Popular Teachers

Recital Music HELP! Age 8 Jazz Class by KLynnR1103
I need any help with recommendations on a fun upbeat jazz song to use for recital! It is a jazz...

Forum: Twirling / Twirling

Twirling
Majorette try outs for Middle School and High School en>fr fr>en
By Majorettecoach09 Comments: 28, member since Sat Jan 08, 2011
On Sat Jan 08, 2011 08:51 AM

I could really use any advice that anyone has. This is my first year of holding try outs. I need to know mostly what things to judge on and what should be worth the most. Also how do you handle telling a girl she hasn't made the squad. How should my try outs be different for my middle school majorettes and for my high school. Should I make everyone do solos or just the ones trying out for captain and feature twirler. Thanks.

8 Replies to Majorette try outs for Middle School and High School

re: Majorette try outs for Middle School and High School en>fr fr>en
By buckeye2 Comments: 3669, member since Sat Jan 01, 2005
On Sat Jan 08, 2011 08:28 PM
When I did try-outs, we held a clinic for a few days prior to the actual try out. The girls had a list of twirls and tricks they had to be able to do and also learned a short routine to perform for the judges. It helped to see how quickly (or slowly) they pick up choreography and how well they perform with material they just learned. And it also gave you an idea of how well the girls perform together. This is important when picking a squad.
By kmgmom Comments: 139, member since Tue Apr 17, 2007
On Sun Jan 09, 2011 07:39 PM
When I judged for a high school team, the girls learned about 10 basic twirls (Thumb toss, fig 8's, 1 turn, etc.) and then a short routine. 3 girls came in together and each one took turns doing the basic twirls and then all three together performed the routine. (This way they could rely on one another if they got lost, plus it was a great comparison tool to use). Each girl had a number from the beginning. At the end a list of the #'s were posted on the door and that is who made it. That way people did not know names just their number and it wasn't as embarrassing if they didn't make the squad. Those that didn't make it if they wanted to come up to us later we would tell them what skills they needed to work on for next time. Before we posted the results we brought them all back in and discussed meeting times, what we saw and about how many we were planning to pick so that they had an idea of what to expect.
By kmgmom Comments: 139, member since Tue Apr 17, 2007
On Sun Jan 09, 2011 07:40 PM
When I judged for a high school team, the girls learned about 10 basic twirls (Thumb toss, fig 8's, 1 turn, etc.) and then a short routine. 3 girls came in together and each one took turns doing the basic twirls and then all three together performed the routine. (This way they could rely on one another if they got lost, plus it was a great comparison tool to use). Each girl had a number from the beginning. At the end a list of the #'s were posted on the door and that is who made it. That way people did not know names just their number and it wasn't as embarrassing if they didn't make the squad. Those that didn't make it if they wanted to come up to us later we would tell them what skills they needed to work on for next time. Before we posted the results we brought them all back in and discussed meeting times, what we saw and about how many we were planning to pick so that they had an idea of what to expect.
By Twirlguy Comments: 460, member since Fri Sep 06, 2002
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 08:12 AM
When was working with a school I would have them do a solo of about a min and a half long , bring them all back to do the bascis in a group. If there is ONE and only one as a stand out they would be feature. and If someone would make the twirl line I would offer them a spot in the flag line for a year and next year ask them to take baton lesson's that way you always have a pool of twirler's on there way up.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11510, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:21 PM
. and If someone would make the twirl line I would offer them a spot in the flag line for a year and next year ask them to take baton lesson's that way you always have a pool of twirler's on there way up.
This attitude sucks. You're basically telling the kids that the flags are just the b-squad for the majos. That's lazy and counterproductive unless you ONLY care about the twirlers and not the guard. If your flag corps. consists of fat, uncoordinated girls who stand in the back, that is YOUR fault as an instructor. That attitude went out of style in the 80s, and absolutely no modern organizations structure their marching units that way.
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 02:25 PM
Edited by Majorettecoach09 (230250) on 2011-01-10 16:25:05
Well we've never had a middle school flag team so this is how we plan to start one, its how our high school flag team got started. We only have a limited number of spots on the high school team, so if the girls aren't good enough in middle school then they might not be by high school. So this gives them a back up so theyre still part of a team, and thats the most important part. Oh, and I wasn't even alive in the 80's. And as an instructor I can only teach to the best of my knowledge and my majorette coach was both the coach of flags and majorettes. I just want my girls to feel like part of a team so if I can offer them something besides majorettes when they don't make the squad then I don't see anything wrong with it. The only reason I want to start a flag corp for middle school is so that it will help to build up the high school team in a few years and so my girls that I have to cut will have something else they can do. I'm not doing this to disrespect flag girls in any way.
By buckeye2 Comments: 3669, member since Sat Jan 01, 2005
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 09:49 AM
I don't think the OP meant that her Flag Corps would become a line of second rate twirlers. She is simpily trying to find a way to keep the possibilities of being part of a group and performing open to more girls than she is able to accept for the majorette line.

Are baton twirling and flags the same thing? No. Is one better than the other? That's a matter of personal opinion.

You try out for soccer and get cut. Does that mean you can't go try out for track? If so, does that mean that the track team is nothing more than all the rejected soccer players? No. It's just another opportunity for students to become involved in. Running is required for soccer and is also a part of track. Just like understsanding musicality and 8 counts are a part of both Baton and Flags. I believe the OP plans to have her group open to everyone, not just the ones who didn't make the cut.

Let's help encourage our new coaches so they can grow and keep these sports alive. I've seen them die off in areas all too often because they do not have the leadership to keep the programs strong.
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 01:18 PM
Thank you!!

ReplySendWatch