Why are women bad at math?
By panic
On 01/05/2011 22:53:56
We all know women are terrible at math. Why is that?
re: Why are women bad at math?
By YumYumDoughnut
On 01/05/2011 23:05:54
Because guys tell us that 5 inches is actually a big 8-9 inches peni...nevermind
By Cadbury_Eater
On 01/05/2011 23:18:23
Meh, generalizations can never hold true. I mean, not everyone falls into a certain category. We're all individuals. I'm not entirely sure if you are being totally joking, or if there is really a slight unconscious misogynist thought process behind it all? But really, you of all people panic should be open minded and not hold a grain of salt in stereotypes. How can you expect people not to be prejudiced to you if you are prejudiced to them? That gun debate certainly sparked your women jokes didn't it? Well being apparently sucky at maths, unfortunately I can't find differentiate a derivative for your sexism.
By kandykane
On 01/05/2011 23:26:21
It's the hair dye. Made by men who are trying to create a Stepford Wives thing. We're victims. *Nods* kk~
By panic
On 01/05/2011 23:31:09
Look, I have a math-based degree, and there were only a handful of women in my major. So I'm only asking because of my own personal experience. For another example... when I worked as a commodities analyst, the only woman in my department was my secretary. Although she was terrible at math, she was quite excellent at bringing me coffee. Then again, I like my coffee black, so it wasn't much of a brainteaser for her. But every time she brought me coffee, I thought, "Gosh, I don't think a guy could do that any better." So even if women aren't good at math and science and logic and reasoning, they are obviously good at other things. I think we need to realize that women are just as important to society as men. Sandwiches don't make themselves, do they?
By UberGoober
On 01/05/2011 23:34:30
Women aren't good at anything. Although I voted "You don't need math to cook and clean, so who cares?" because cooking at least ironically involves math. And science!
By Cadbury_Eater
On 01/06/2011 00:10:31
Well, I can say for sure some women are AMAZING at maths and science (I know many, in fact the top ten in maths and science at my school in a year of over two hundred were girls, and the girls were more likely to be top ranked in both). Just using that example to disparage the stupid generalization. I'm not saying women are better at math/science, just women can/are good at maths. I know men who are AMAZING at maths and science too. I know WOMEN and MEN good at making coffee. So we all have different personal experiences? Just because in my relatively small circle, doesn't make it so everywhere. Even one exception (and most have tonnes) disqualifies a generalization. I find it hard to someone educated in yourself (especially in maths and presumably statistics) can generalize. Panic, you know many people believe in sterotypes and deny people's rights based on it? I know you may be bantering but noone should ever fuel stereotypes. Maybe the reason in your geographical area, women aren't "good" at maths and science is because they aren't encouraged and prejudiced against at school.
By d4j
On 01/06/2011 00:11:35
I'm enjoying the funny! :) But I will crow a little bit and say that my son is at university as an engineering major and he got there mostly because of his natural smarts and disciplined study but also juuuuust a little from all that ther homeschoolin' his lil ole mama gave him. I taught him myself through algebra II as well as physics and he was so solid in his math foundation that he was able to teach himself trig and pre-calculus. Now that is one man who really is smart cuz he listened to his mama! And to complete my post I shall offer up a 'dumb men' joke just to really get the war, er, debate going: Why do men have slits in their underwear? So they can get oxygen to their brains. :D
By Heart
On 01/06/2011 00:12:07
Are you kidding me?
By YumYumDoughnut
On 01/06/2011 00:15:13
If stereotypes weren't true, they would die out... Anyways, I am a woman and I suck at math. I don't think I suck because I am a woman, but because my mommy taught me how to make sandwiches as a child instead of sponsoring my mathematical growth. Because I spent my childhood making sandwiches, I never learned how to cook or make coffee. I can't count for crap and I can't make dinner. I try to clean, but dust bunnies scare me. At least I have long slim legs.... ( PS. My mom taught me multiplication even before the age of 5 and I was dividing by the time I was 7 LOL ) In all seriousness, my boyfriend and I was having this conversation the other day." Why are there less woman in the science/math field?" He thinks that teenage girls yap yap yap on the phone and socialize, instead of locking themselves in a room to study. He thinks that some girls are too social to concentrate all alone in a room for hours at a time on a boring subject like math. Heck, I was a bio major, until I realized that I had to spend all my time looking at organisms, that didn't talk to me, through a microscope. Boring as heck, for my personality.
By d4j
On 01/06/2011 00:24:27
Famous Women Mathematicians in history: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/famous-women-mathematicians.html I briefly entertained the idea of becoming an algebra teacher. HEY WAIT A SEC, whatever happened to MATHLOVER? I should have put her name on the 'whatever happened to' thread!! Anyway, if she was here she'd have a thing or two to say...
By panic
On 01/06/2011 00:31:24
^^But Asians are good at math and women are bad. So I thought you'd be right in the middle.
By majere
On 01/06/2011 00:34:35
I am a women. I suck at math. Seriously doubt it is because I am a women. I'm just not mathematically inclined and never put much effort into learning and retaining much mathematical knowledge. Funny thread, though.
By YumYumDoughnut
On 01/06/2011 00:45:39
Panic, there is a special rule that cancels out when it comes to mixes. I am asian and a woman which means I should be a horrible driver. No accidents yet ;) Although that could be because people see that I am a woman AND a asian, so they just avoid me at all costs...hmmm.... Anyways maybe woman are peer pressured more by other girls who make fun of nerdy subjects. Guys might just be like "screw you", but girls might try to fit in more with their none nerdy subjects like sociology or something. Heck, I think sociology is a Bachelors of Science....might have to check up on that. I think you should make a poll that asks " Why are woman lacking the humor gene" or...." Why do all men cheat" or something.
By d4j
On 01/06/2011 00:55:19
I will admit that I am quite terrible at doing maths in my head
Now there's a squabble to start: The whole thing with saying maths instead of math. DRIVES ME CRAZY. ;)
By YumYumDoughnut
On 01/06/2011 00:57:07
^Patty, don't feel bad, I know numerous woman at my college who can't even complete college algebra. They failed it like 4 times, and I sit there wondering how in the world you can fail algebra numerous times. I'm sure men fail it too, but they don't make a big scene with tears, so I never find out about them ;)
By panic
On 01/06/2011 01:00:32
^^You're so silly. She's OBVIOUSLY doing more than one math at a time. No mean feat for a woman!
By iliah
On 01/06/2011 01:02:45
I guess I'm not a woman then. Someone give me my penis back. O_O
By YumYumDoughnut
On 01/06/2011 01:05:43
Haili your boobs are more fun, you can't have you penis back! Ok so I will be the first to admit, I had to do a triple look at Patty's example to actually get it. Then it dawned on me why she was so stupid, and now I feel stupid. haha
By Brittany
On 01/06/2011 01:30:48
I'm a woman and I suck at math. Was going through a lot of old stuff cleaning out my old room since the parentals are moving and all and I found a lot of old test scores from elementary school - somehow I used to rock faces off at math (above average scores) and was just average at English. Was in advanced math classes until I made a 69.5 on my 8th grade Algebra final test and you had to make a 70 on it to not have to take another semester of Algebra in 9th grade. Fo' serio, my teacher hated me and it just all went downhill from there. I love stereotypes. They exist for a reason. Obviously not everyone fits into every stereotype but ya know. Women suck at math, men suck at life.
By panic
On 01/06/2011 01:47:04
LOL, apparently, Australian women are not only bad at math, but they're also VERY VERY bitter about it. I expect that sort of anti-humor from the Germans, but from the Australians, it's rather unexpected. Dear Australian women: If you want to get mad about fakely discriminatory postings, please direct your trumped up ire at rottihound. If you haven't complained about his posts all these years, you really can't even pretend to be offended by mine.
By Anon1234567890
On 01/06/2011 03:26:08
Now there's a squabble to start: The whole thing with saying maths instead of math. DRIVES ME CRAZY
The full word is mathematics, which is why in Britain we shorten to maths. Saying "math" is Britain is thoroughly uncorrect. I'm sure something will now be said about British people being extra-specially bad at maths since we can't spell either, but this is PANIC so we all know it doesn't matter. As an aside we have exams called SATs in Britain (although they're for 7, 11 and 14 year olds, not school leavers, and they don't mean anything). We pronounce the acronym and says "sats" rather than ess ay tees. So now you know.
By Cadbury_Eater
On 01/06/2011 04:33:58
Eh, my anti humour obviously comes from my one eighth German. Pft, and I don't suck at math (I'm the only Aussie dimed in on this thread :P) but I must confess it is my least favourite subject. Science is my favourite. I guess I was more inflammatory cause it was on the debates forum, but if it was in general I may have been less offensive haha. And I don't think we could ever ascertain whether rotti was truly from Australia. His posts are pretty non-discernible. His posts were pretty racist which annoyed me, but I was also sure he was clinically insane. Eh, so I decided to go with the lipstick option cause I don't waer it :P
By Anon1234567890
On 01/06/2011 05:01:48
AluminIum in lipstick is currently the favoured excuse. But I never wear lipstick. Is my Vaseline tin made of aluminIum, I wonder? Anyway, I just thought. I'm marrying an accountant. I don't NEED to be good at maths. And he doesn't need to know how to spell. A match made in core-subject heaven.
By SaraTheGrouch
On 01/06/2011 07:31:37
Im absolutely horrific at math and would love if you could tell me why so I could remedy the problem. As long as its short of a sex change.
By Christine
On 01/06/2011 08:03:28
It isn't that women are bad at math, it is that they are so superior in language and reasoning, social interaction and organizational skills, that in the hierarchy of the many things at which they excel, math is further down the list. Women are also exceptionally good at "faking it", to make men feel better about themselves. This extends to faking being bad at math so men will have something to feel superior about. Keep On Dancing*
By reel_faerie85
On 01/06/2011 08:30:56
I thought it was a mixture of all 2 or was that 3? Erm....never mind. And its MATHS!
By Sumayah
On 01/06/2011 08:33:17
I was actually really good at math - I was always an A+ student and the one required college algebra class I took I had a 103.5 average in (I aced all the tests and extra credit questions) and for my natural science I took astronomy (also very math based) and walked away from that with an easy high A. But I find math to be just like anything else, if you're out of practice then it will be more difficult. Panic, you seem to be having fun pushing buttons right now and getting everyone into a tizzy. Awesome. I don't know if you're bored, trying to prove a point, or just seeing how far you can push everyone but whatever, you're succeeding. Stirring up drama for drama's sake isn't very flattering on anyone. But, meh, everyone [i]seems[/i] to get that you're being tongue in cheek so.... /shrug
By reel_faerie85
On 01/06/2011 08:44:16
^ LOL I actually quite enjoyed math/s until it came to the 'if a car travelled so far in so many hours how many miles did it cover and how much fuel did it use?' questions. 1. I don't need to know - the car will tell me when the tank is empty and how many miles I have travelled and how fast I travel. 2. I don't care as long as I get there in time. I did however like algebra. I managed to get a C overall in GCSE but I blame that on changing schools halfway through the year, and being taught 'different' stuff (different examining board) and being moved from top class to middle as there wasn't enough room in the group to have me!
By amarath
On 01/06/2011 08:52:53
[image=http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/how_it_works.png] Floating text: It's pi + c, of course.
By Sumayah
On 01/06/2011 09:12:34
^ Loved geometry. Hated Trig. That's why I liked astronomy, lots of geometry in it. :D
By panic
On 01/06/2011 09:22:42
Awesome. I don't know if you're bored, trying to prove a point, or just seeing how far you can push everyone but whatever, you're succeeding. Stirring up drama for drama's sake isn't very flattering on anyone.
I didn't realize my goal was to flatter you. What an odd comment. But since you asked... It started as a facetious comment, but I think I've bumped it up to "prove a point" status. Unfortunately, it's pretty obvious you still don't get my point. Then again, maybe that was to be expected since most of the moderators are women. ps - I am GREAT at math (even though I hate it) and I'm also GREAT at English. If only I could date myself.
By hummingbird
On 01/06/2011 09:24:17
If I was good at MathS my accountant would be out of a job, so I'm helping keep the working man working with my mathS skills or lack of. I also have way more important things to do than add up numbers, time management is what it's all about. In England, where we talk English it's Maths or Mathematics not math :P Yeah, we speak it too.
By Anon1234567890
On 01/06/2011 09:26:48
^ Where we [i]speak[/i] English... :p
By Sumayah
On 01/06/2011 09:31:46
But since you asked... It started as a facetious comment, but I think I've bumped it up to "prove a point" status. Unfortunately, it's pretty obvious you still don't get my point.
I'd have to say you're right. Unless you're point was that we'd all be baited into this thread and you get to sit back and laugh at all of us for being so stupid... Or maybe your point is that you're not feeling pretty and need an ego boost so telling us that we're incompetent is making you feel better... Or maybe I'm just screwing with you too and enjoying getting a rise out of the Panis. o.O
By panic
On 01/06/2011 10:01:51
My point was that removing my obviously facetious post when you overlook SO MUCH serious and blatant sexism (usually toward men - and including stuff written by moderators) is itself an act of sexism. And since I think the problem is growing worse here on DDN, I believe it is an issue worthy of your further consideration. If nothing else, I'm providing motivation for that further consideration. Furthermore, when there are so many sexist comments to choose from, taking a stand against someone who is consistently a vigorous supporter of equal rights is RETARDED. I can rewrite this in smaller, more woman-friendly words if you need me to.
By hummingbird
On 01/06/2011 10:06:15
I like to look at it as more balancing the centuries of sexism towards women by men. Yup, it's our crusade here on DDN and all of the Mods are in on it too. What took you so long to work it out Panic?
By YumYumDoughnut
On 01/06/2011 10:12:21
At least no one brought up rape yet....
By panic
On 01/06/2011 10:18:50
I never said it was a crusade. I know you're not doing it on purpose. But clearly, you needed a man to explain the situation to you due to your small brains. And you're welcome.
By SaraTheGrouch
On 01/06/2011 10:19:52
Can you at least bring some humor into this post? I'm not laughing yet and that's a major disappointment.
By Munkenstein
On 01/06/2011 10:20:18
Very, very late comment, as I've been at my math-based, financial job all day thus far.
Saying "math" is Britain is thoroughly uncorrect.
Do people in Britain commonly use "uncorrect" as a word? It's not even in my dictionary as meaning what it should mean in that instance. Since we're discussing language, I thought I'd ask...curious, heh. My "american" dictionary might just suck at life or something.
By panic
On 01/06/2011 10:27:41
Sara, there is a TON of humor in this thread. You probably just don't see it because (I bet you know where this is going, don't you?) of your tiny brain. It gets filled up with cooking and cleaning, and there's no room left over for humor.
By Sumayah
On 01/06/2011 10:30:12
You're a sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot... who's good at math?
By Anon1234567890
On 01/06/2011 10:31:13
Ah, LOL at my typo and I hope you didn't [i]actually[/i] look it up in the dictionary.
By panic
On 01/06/2011 10:34:31
Louise, that was just a figure of speech. lol. Obviously she doesn't own a dictionary.
By YumYumDoughnut
On 01/06/2011 10:35:05
The ones that probably don't see the humor in this, are woman who are actually bad at math( maths? huh) mwhahahhha.
By Anon1234567890
On 01/06/2011 10:40:36
^^ I don't own a dictionary either. I um, don't need one? :?
By sharra
On 01/06/2011 12:49:51
The ones that probably don't see the humor in this, are woman who are actually bad at math( maths? huh) mwhahahhha.
Or are the women who have to deal with statements like that on an everyday basis from people who aren't trying to pitch a verbal fight but who believe they are speaking the Gods' honest truth (and yes, the placement of that apostrophe is fully intentional). That's a thought?
By panic
On 01/06/2011 13:15:03
Yeah, being a humorless twit is an effective way to deal with prejudice.
By Megan
On 01/06/2011 13:33:38
http://www.google.ca/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&biw=1217&bih=652&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=women+are+bad+at+math&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= Look at the second image from page three. TEH AWESOME.
By reel_faerie85
On 01/06/2011 13:51:02
^ Lol I bumped my head last night - put some margarine on it before I went to bed. Got up this morning and I can't believe its not better .....
By Trout
On 01/06/2011 14:13:57
but who believe they are speaking the Gods' honest truth (and yes, the placement of that apostrophe is fully intentional).
WHOA. That is SO not mainstream!!! Hipster kitty says http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn3.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/038/973/small/Hipster-Kitty-Youve-never-heard-of-them-Trust-me.jpg%3F1265595083&imgrefurl=http://www.fieldgulls.com/2010/9/29/1720534/pete-carroll-micd-up&usg=__aVWTyGlhVhhXmHHl_NAZtFT7jSc=&h=174&w=175&sz=24&hl=en&start=124&sig2=Ut6grSGVjwvLZ0dNAOTkXw&zoom=0&tbnid=E1yrelaezlAh6M:&tbnh=99&tbnw=100&ei=aTAmTebIEdOhnQe_4Yn4AQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhipster%2Bcat%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D610%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C3211&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=786&vpy=234&dur=2257&hovh=99&hovw=100&tx=102&ty=56&oei=zC8mTaehDYeOnwe0xpTrDQ&esq=7&page=7&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:124&biw=1280&bih=610
By MarlaSinger
On 01/06/2011 14:35:19
Irrefutable proof that women are bad at math: [youtube]NO0cvqT1tAE[/youtube]
By Caulfield
On 01/06/2011 15:14:23
^ Oh, INDEED. Barbie claims that math class is tough, and yet she managed to become a doctor, surgeon, dentist, AND astronaut. You know, alongside a smattering (ie. dozens) of other side jobs. Come on, Barbz. You're not fooling anyone.
By Panda_Bear
On 01/06/2011 18:06:30
I am one of only 2 females in my program at university, its a very math and science heavy program ( geographical bio sciences). I'm proud of my abilites and don't think I'm any worse then the guys at the math aspect. I got one of the top marks in my class. Math " smarts" are effort and study based!! There is no math Gene!!!!
By panic
On 01/06/2011 18:17:41
wow, I'm famous. That happened to me once before when I searched for something random. Hilarious!
By kandykane
On 01/06/2011 18:20:33
It's already third line for me. Your 15 seconds are passing swiftly, lol. kk~
By Megan
On 01/06/2011 18:22:25
That's what I was trying to post. Bah. Hahaha.
By panic
On 01/06/2011 18:26:27
KK, maximize your browser. Still on line 2 :)
By kandykane
On 01/06/2011 18:28:41
^ I did! Line 3. Sorry, :? kk~
By Josiane
On 01/06/2011 18:30:21
Line 2? What do you mean by 2? All the math is making me confused.
By Heart
On 01/06/2011 22:08:55
[b]Math Scores Show No Gap for Girls, Study Finds[/b] The New York Times By TAMAR LEWIN Published: July 25, 2008 http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/25/education/25math.html Three years after the president of Harvard, Lawrence H. Summers, got into trouble for questioning women’s “intrinsic aptitude” for science and engineering — and 16 years after the talking Barbie doll proclaimed that “math class is tough” — [b]a study paid for by the National Science Foundation has found that girls perform as well as boys on standardized math tests.[/b] Although boys in high school performed better than girls in math 20 years ago, the researchers found, that is no longer the case. The reason, they said, is simple: Girls used to take fewer advanced math courses than boys, but now they are taking just as many. “Now that enrollment in advanced math courses is equalized, we don’t see gender differences in test performance,” said Marcia C. Linn of the University of California, Berkeley, a co-author of the study. “But people are surprised by these findings, which suggests to me that the stereotypes are still there.” The findings, reported in the July 25 issue of Science magazine, are based on math scores from seven million students in 10 states, tested in accordance with the federal No Child Left Behind Act. The researchers looked at the average of the test scores of all students, the performance of the most gifted children and the ability to solve complex math problems. They found, in every category, that girls did as well as boys. (To their dismay, the researchers found that the tests in the 10 states did not include a single question requiring complex problem-solving, forcing them to use a national assessment test for that portion of their research.) Janet Hyde, a professor at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, who led the study, said the persistent stereotypes about girls and math had taken a toll. “The stereotype that boys do better at math is still held widely by teachers and parents,” Dr. Hyde said. “And teachers and parents guide girls, giving them advice about what courses to take, what careers to pursue. I still hear anecdotes about guidance counselors steering girls away from engineering, telling them they won’t be able to do the math.” Girls are still underrepresented in high school physics classes and, as noted by Dr. Summers, who resigned in 2006, in the highest levels of physics, chemistry and engineering, which require advanced math skills. The study also analyzed the gender gap on the math section of the SAT. Rather than proving boys’ superior talent for math, the study found, the difference is probably attributable to a skewed pool of test takers. The SAT is taken primarily by seniors bound for college, and since more girls than boys go to college, about 100,000 more girls than boys take the test, including lower-achieving girls who bring down the girls’ average score. On the ACT, another college entrance test, the study said, the gender gap in math scores disappeared in Colorado and Illinois after the states began requiring all students to take the test.
By fairy_dust
On 01/07/2011 12:26:11
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_mar2007/HangmanMath.htm
By MuffinHead
On 01/07/2011 12:45:57
How do you know it's time to get a new dishwasher? When the old one starts to tell you to "do your share". Why don't women wear watches? They don't need one-- there's a clock on the stove. I am a woman. I can't do math. I'll admit it. And I'm okay with it. One last joke before I leave. ...Women's Rights.
By Caulfield
On 01/07/2011 12:57:59
All the math is making me confused.
Of course it is. You're a woman. :P
By YumYumDoughnut
On 01/07/2011 13:07:29
delete this
By YumYumDoughnut
On 01/07/2011 13:08:57
;)
By djchara
On 01/07/2011 13:49:20
^ I did! Line 3. Sorry, :? kk~
up to line 1 now!
By kandykane
On 01/07/2011 14:28:46
It's still line 3 for me. Bizzare! kk~
By Christine
On 01/07/2011 14:31:54
Because I have two x chromosomes it took me a while to figure out the REAL reason women are bad at math (or mathS, if you prefer). Irrational numbers are not usually covered until the upper levels of Mathematics (whew...dodged a bullet there) As we all know, "women are irrational" and therefore can't work numbers until they too become irrational. [youtube]U6iktQ2y1Rs[/youtube] Keep On Dancing*
By MJeanette
On 01/08/2011 07:48:33
Incidentally, you do need a little math to cook. Not trigonometry and stuff, but some arithmatic... especially if you're cooking for a large family and have to double or triple recipies. Anyway, I am female and got the best grades in my college calculus class (Which was about 50-50 girls and guys) last spring semester; I got perfect scores on more than half of the exams. Just saying.
By YumYumDoughnut
On 01/08/2011 08:30:31
I hate doubling and tripling recipies. I actually have a white board in the kitchen in order to do simple math. No joke.
By BgirlDoesBallet
On 01/08/2011 08:52:35
Well, I think it's funny, but that's probably because I think sexist jokes are funny. (I picked the cooking option ;).) All stereotypes have some degree of truth, and this one is no different. Now, I do very well in math. I love calculus and physics, and I fully intend on majoring in physics when I go to college next year. However... In my experience, I have known many more guys who naturally excel at math and science than girls. In fact, I'm the only girl in my school that's taking AP physics, and most of the engineering colleges that I'm looking at for next year are only 30% women. Who knows, maybe it's just a matter of interest...
By MJeanette
On 01/08/2011 09:53:57
According to the 2010 World Almanac (Sadly, I haven't gotten the 2011 World Almanac) in 2009 the average math score on the ACT was 21.6 for males and 20.4 for females. On the SAT, it was 534 and 499. So it obviously is true that on average, guys are a little better at math (At least among high school Juniors and Seniors)but that's just averages. I liked topphilly's point about irrational numbers. :) Pi happens to be my favorite number anyway.
By smileywoman
On 01/08/2011 13:18:09
Pi happens to be my favorite number anyway.
...and my favorite thing to make in the kitchen. just kidding, couldn't resist...
By Heart
On 01/10/2011 12:47:46
According to the 2010 World Almanac (Sadly, I haven't gotten the 2011 World Almanac) in 2009 the average math score on the ACT was 21.6 for males and 20.4 for females. On the SAT, it was 534 and 499. So it obviously is true that on average, guys are a little better at math (At least among high school Juniors and Seniors)but that's just averages.
Sigh, already covered this on the last page.
The study also analyzed the gender gap on the math section of the SAT. Rather than proving boys’ superior talent for math, the study found, the difference is probably attributable to a skewed pool of test takers. The SAT is taken primarily by seniors bound for college, and since more girls than boys go to college, about 100,000 more girls than boys take the test, including lower-achieving girls who bring down the girls’ average score.
Men and women perform equally in scientifically stringent conditions.
By JoyNoelle
On 01/24/2011 10:33:12
We all know women are terrible at math. Why is that?
I find this [b]so offensive[/b], I can't even put into words how much it bothers me. It may just be Panic's attempt at humor or abrasiveness or whatever, but it's really not funny. His poll choices aren't funny--or accurate or inclusive--either:
Why are women bad at math? Too much estrogen Small brain size Aluminum in lipstick kills brain cells You don't need math to cook and clean, so who cares?
