the gender bias is changing. Speaking for myself, I took up through Linear Algebra and Differential Equations in college (NOT the same as high school algebra-- this class works in multiple dimensions using matrices) and got an A. I was encouraged to continue, but given that my major was biochem, I knew that I wouldn't have the time to devote to hard-core math classes like Complex Analysis. In my line of business, women are increasingly working in math-heavy areas. One of my favorite developments of the last few years is the "invention" of sub-diffraction limited microscopy-- three independent research groups independently broke the diffraction barrier to resolution, which had been a paradigm in the field for 150 years. One of the group leaders is a woman, something that probably wouldn't have happened 20 or 30 years ago.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Sat Jan 08, 2011 08:30 AM
I hate doubling and tripling recipies. I actually have a white board in the kitchen in order to do simple math. No joke.
By BgirlDoesBallet
On Sat Jan 08, 2011 08:52 AM
Well, I think it's funny, but that's probably because I think sexist jokes are funny. (I picked the cooking option ;).)

All stereotypes have some degree of truth, and this one is no different. Now, I do very well in math. I love calculus and physics, and I fully intend on majoring in physics when I go to college next year. However...

In my experience, I have known many more guys who naturally excel at math and science than girls. In fact, I'm the only girl in my school that's taking AP physics, and most of the engineering colleges that I'm looking at for next year are only 30% women.

Who knows, maybe it's just a matter of interest...
By MJeanette
On Sat Jan 08, 2011 09:53 AM
According to the 2010 World Almanac (Sadly, I haven't gotten the 2011 World Almanac) in 2009 the average math score on the ACT was 21.6 for males and 20.4 for females. On the SAT, it was 534 and 499. So it obviously is true that on average, guys are a little better at math (At least among high school Juniors and Seniors)but that's just averages.

I liked topphilly's point about irrational numbers. :) Pi happens to be my favorite number anyway.
re: Why are women bad at math? (karma: 1)
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 08, 2011 01:18 PM
Pi happens to be my favorite number anyway.

...and my favorite thing to make in the kitchen.

just kidding, couldn't resist...
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:28 PM
I just found this. You are a nut, but anyway, I was an honor student and did well in math, my mom was a banker for fifty years, Assistant Treasurer of Chase Manhattan Bank and a whiz, even though she never graduated high school. My sister is a whiz at it, as well as my daughter, too.

I am sure that your statistics come from an unreliable source.... OTHER MEN!!

LOL

Still love you!
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:47 PM
According to the 2010 World Almanac (Sadly, I haven't gotten the 2011 World Almanac) in 2009 the average math score on the ACT was 21.6 for males and 20.4 for females. On the SAT, it was 534 and 499. So it obviously is true that on average, guys are a little better at math (At least among high school Juniors and Seniors)but that's just averages.

Sigh, already covered this on the last page.

The study also analyzed the gender gap on the math section of the SAT. Rather than proving boys’ superior talent for math, the study found, the difference is probably attributable to a skewed pool of test takers. The SAT is taken primarily by seniors bound for college, and since more girls than boys go to college, about 100,000 more girls than boys take the test, including lower-achieving girls who bring down the girls’ average score.

Men and women perform equally in scientifically stringent conditions.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 01:50 PM
Heart wrote:

Sigh, already covered this on the last page.

The study also analyzed the gender gap on the math section of the SAT. Rather than proving boys’ superior talent for math, the study found, the difference is probably attributable to a skewed pool of test takers. The SAT is taken primarily by seniors bound for college, and since more girls than boys go to college, about 100,000 more girls than boys take the test, including lower-achieving girls who bring down the girls’ average score.

Men and women perform equally in scientifically stringent conditions.

Good statistics!
By JoyNoellePremium member
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:33 AM
panic wrote:

We all know women are terrible at math. Why is that?
I find this so offensive, I can't even put into words how much it bothers me.

It may just be Panic's attempt at humor or abrasiveness or whatever, but it's really not funny.

His poll choices aren't funny--or accurate or inclusive--either:
Why are women bad at math?

Too much estrogen
Small brain size
Aluminum in lipstick kills brain cells
You don't need math to cook and clean, so who cares?

Where are the choices for the opposing point of view? Like "Women AREN'T bad at math"?

I'm a woman, and I'm definitely NOT bad at math. Nor did I have "too much estrogen" [in fact I had *NO* systemic estrogen when I was in college, thanks to a hysterectomy that removed my ovaries]--blowing away the males in my math classes. I finished with 100+ averages in all but one of my college math classes--and had the highest average of all students in those male heavy classes.

By the way, I didn't wear lipstick nor did I cook and clean.

Honestly, this is one of the most insulting threads I've seen at DDN. And, no, I have not read its replies and don't care to. I don't know or care if Panic redeems himself at some point--but if he did, it seems like this thread would be locked or removed.

It's NOT funny to give young women the idea, with no opposing choices, that men are superior when it comes to math [or anything else].
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:44 AM
Next, I think I'll start a poll that asks why women are bad at humor.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:49 AM
I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn! That's what kind of man I am! You're just a woman with a small brain! With a brain a third the size of us! It's science!
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:11 PM
Yes, tiny brain and HUGE gazongas.
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:13 PM
^ See, that's a fair trade off!

kk~
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 01:08 PM
I'm almost positive my boobs are bigger than my brain, and I have this thread and Chris to thank for bringing that fact to my attention. Why had I never considered this before?
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 01:18 PM
Uh, the OBVIOUS answer is that your tiny little woman-brain didn't have room to consider it. It was too busy thinking about tampons and FDS and birth control pills and whatever else y'all think about all day. Oprah. And babies. Pfft.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 01:27 PM
i think women are bad at math because its actually maths!
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 03:17 PM
Wait wait, is this one boob or the combined volume/mass of both? Put together my boobs are definitely bigger than my brain but I'm not sure if we'd count both or just one. If it's just one, how do we pick which? Or do we have to do averages? If so, which average? Mean, median, mode, other? I cannot do that type of math!!!!!!1!!!!
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 04:02 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-01-24 16:10:16 markup
I never think about Oprah. Except to wish she would go away.

Men are visual creatures. They can't see our brains. They can see our gazongas. It's basic biology. And gazangas were meant to be embraced. Pun intended.

P.S. And don't call me an Oprah-lover. Ever. Again. >_<

kk~
By ChristinePremium member
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 04:18 PM
Edited by topphilly (207347) on 2011-01-24 16:19:51 typo
JoyNoelle wrote:

Honestly, this is one of the most insulting threads I've seen at DDN. And, no, I have not read its replies and don't care to.

You really should give yourself a treat and read some of them. A few laughs might make you less angry. Math, maths, or no math(s), the ladies really held their own.

You might even find a few funny replies hiding out in your own mind and as we never seem to tire of bantering with panic, we'd all appreciate your humor.

Don't be mad. It's panic. You'll notice he didn't choose serenity for a screen name.

Keep On Dancing*

Keep On Dancing* (oops, did it twice. it's a number problem)
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 04:21 PM
^ Unfortunately for us men have the obsession with playing with their brains and slapping them out here there and everywhere. Exposure could explain why they are good at maths?
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 24, 2011 05:25 PM
headdesk
headdesk
headdesk
Facepalm.
Page:
Page 4 of 5: 1 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch