Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Crazy coach!
By teaching22yearsPremium member
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:58 AM

I am a new coach for our high school dance team and have a few questions! #1. Do you have a jv and a varsity team? #2 Do you select by ability level or age? #3 How do you keep sane? I have been teaching dance for years and years but these high school girls bring a new aspect of "respect!" My studio girls NEVER did this! Thanks for your help!!!

2 Replies to Crazy coach!

re: Crazy coach!
By Majorettecoach09
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 02:44 PM
Hi, I'm not a dance coach but I'll see if I can help. First of all remember its now your squad and you can do with it what you like. If you have a lot of girls trying out then I would have a Varsity and JV squad. I would pick the teams by ability instead of age, but thats just me. Keep sane by trying your best and trial and error. Tell your team that your new at this and perhaps have a time at practices when they can tell you how they think you might improve.
re: Crazy coach!
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 12, 2011 06:19 PM
Okay, I'm not a coach, but I can answer most of your questions. At my school, we have a JV and a Varsity. It is based on ability, but there are some exceptions to that. For example, a senior who has been on the team all of their years will either make Varsity or not make it at all. For juniors and sophomores, you must be quite good to make Varsity. Freshman aren't allowed to make Varsity, and must spend at least a year on JV before moving up.

ReplySendWatch