Where are the choices for the opposing point of view? Like "Women AREN'T bad at math"? I'm a woman, and I'm definitely NOT bad at math. Nor did I have "too much estrogen" [in fact I had *NO* systemic estrogen when I was in college, thanks to a hysterectomy that removed my ovaries]--blowing away the males in my math classes. I finished with 100+ averages in all but one of my college math classes--and had the highest average of all students in those male heavy classes. By the way, I didn't wear lipstick nor did I cook and clean. Honestly, this is one of the most insulting threads I've seen at DDN. And, no, I have not read its replies and don't care to. I don't know or care if Panic redeems himself at some point--but if he did, it seems like this thread would be locked or removed. It's NOT funny to give young women the idea, with no opposing choices, that men are superior when it comes to math [or anything else].
By panic
On 01/24/2011 11:44:44
Next, I think I'll start a poll that asks why women are bad at humor.
By Megan
On 01/24/2011 11:49:19
I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn! That's what kind of man I am! You're just a woman with a small brain! With a brain a third the size of us! It's science!
By panic
On 01/24/2011 12:11:30
Yes, tiny brain and HUGE gazongas.
By kandykane
On 01/24/2011 12:13:34
^ See, that's a fair trade off! kk~
By Megan
On 01/24/2011 13:08:21
I'm almost positive my boobs are bigger than my brain, and I have this thread and Chris to thank for bringing that fact to my attention. Why had I never considered this before?
By panic
On 01/24/2011 13:18:30
Uh, the OBVIOUS answer is that your tiny little woman-brain didn't have room to consider it. It was too busy thinking about tampons and FDS and birth control pills and whatever else y'all think about all day. Oprah. And babies. Pfft.
By reel_faerie85
On 01/24/2011 13:27:14
i think women are bad at math because its actually maths!
By Anon1234567890
On 01/24/2011 15:17:53
Wait wait, is this one boob or the combined volume/mass of both? Put together my boobs are definitely bigger than my brain but I'm not sure if we'd count both or just one. If it's just one, how do we pick which? Or do we have to do averages? If so, which average? Mean, median, mode, other? I cannot do that type of math!!!!!!1!!!!
By kandykane
On 01/24/2011 16:02:57
I never think about Oprah. Except to wish she would go away. Men are visual creatures. They can't [i]see[/i] our brains. They [i]can[/i] see our gazongas. It's basic biology. And gazangas were meant to be embraced. Pun intended. P.S. And don't call me an Oprah-lover. Ever. Again. >_< kk~
By Christine
On 01/24/2011 16:18:03
Honestly, this is one of the most insulting threads I've seen at DDN. And, no, I have not read its replies and don't care to.
You really should give yourself a treat and read some of them. A few laughs might make you less angry. Math, maths, or no math(s), the ladies really held their own. You might even find a few funny replies hiding out in your own mind and as we never seem to tire of bantering with panic, we'd all appreciate your humor. Don't be mad. It's panic. You'll notice he didn't choose serenity for a screen name. Keep On Dancing* Keep On Dancing* (oops, did it twice. it's a number problem)
By reel_faerie85
On 01/24/2011 16:21:54
^ Unfortunately for us men have the obsession with playing with their brains and slapping them out here there and everywhere. Exposure could explain why they are good at maths?
By CompactDisco
On 01/24/2011 17:25:36
headdesk headdesk headdesk ... Facepalm.
By mcardles
On 05/02/2011 13:06:16
does anyone else find this post incredibly sexist? I currently have an A in Geometery while most guys in my grade are currently taking algebra 1. i know a lot of women who are amazing in math and i think generalizations like this are downright pathetic.
By Cien
On 05/02/2011 13:58:05
Uh...yes, many, many people in the previous 4 pages of this thread also find this post incredibly sexist. Don't forget to read before you post.
By CheesePlusCake
On 05/04/2011 12:12:49
It's odd because I'd assume women would have to be good at math. We have to know fractions to figure out how to switch up recipes. We need to balance the budget. We need to count how many children we have. Maybe some physics to figure out just how badly little Timmy is going to be injured if he goes down that hill at 30mph on his bike and hits the log at the bottom. We need to know probability...what's the probability that I'm going to have to drive my drunk friends home, for example. Percentages- that guy's muscles are are 24% bigger than the other one's, yet his shirt is 50% smaller. See, women do have to be good at math.
By CaitDestiny
On 05/04/2011 18:18:23
As my math teacher says, "Math is not about the problem, but the thinking process." So taking that, I guess all of us women don't have the ability to handle these types of things meant for men...but then again. WOMEN ROCK at so many more things then men :P

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 08/09/2022 13:50:26