Forum: Advice / Secrets PG-13

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Smoking weed...
By Anonymousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 09:39 PM

I was introduced to marijuana over Thanksgiving break when I hung out with aome friends I haven't seen in a while (they are off at college)..and I must admit, I enjoyed the experience quite a bit. BTW==There was absolutely no peer pressure, it was under my will, and I'm glad I did it.
I told my best friends about my experience and they are curious aswell, they want to try it out with me. We kind of planned on being open minded and trying it out during Ski Week (which is a week and a half from today)--which I am cool with, but it makes me SLIGHTLY nervous, just because it is illegal and all that and we are 16-17 years old. I guess I'm just trying to weigh the options--does the bad outweigh the good? I don't really know what I'm looking by posting here, just some validity that what we're going to do is alright and we're not horrible people for wanting to try it? Guess I'm looking for some input here. Thanks.

34 Replies to Smoking weed...

re: Smoking weed...
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 09:56 PM
Some people are going to tell you that marijuana is dangerous and harmful to people, others will tell you that it's perfectly safe. I'm not even going to bother telling you what I believe because it should have no impact on what you think about it.

If you're going to take recreational drugs of any kind, you need to do your own research and come to an educated decision on whether the benefits outweigh the drawbacks for you personally for each particular substance. There's no excuse for not looking at the information when it is so freely available on the Internet.

Here's some Wikipedia to get you started:
en.wikipedia.org . . .
en.wikipedia.org . . .
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:03 PM
I'll just point out the likelyhood that you'll get arrested and have to get bailed out on Spring Break. Bailed my ex out for possession. Was it worth it for me? Absolutely not.
By pondflyPremium member
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:14 PM
Think about any potential jobs you may want to get, or schools have been known to do random testing for extracurricular activities.

It it worth the risk at this point in life? I pass no judgement in either direction, just giving some potential outlooks.
By CheesePlusCakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 PM
All I have to say is that I tried weed once when I was 17 (didn't get high or anything though) and I wish I hadn't. I have many friends who have had to do security clearances for jobs and whether or not they've smoked weed has been one of the questions. I hadn't even considered that issue when I was 17.
By Wicked_Elphabamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 PM
CheesePlusCake wrote:

All I have to say is that I tried weed once when I was 17 (didn't get high or anything though) and I wish I hadn't. I have many friends who have had to do security clearances for jobs and whether or not they've smoked weed has been one of the questions. I hadn't even considered that issue when I was 17.

THIS. If you ever want a government job, become a member in the US military, become a police officer, etc. It's not worth the risk. Where I live and also where I am from, Police depts and Fire Depts administer polygraphs and I do know "have you ever done any illegal drug?" is one of the questions. (Sources since everyone gets their panties in a twist if you don't cite them: It's listed right in employment requirements, plus I have friends who have had to take Polygraphs as a condition for employment, I also have a cousin in the US military) Plus, if you ever get caught and arrested for weed, there goes your security clearance for a high ranking military/government job.
By kandykanePremium member
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:07 PM
I guess the pro side would be you are still juveniles and any arrest record would fall under juvenile code. Then if you did get caught and have a record, it wouldn't be as bad as an adult record. A small amount in possesion or under the influence is a misdemeanor and not a felony. A juvenile misdemeanor charge is pretty easy to hide.

If this is at a hotel, then I highly advise against it because the odor will be hard to hide.

Worth the risks?

*shrug* Up to you.

kk~
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:17 PM
I've smoked a lot of weed in my life. Was it worth it? Yeah. It was fun, and mellow, and was a big part of my high school experience. Where I come from nearly everyone has tried it, and a lot of people smoke it regularly (were very liberal), so it wasn't that big of a deal. The chances of getting put in jail if you are smart about it, aren't very big, especially if you only have a small amount of it. BUT it is true that you will have taken something illegal and therefore are subject to fail tests for jobs. For me, it was worth it, because I would never work for the government, but for you this might be different.
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:17 AM
I have never had it but pretty much all of my friends have tried or use it.
I have no problem with it, I am totally for it being legal. But it completely up to you if the experience is worth risking future jobs/arrest etc.
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 02:55 AM
if it makes you "SLIGHTLY" nervous. don't do it. you all have plenty of time to try weed during the rest of your lives. try it somewhere where it's less likely you'll get caught maybe?
if you don't mind getting caught ('cause you know just because you think you won't... well you probably will. our county is like weed county, and people used to say you can't even get caught down here. well guess what last summer quite a few of them got caught).
and if you decide to do it. don't tell the world about it. just some advice.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 07:38 AM
I never cared to try it and now I'm glad I didn't...on the background paperwork for my job, they ask questions about whether you've ever used any illegal drugs. If you get caught lying, big trouble happens. It's not worth the risk to my career, but I know others who don't feel the same way.

I don't know what "ski week" is but it sounds like some sort of trip...I wouldn't really recommend it. The people I know who use weed at least keep it at home.
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 08:18 AM
*if* you do your research and decide to go ahead and try it I'd strongly reccomend having one person stay sober just in case of emergency (bad reaction, bad trip, fire in the building, parent calls with an emergency, etc, etc.). The one time I tried weed I had a really really bad experience, and everyone was too high to help me out. It was terrifying at the time, and not something I'd like anyone else to experience.

I also think waiting until you hit college is a better idea, you're less likely to get caught, and in many college towns (in my experience) nobody cares unless you smoke in front of a cop or endanger someones life. Highschoolers tend to be treated more harshly from what I've seen.
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 09:02 AM
^Just to point this out, there is no "bad trip" on weed. It's called Greening out and it happens when you've smoked too much for your tolerance level. It's happened to me once and I thought I was dying. There are bad reactions though, and those are no more fun then greening out.
re: Smoking weed... (karma: 1)
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 09:56 AM
It's called "pulling a whitey" where I live but besides that, you'e contradicted yourself. There's no bad trip but there might be a bad reaction? Same thing.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:16 AM
There's no bad trip because weed does not make you hallucinate and you can't have a bad trip without hallucinating. That's what a trip is.
By ChristinePremium member
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:21 AM
My suggestions may sound lame to many, but I am going to make them anyway.

Right now, you are all 16-17. It may seem as though a year or two feels like ten or twenty years, but that is how it is going to feel if you get caught, even as a juvenile, and have to report to a probation officer, be subjected to random testing until you're 21, and have to work extra hours to pay for your lawyer and court fines. No matter now "careful" you are, you are kids and eventually someone is going to get caught. Also, although your lawyer will be able to work out an expungement agreement, you will NOT EVER be able to drive a tractor trailer, or fly an airplane. Maybe this doesn't matter to you, but someday it may.

Now, about a year or two. When you are 18 you can legally travel to Amsterdam and smoke pot until you forget who you are, how you got there, and if and when you showered last. You can buy green space cakes and eat pot if you don't want to smoke. You can join tour groups like 420 tours and visit 30 or more "coffee shops" in 5 days. You can even purchase a judges' tag and judge the Cannabis Cup in November. Believe it or not, all of this is possible for much less money, risk, and trouble, than ruining a ski trip. Save the money you'll spend on pot now, and make it a real learning experience in a year or two.

Aside, the purpose of your trip is to ski. The feeling of exhilaration from skiing for hours, feeling yourself gain skill as you rack up "mileage", and sleep soundly from a great workout,is actually a better feeling than smoking pot.

When I was a kid, my parents flatly refused to spend the money it cost to ski. The annual ski trip? Half the kids got drunk or high, or pregnant, but didn't actually ski. I wanted to ski so badly but because of my family's finances it was out of the question. When I'd hear the "war stories" of the trip I felt doubly cheated. Here these friends of mine had an opportunity to do something I couldn't afford and instead of embracing the opportunities they did what the rest of us without positive options were doing down in the basement while we were feeling sorry for ourselves, or feeling like misfit losers. Thank god I had my pointe shoes. It was the only thing that saved me from choosing the path of least resistance.

I hate it when people preach against MJ with a bunch of scare tactics. It is true that most people don't get arrested. I've never seen anyone so messed up on pot that they picked a fight or threw up or any of the things booze will do. But there is a subtle corruption that comes with joining the MJ subculture.

To start with, just because it's illegal, you take on a different attitude about laws and law enforcement. An attitude that may work well when maintaining pot connections, but an attitude that you may find uncomfortable, at best, when dealing with criminals. There is also a certain devil may care attitude that comes with smoking. Not much bothers you, you don't feel any internal pressure to accomplish much, and when you're 22 and have been smoking for 6 years, you will actually feel proud of the fact that you haven't changed much. Cool to some, but in reality, sad. No change, no growth, not much future.

Think about this decision very carefully. Not only are you squandering the opportunity of the ski trip, you are alienating yourself from others who have resisted this life style. If you participate in your teenage life now in a way that expresses gratitude to your opportunities and pride in yourself, you can go into your adult life with all your good choices fully intact.

And this includes the opportunity to travel to Amsterdam and see what it's really all about.

Keep On Dancing*
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:38 AM
The BEST website to learn about drugs in an unbiaised way is erowid.org

You search for the drug's vault.

Here is the marijuana one: www.erowid.org . . .

It tells you everything: positive effects, negative effets, the law, the chemical in it. You can also search for testimonies, scientific research, etc.

From my personal experience, the info on that website is VERY accurate.

At 16 you are old enough to make your own decision. It IS illegal. In my province however, no one ever gets arrested for smoking a joint. Is it like that everywhere? No.
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:04 AM
sorry...bad trip was a typo, my fingers were going faster than my brain and I didn't catch that. I do actually know that you don't trip on weed. Thanks to those who caught that!

I did still have a really bad experience. I probably have a low tolerance or something, my friends were fine and I was not; time moved weird, I was super paranoid and freaked out for about an hour (felt like an eternity) before falling asleep. Don't know what went wrong, but don't care to repeat it. My experience was pretty uncommon, but I still think having a sober person around when you're getting high, drinking, or whatever is a good idea.

That said, there are two sides to every story. I know smart, extremely motivated and functional adults (way past college age) who also smoke on a fairly regular basis (and have since highschool/college). I know adults in the same age bracket who are incredibly lazy and low functioning and also smoke on a regular basis. Personality or drug? I don't know. I do know that extensive research on any recreational drug (including alcohol and cigarettes) is recommended, know what you're getting into. Be careful. Stay safe.
Original Poster
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:54 PM
You guys have given me a lot of food for though. Thank you!
I'll tell you straight up though, I am still considering it. Not 100% sure though, but I will do some research and discuss it with my friends to make a decision.
Just to clear things up: if we WERE to do it, it wouldn't be at a ski resort or a hotel or anything, it would probably be at someone's house. I would be back home. Ski week is just a week off so students can meet with their family and travel/ski without the 'hassle' of winter break crowds, it's stemmed a couple years from budget cuts. I realize it's probably just my school district thing. Sorry for the confusion.
On Wed Jan 12, 2011 01:26 AM
Dancing_EMT wrote:

CheesePlusCake wrote:

THIS. If you ever want a government job, become a member in the US military, become a police officer, etc. It's not worth the risk. Where I live and also where I am from, Police depts and Fire Depts administer polygraphs and I do know "have you ever done any illegal drug?" is one of the questions. (Sources since everyone gets their panties in a twist if you don't cite them: It's listed right in employment requirements, plus I have friends who have had to take Polygraphs as a condition for employment, I also have a cousin in the US military) Plus, if you ever get caught and arrested for weed, there goes your security clearance for a high ranking military/government job.

I have a security clearance - passed the polygraph and everything - and I've smoked pot. I know a few others who have as well. It's a bit of an open secret. Polygraphs are not lie detectors, they only measure bodily reactions to nervousness.

It's only illegal if you get caught.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 12, 2011 01:35 AM
Brittany wrote:

There's no bad trip because weed does not make you hallucinate and you can't have a bad trip without hallucinating. That's what a trip is.

Oh, come on, Brittany! I would expect you to know this.

In extremely rare cases, yes, weed can make you hallucinate. It can cause closed-eye visuals, visual distortions, and straight-up hallucinations. Typically, but not necessarily, in very high doses.
By Shnaynaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 12, 2011 04:56 AM
Can I just say that I smoke pot, have been smoking pot for ... seven years - ish ... and I am a fully functional adult, I work 40 hours a week or more, I go to school full time and have straight A's, I pay my bills, I take care of my dog, I work out every day, I climb mountains in the summer, snowboard in the winter ... run and swim and read and enjoy life. If I'm failing to do something that others who don't smoke pot do ... let me know.

It's a personal choice. Some people don't like weed, and those people should not smoke it. One of my friends pretended to be a stoner when we first met because he thought he and I would hit it off better if he was "like" me, but I could tell immediately that he didn't smoke like I did. He and I smoked a blunt with my best friend and he asked us, "How you feelin'??" and we were like ... "Business as usual, dude." lol He admitted that pot makes him feel paranoid and makes him "think too much" and he doesn't like the feeling. Someone like that should not smoke. Marijuana just isn't that type of person's cup of tea, so to speak, and if that's you, don't try to make yourself like weed just because so many other people in the world enjoy it. It's not a necessity of life.

Other people smoke occasionally, and enjoy it, and that's cool. Still others smoke almost every waking moment of the day. And that's cool.

You decide what's right for you. No one will ever agree on this topic, and it won't matter in the long run anyways because none of us will be there with you.

peace out
sh'naynay
By mirrimmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 12, 2011 09:06 AM
Ok, I am not going to say one way or the other if you should or not because I think it is a really personal decision. I have friends who smoked pot as teens. I tried it around your age and didn't like it. My husband never cared to try it.

I just had to respond to this statement

anonymous wrote:

It's only illegal if you get caught.

I couldn't disagree with this more. It is illegal, whether you get caught or not. You will only get in trouble if you get caught, but you have still done something illegal. That is the same as saying stealing is only illegal if you get caught, or murder? Well, no, it is always illegal. Obviously marijuana possession is not on the same level as murder, but they both do break the law (in the US anyway). The issue is how comfortable you are with breaking this particular law. There are many laws that people break every day because they are comfortable with it (under aged drinking, speeding, littering, not wearing a seat belt come to mind).

If this is something you want to do, you are comfortable with it and you know the risks, then it is your decision. Just don't get in to the "it is only illegal if you get caught" mindset.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 12, 2011 09:30 AM
I don't think you're a horrible person, but I do agree with whoever said that if you're feeling nervous, you might want to skip it. Nervousness is your subconscious's way of warning you that this might not be a great idea. Also, it sounds like you are going to be smoking with a bunch of people who've never tried it before, and you've only done it once? That scenario doesn't really sit well with me. Pot, like any drug, affects different people in different ways, and although it's unlikely that any of you will become violent or aggressive, some people may feel sick, or nervous, or paranoid, or panicky, and the rest of you probably won't know how to handle it. Not exactly a recipe for a fabulous time.
By Shnaynaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 12, 2011 01:50 PM
If you get paranoid while smoking, just force yourself to remember "I'm not dying, I'm just high". And then color, and listen to music.

peace out
sh'naynay
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch